Changes to grade discard Source Caches

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christian Lessner

Changes to grade discard Source Caches

PostTue Dec 05, 2017 9:10 pm

Hi everybody!

It's time to discuss one of my biggest pet peeves with Resolve: The constant dropping and recreating of Source Caches whenever I copy/paste settings or sometimes even just adjust the grade. This has been bugging me since forever across all platforms, so let's treat this as a version-independent issue. There is also a good chance that this is not a bug but rather me not getting how it works. And yes, I have read the manual, watched tutorials and talked to other colorists. ;)

So let's say I have my timeline of Alexa 2K and RED 5K footage. Timeline is HD and everything is set up. In the Color page, I right-click all clips and set Render Cache Clip Source: ON and then Render Cache to User. Red line appears, slowly turns blue, all good. Playback is smooth and colorist is happy. Apply a grade to shot 1 and move on to shot 2. Middle-mousebutton on the first shot to copy the grade and BAM! red line again, clip is being re-cached. Same happens when copying from the grade bin. And yes, I did select to Preserve Input Sizing and Camera Raw info, I would understand that those trigger the re-caching. Today I had a few clips that would even re-cache as soon as I touched ANY node. I think the affected clips had retimes on them though, but once it's retimed, it's retimed, right? Grading shouldn't trigger a re-retiming.

Has any of you encountered this behavior as well? Is that supposed to happen? If yes, what am I doing wrong? It seems easy enough and has been bothering me for too long now.
Resolve Studio 18.1.3 | Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
Intel i9-10980XE | RTX 3090 (528.49 SD) | 64 GB RAM | Mini Monitor 4K (12.4.2) | Mini Panel

Marc Wielage

Re: Changes to grade discard Source Caches

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 6:50 am

Turn the cache on on a node earlier in the node tree, and then make your changes after that point. If you do that, "in theory" it won't re-cache.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 7:05 am

Christian, are you on 14.1.1?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Christian Lessner

PostThu Dec 07, 2017 12:17 pm

@Marc: So you would suggest not to use Source Clip Cache at all and cache the first Node instead?

@Peter: I am still/again on version 12.5.6, but I have also seen it happen in 14.0.1. I had major audio issues in 14.1.1 and didn't even test caches, so I don't know if that fixed it. But it had been going on since at least the early version 12 if I remember correctly, so I wanted to check if there was a misunderstanding on how it is supposed to work.
Resolve Studio 18.1.3 | Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
Intel i9-10980XE | RTX 3090 (528.49 SD) | 64 GB RAM | Mini Monitor 4K (12.4.2) | Mini Panel

Return to DaVinci Resolve