While playing, and changing playhead position -> Stop

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Hector Corcin

While playing, and changing playhead position -> Stop

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 10:57 am

is it possible to stop playback if I change playhead position while it is playing?

Right now, it goes to that position and keeps playing. Sometimes it is good, but most of the times I moved the playhead position to do something there and I need it to stop.

Jim Simon

Re: While playing, and changing playhead position -> Stop

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 4:09 pm

Yeah, this is annoying. Moving the playhead manually should stop playback.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hector Corcin

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Thank you Jim. I'm not alone on this then. But I hope we not alone together.
I think it would be a good idea to have this as an option at least.

PeterMoretti

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:44 pm

As an option, sure! Having the behavior hardwired to automatically stopping, PLEASE NO.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Sam Steti

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 am

+ 1 for no, or as an option
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Ulysses Paiva

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 1:19 pm

I find it very useful to click back and replay that portion right away or to skip to another region quickly when playing. So, for my case, its different from your use. I got very used to just hit the space bar to stop playing. I think if I click twice in a short period of time it stops playing.

So, I'm with you regarding it as an option, not hardwired.

Blackmagic seems to be really listening to our suggestions, even the smaller/less requested ones (found many added to the latest version). And thats really good. That way, I cant see Resolve not becoming the simply best editor out there in a short time.
Ulysses Paiva

Hector Corcin

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Yes of course I never intended to ask for hardwired change.
I ask for an option like for example the one in the Timeline menu, "Selection follows playhead". Then there would be another option to "stop when changing playhead position" or something similar.

double clicking doesn't seem to stop it. That would be a nice option too. Double clicking the ruler would also be nice to be able to start playing while stopped.

It is good to have options specially in things that you do many times a day, for example, changing playhead position. I don't mind not having an option for something that I use once a month.
Best software should have as many options as possible, like REAPER for example. You may not use them all, but if you need it, the options are there.

Ulysses Paiva

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 6:11 pm

I tried here. I'm on Windows. Double clicking the ruler makes the playhead stop. When you hit the space bar, the playhead starts where it stopped. If the double click is not fast enough, it resumes where I have put it when clicking.
Sorry to not mention it before. The clicks are on the ruler only. See if it works for you
Ulysses Paiva

Hector Corcin

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 pm

mmm it works on the little "ruler", timeline, I don't know how to call it, below the preview. Not on the big ruler above the tracks with the timecodes and grid lines... where the big red PlayHead is

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 am

I dont know how to call it either. Maybe "time ruler" or "timeline ruler? Anyways, for me, it works here as illustrated:

Capturar.JPG
Capturar.JPG (191.24 KiB) Viewed 5784 times

Did you have any luck?
Ulysses Paiva

Hector Corcin

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 12:30 pm

no luck
using 14.1.1
double clicking just does as single click.. moves playhead and keeps playing there

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 2:09 pm

Strange. To me here I double click that time ruler and the playhead first goes to the point in time I clicked then it stops with the second click (if fast enough). Too slow it just resumes playing from that time. Maybe a Windows thing?
Ulysses Paiva

Hector Corcin

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 6:23 pm

14.2 update... even worse...
At least in 14.1.1, in fairlight page, when you moved the playhead.. it stopped.. now the fairlight is like Edit page, it continues playing after moving playhead... This is totally the opposite of what I wanted.
Where is the option to change it as it was in 14.1? I can't find it. If there is no option, please make this optional !! There is plenty of space to put more user options. And also in the edit page please.

Jean Claude

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:Strange. To me here I double click that time ruler and the playhead first goes to the point in time I clicked then it stops with the second click (if fast enough). Too slow it just resumes playing from that time. Maybe a Windows thing?

+1

Hi Ulysses,
Same behavior here in the EDIT tab. Double click and done.
For Fairlight, I press the space bar (before move playhead) and it works (yet it's the biggest on my keyboard. Apart from you and me, do not you?)) :oops:
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Jim Simon

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 am

Hector Corcin wrote:now the fairlight is like Edit page, it continues playing after moving playhead...

