Resolve Render output different.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jorge Camarena

Resolve Render output different.

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 8:06 pm

I have searched all the message boards for an answer to my problem, but I haven't found it. I am sorry if this is a common issue and it has been resolved previously. Anyway here it is:

When I render out my project from resolve I have a different result that what I see inside Resolve. I am working with Alexa mini Prores HQ files in Ultra HD shot in Log. It has also happenned with Prores 4444 files. When I import the rendered filed into resolve it still looks different than the original graded clip.

I am working on a Mac Pro with a MAC LED CINEMA DISPLAY. I dont think it has to do with monitoring or display issues because there is a difference even when re importing to davinci resolve.

Running Resolve V. 14.0.1

RENDERING TO PRORES HQ all screenshots from same monitor.

a few keypoints:
-it is not an issue that has to do with quicktime gamma, i have tried it in VLC and it still looks different.
-When i render in auto levels : washed out image. Same with Video Levels
-When i render in Full data levels : Contrast and gamma shift. I am going to attach references.
-When I go to clip atrributes change leves to full and render in data levels there is still a diffence in contrast and gamma.
- NO LUT USED.

thank you!!
Attachments
test3.jpg
Davinci Graded vs Render Tests
test3.jpg (880.16 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
Settings.png
Settings
Settings.png (671.08 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
Resolve Inside Graded Clip.png
Resolve Graded Clip.
Resolve Inside Graded Clip.png (789.16 KiB) Viewed 3040 times

David Franzo

Re: Resolve Render output different.

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 4:38 pm

Video levels would be the proper setting for ProRes422 so the Auto setting is working properly. So when you reimport that file back into Resolve and double check the source settings are forced to video levels, it should match when looking at both in the viewer or on a monitor. If not then there certainly seems to be a bug. If you're using an Nvidia card on Mac/Windows try switching between CUDA and OpenCL and see if it changes. That's my only possible suggestion.

Also unless you're on Mac with the display color profile option turned on, there's really no way to compare with screenshots since the player is likely color managed and Resolve is not.

Jorge Camarena

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Thank You David,

Let me run some tests, I am not using an NVIDIA card, i have a mac pro with 2 amd d700 firepro cards

Screen shots where taken with the mac dispaly color profile option on but they where taken within Davinci Resolve not on a external player.

thank you.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 5:12 am

Your setup for dual link but not 444: that is an odd configuration.

Butt you don't have an external card/ monitor either. That will be the main issue.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jorge Camarena

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 7:29 pm

Thank You

blakekhodges

PostThu May 10, 2018 10:14 pm

Any update on this? I'm running into the same problem. Thank you.

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 11, 2018 1:50 am

Jorge Camarena wrote:When I render out my project from resolve I have a different result that what I see inside Resolve.

As has been covered here on the forum many dozens (if not hundreds) of times: don't try to judge color from within the GUI.

Read pp. 667-668 of the Resolve 14.3 manual: "Limitations When Grading With the Viewer on a Computer Display." This goes into some detail why you cannot accurately monitor directly from the computer and operating system. You have to have a color-managed output, like one from a Blackmagic display card, preferably on a calibrated Rec709 display.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve