Losing Optimized Media when switching between machines

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alexander Falk

Losing Optimized Media when switching between machines

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 2:12 pm

example:
resolve1 with local cache volume connected to dbserver was working on project 123 and generated optimized media.
resolve2 without access to cache volume connected to same dbserver opened project 123 and modifies a timeline and saves.

now if i open project 123 on resolve1 all optimized media are gone.

am i doing something wrong?

thank you.

Forest Finbow

Re: Losing Optimized Media when switching between machines

PostWed Dec 06, 2017 3:11 pm

As far as I know, that's the way Resolve does things. Upon opening a project if it can't locate optimized medias it strips the OM metadata and thus upon save it will be gone. If the OM is not on a shared volume with identical paths from both machines, it will get disconnected.

Up to Resolve 12.5 this was quite a pain to solve but since R14 there is an option "Rediscover Optimized Media" (right click on the footage in media pool). Have you tried clicking it? (in the environment that has access to the cache folder obviously)

I do agree that for shared projects like you do it would be beneficial to be able to skip this step but at least that should be a functional and not too tedious workaround for now.

Return to DaVinci Resolve