GPU Memory Full bug still on 14.1.1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yiorgos Tryfonas

GPU Memory Full bug still on 14.1.1

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Hello. Unfortunately I still experience this bug even with the new update.

Windows 10 Pro
Dual XEON, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080.
HD Timeline. A single 1080p video file and a couple of audio files. Editing the video file around.
No color nodes whatsoever.
Field processing is off.

The message of death "Your GPU Memory is full" pops up. Again. Video freezes, program needs restart to work again. Same thing also happens in the color mode, not just edit mode.

The problem is that there is absolutely no reason for such a message as this graphics card has enough memory (in Resolve terms) to handle very complex operations and resolutions just fine. Some people complained and figured out that this happens when field processing was on. Thus the 14.1.1 that addresses that problem. Some other people also complained to receive this message on high-end configurations that do not explain it and with field processing off. Thought that whatever was causing our problems with 14.1 was probably fixed as well. Unfortunately it's not.

Do mind that this so far has happened only on editing different mp4 files, never on projects with BM RAW files. I have re-rendered one of the files using another software just in case and the problem is there even with the new mp4.

It happens sometimes after a couple of minutes other times after 5 minutes. In some cases it won't let me save properly or even exit the program, so even my work for the 2~5 minute session is actually lost. Everything worked great before 14.1. Since the whole database was updated for 14.1 and 14.0 doesn't recognise it, this is a really ugly situation that I can't properly work and deliver my work at least without these interruptions on random intervals, which might result in losing any progress anyways :? I trusted to update my database without a backup because I didn't think a minor update would be such a big deal and never had problems before anyways.

I hope BM can figure this out asap like they did with the "video field processing" problem and released the 14.1.1 update. It's a fairly unacceptable situation and that upgrade of the database makes it a dead-end as well.

(EDIT)
Out of desperation I used optimised media on the H264 files. My setting was to DNxHR. It has been stable for about an hour now, at least allowing me to work a bit. Since I don't have any problems with RAW files either, this seems to be caused by H264 (MP4 & QuickTime). Again it started after Resolve 14.1 with no other modification.
Last edited by Yiorgos Tryfonas on Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Francois Dompierre

Re: GPU Memory Full bug still on 14.1.1

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Mac or PC?
François Dompierre
Senior Colorist @ yakoul & loukay
Montréal, Canada

2019 Mac Pro 24-core | 96GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 64GB
macOS 10.15.4 | Resolve Studio 16.2

Yiorgos Tryfonas

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Sorry wasn't clear about that.
Windows 10 Pro.

PeterMoretti

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Yiorgos,

Go to C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve and run CaptureLogs.bat.

Also, for your system info, hold down the Windows key and press R. In the Run window, type msinfo32 and then click OK. In the System Information window, click the File menu and then Save.

Provide a link to both files (using a service like Dropbox). These will help BMD with debugging the problem.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Yiorgos Tryfonas

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Return to DaVinci Resolve