Resolve 14.1.1 not displaying project window

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Bennett

Resolve 14.1.1 not displaying project window

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 7:47 pm

I have been using Davinci Resolve 14 beta on a desktop machine for awhile, and have been truly impressed with the functionality of the program. As I needed a portable machine, and all of my older laptops lacked the needed support, I very recently purchased a new HP Pavilion laptop with an i7 8th gen processor and an nVidia Geforce 940MX discreet graphics card. I was able to finish one small project, and then Resolve stop working correctly. This was with 14.0b9. I have since upgraded to 14.1.1.

The problem is that once I get past the splash/loading screen and into the project selection screen (as shown below), and then select either a new, or old project, the next screen is all white, with the name of the project displayed in the upper left corner (also shown below). If I mouse over and click, I can bring up the menu drop downs, but no matter what I do, I am unable to get the display to show the project windows. If I save a project, it will show in the project selection window the time I start Resolve, but same problem after selection.

Here's what I have tried so far:
    * I have completely removed the installed version and reinstall. Same results.
    * I have confirmed that all video drivers are up to date. They are.
    * I have attempted to run the program on the internal Intel graphics. Same results.
    * I have confirmed that the nVidia GPU is seeing the program.
    * I have captured the log files and reviewed. Not sure I know what I am looking for.

So, at this point, I am at a loss as to what to do next.. Help please.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20171129_222005.zip
Captured log files
(26.54 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
white-screen-with-menu-drop.png
White screen (with menu drop down) after selecting project
white-screen-with-menu-drop.png (45.5 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
project-selection-screen.png
Opening screen after splash
project-selection-screen.png (467.49 KiB) Viewed 2284 times

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 14.1.1 not displaying project window

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 11:36 pm

Click Reset UI Layout and see if that fixes it.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Jim Bennett

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:56 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Click Reset UI Layout and see if that fixes it.
thank you. I have already done that as well. At least I believe I have. I deleted all of the files under program data, and when it restarted, I got the screens asking to set up, and it verified OS and GPU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Bennett

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 1:58 am

Oh, I may have misread your reply. I will find the item and click. I will advise if successful or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Bennett

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 6:27 am

@dwayne - I clicked reset UI, and there was no change. The screen blinked and then returned back into the white state. I have also previously deleted all of the files in the program data directory such that when I restarted the program, it tested both OS and graphics card, and then offered the tour. Still the same white screen.

Jim Bennett

PostFri Dec 01, 2017 10:25 pm

SOLVED:
I managed to find a fix for the problem, but am not sure where the issue belongs. The short answer is that I had to force Resolve to use the embedded Intel graphic card at startup.

Background:
The system (HP Pavilion laptop 15-cc 183cl) was configured to factory defaults, selecting globally to automatically use the the best graphic card by application. The system has both an integrated graphics stack as part of the chipset, and a discreet nVidia Geforce 940MX mobile graphics card. I had confirmed that Resolve was using the nVidia card.

Solution:
Contrary to what would be intuitive, and after forcing the system to use the nVidia card by default and getting the same symptoms as described above, I discovered that if I used the nVidia control panel to select the integrated graphics card for Resolve, I managed to get it to display correctly with the full workspace and UI. Checking the nVidia activity tool, it shows that the nVidia GPU is being used by Resolve, and the hardware configuration screen in the program is showing that the GPU being used is the Geforce 940MX.

Like I said in the beginning, I am not sure where the issue belongs. I may be that HP has something going on in their system that is not working quite correct. Their BIOS does not allow the user to prioritize which graphics cards are available in hardware. Not clear how Windows 10 is dealing with the hardware, but I suspect this might be an edge case for Resolve. Anyway, looks like I am back up and running. I need to push a couple of jobs to see if I get the performance I am hoping for, but otherwise, it is fixed.

Jim Bennett

Not Fixed: Resolve 14.1.1 not displaying project window

PostSun Dec 03, 2017 4:33 pm

I thought I had this solved, but seems that I may still have a problem with how the Graphics are being called. First, here at the captured log files:
The symptom is: I am able to open a project and load into the UI (see previous posting for details). However, as soon as I attempt to import media, and select the file, it shows briefly in the media explorer as a red box, and then the program crashes and just shuts down. I have confirmed that there are no left over process running. It just stops.

Any ideas? Thanks.. Also, should this be submitted as a new issue?

Iamgoat100

PostThu Feb 22, 2018 10:37 pm

Has this issue been resolved? I have the exact same problem. Same GFX card and similar if not the same laptop.

Jim Bennett

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 7:15 pm

@Wayne,
The short answer is yes, but the long answer is the real story..

Your question caused me to return to the solution I had found, and when I did, I discovered I had not really found a solution. I had ended up getting it working by inadvertently uninstalling the nVidia GPU, and was just running the Intel graphics card. when I discovered this to be the case, I tried to fix this problem and ended up breaking everything, and was not able to reinstall the either of the graphics drivers.

So, after several hours of research, chatting with HP support (if you want to call it that), and trying almost everything I could think of, I eventually booted the system into safe mode, and tried to install the Intel and nVidia drivers (I had uninstalled both and Resolve wouldn't even start at that point). That worked, and I was back to where I was when I first posted the question.

The solution (at least the one that is now working for me): I went into device manager and disabled Intel graphics. Resolve works wonderfully! In fact, and am able to scrub through 4k video almost without a pause, something I have never been able to do before.

Long story, but I hope it helps you solve the problem you are seeing.

Cheers..

Iamgoat100

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Wow thanks a lot! It works perfectly now. What an odd issue.

Return to DaVinci Resolve