Source Monitor Oddities

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Simon

Source Monitor Oddities

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 7:40 pm

For all the things there are to love about Resolve, there seems to be plenty of work yet to be done.

Is there really no way to zoom into the 'timeline' of a clip in the Source Monitor? I have two markers fairly close together on a long clip. In the Source Monitor, they appear as one. I'd like to 'zoom in' to see those markers separately. Can it be done?

Also, the marker navigation keyboard shortcuts don't work in the Source Monitor. They work fine in the timeline. Bug? Glitch on my system? Design failure?

There seems to be no way to punch in an exact timecode in the Source Monitor. WTF?!

Resolve Studio 14.1
Windows 10 Pro (1709)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Source Monitor Oddities

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 1:24 am

Marker navigation works on my Mac system, as does timecode entry when the source viewer has focus.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jim Simon

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks, Peter.

Updating to 14.1.1 seems to have resolved the Marker issue.

Timecode entry is also working, albeit differently than I'm accustomed so I didn't find it right away.

But there still seems to be no way of zooming in on the Source Monitor timeline. Can that really not be done, or is this something I'm also missing?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 1:26 am

Not as yet
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

John Paines

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 1:42 am

It would be grand if the timeline sizing shortcuts -- zoom in/out, display all, etc. -- also worked in the source viewer.

Jim Simon

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 2:36 am

Yes it would, John. I do believe this is another one of those "You really released the software without this ability?" features.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

PeterMoretti

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 4:35 am

Come on. Isn't "Not as yet" encouraging enough?
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Jim Simon

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 4:28 pm

I think my argument is that Resolve is new to the NLE marketplace. However, the NLE market is not a new one. There are certain basic expectations that should be there from the start.

If you want to start a new car company in the 21st century, you have to offer seatbelts, side and rearview mirrors, windshield wipers, radios, etc. from the start. You can't add them later.

BMD has given us four wheels and a motor, and by all appearance is working very hard to add the rest of the car. It's just frustrating to have this "Model R" available for use and purchase without being fully complete.
Last edited by Jim Simon on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Jeroen Pool

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 9:57 am

John Paines wrote:It would be grand if the timeline sizing shortcuts -- zoom in/out, display all, etc. -- also worked in the source viewer.

+1

Return to DaVinci Resolve