Multi-Camera Oddities

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Simon

Multi-Camera Oddities

PostWed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 pm

How do I mute a camera's audio, but keep it's video, in a multicam clip? Even when Unlinked, they are affected together.

How do I get all the audio tracks in a Multicam clip to be heard when editing? Even those added after the fact of clip creation?

Resolve Studio 14.1.1
Windows 10 Pro (1709)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jim Simon

Re: Multi-Camera Oddities

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Anyone?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Marc Salvatore

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Jim,

I just finished my first multi-cam edit and also found that difficult. I ended up dropping the volume to zero on the audio clips I wanted to mute. Hope they keep developing multi-cam as I find it quirky compared to other programs I've used. In Vegas for example I can make the video tracks into a multi-cam clip and leave the audio tracks on the main timeline to mix as needed.

Regards, Marc
ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 / i7-5820K / 64gb ram / NVidea 2070 Super / Windows 10 / Resolve Studio / Speed Editor

Jim Simon

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks, Marc.

So...is Multicam just not fully functional yet?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Thanks, Marc.

So...is Multicam just not fully functional yet?

Well, editing audio by using the camera's audio tracks is difficult.

There is absolutely non provided way to add an additional camera angle later with any non-manual method of syncing.

Syncing multicam by audio-track never worked at all whenever I tried it.
(3 shows * 3 acts * 4 scenes. None of the 4-8 cams in each of these timelines ever actually got synced. Even if they shared the exact same audio signal with an external recording and an in-camera backup recording.)

LTE-timecodes in an audio channal easily confuse Resolve if the clip starts at an arbitrary time (e.g. a 2GB rollover into a new file or just editing a single scene from a continous, long recording.)

Doing a Picture-in-picture or using multiple of the camera audio tracks at the same time means you need to manually copy tracks, align them with the magnet and then keep these synced manually.

The betas had some bugs where the audio of a multicam would be silent despite the non-muted clips being anything but. That however was fixed.

Irakly Shanidze

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 11:54 pm

I am trying to sync three cameras, and all I could do was to sync by sound. After that, mulicam viewer can be selected by double clicking on the multicam clip, but then the viewer in a source mode. When I try to select "multicam" from the drop-down menu, it switches to "transform", and then multicam options are not available in that menu until I double-click on the multicam clip again.

Multicam playback is possible when "source" is selected, but no editing takes place when I select different angles. Playhead on the timeline is not moving.

I hope this is not how 14.2 is supposed to work. What am I doing wrong?
Leica SL/BM Video Assist 4K, Panasonic Lumix DC-S1
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6
Mac Studio M1 • 32GB RAM

Howard Roll

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 8:46 am

Sounds like you're not putting the multicam clip on the timeline. You need to insert the multicam clip on the timeline and then you can cut it using the keypad etc., Selecting it in the viewer doesn't do anything but let you see all the angles you still need to edit it into your timeline.

Good Luck

Return to DaVinci Resolve