Ugh! That's a backwards move, BMD. Undo that, please.

And then fix the Edit page.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Hector Corcin wrote:14.2 update... even worse...
At least in 14.1.1, in fairlight page, when you moved the playhead.. it stopped.. now the fairlight is like Edit page, it continues playing after moving playhead... This is totally the opposite of what I wanted.
Where is the option to change it as it was in 14.1? I can't find it. If there is no option, please make this optional !! There is plenty of space to put more user options. And also in the edit page please.

Hector, it was a "fix", not a bug. They intentionally "fixed" this behaviour to perform the same as the edit page. Its written in the download page. For me, my way of using it, its better this way. Before, I was finging it annoying. But as you preffer it different from me, I do think there should be an optional behaviour for user convenience.
Ulysses Paiva

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Jean Claude wrote:
Ulysses Paiva wrote:Strange. To me here I double click that time ruler and the playhead first goes to the point in time I clicked then it stops with the second click (if fast enough). Too slow it just resumes playing from that time. Maybe a Windows thing?

+1

Hi Ulysses,
Same behavior here in the EDIT tab. Double click and done.
For Fairlight, I press the space bar (before move playhead) and it works (yet it's the biggest on my keyboard. Apart from you and me, do not you?)) :oops:

Yeah. For me, its a very convenient behaviour. Hector likes it the other way. So it would be good if BMD could put it as a tick box or something. They have been listening pretty well to us customers and applying almost every request I've seen, even the smaller ones. And I think its great big time. Like BMD is up to actual times and not still in the past like most companies are still attatched to.
Ulysses Paiva

adamjrichman

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 12:32 am

Agree 100%. At minimum this should be an option. But "correct" behavior IMHO is when I interact with the edit, all things should stop. I'm interacting with the edit by clicking, which means I intend to do something new (I'm done watching), so the application should get ready to take new commands (aka: stop playback). Please add an option for this ASAP.

Jim Simon

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 7:30 pm

adamjrichman wrote: "correct" behavior IMHO is when I interact with the edit, all things should stop.

Exactly! Continued playback is the oddness, the 'option'.

Doing what the editor tells the software to do is the norm, the default.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

MaxFilms

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Is this still not solved? This behaviour really bothers me.

Jim Simon

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 3:55 pm

It's still behaves incorrectly in Studio 15.2 on Windows.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Stef H.

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 1:40 pm

I am running DR 16 Beta in 2019...seems this is still the same. The playhead still moves after I clicked to a new location while playing...double click seems not to work.

Please let me know if there is a setting that maybe I have overseen or consider adding it as an option!

Thanks!

peterfox

PostFri May 22, 2020 8:40 pm

Why is this not fixed? Essential feature :S

peterfox

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 8:23 pm

please!

Hector Corcin

PostFri Aug 28, 2020 5:13 pm

it is sad isn't it? the option should be easy to implement.
This and to stop auto scrolling the timeline if I start editing a clip or something on it.

Hard Is Easy

PostWed Oct 06, 2021 7:27 pm

+1 to this feature... It's almost a show stopper for me to edit fast coming from Premiere

Also Ripple End/Start To Playhead should stop playhead or at least jump to correct position, now it keeps playing from almost random time in a timeline... Suuuuper annoying.

serpe7

PostSun Apr 03, 2022 12:48 pm

Any news on this? I'm almost ready to switch from premiere and this is one of the deal breakers, plz at least make it an option!

corwin

PostThu Jul 28, 2022 2:39 pm

Hard Is Easy wrote:+1 to this feature... It's almost a show stopper for me to edit fast coming from Premiere

Also Ripple End/Start To Playhead should stop playhead or at least jump to correct position, now it keeps playing from almost random time in a timeline... Suuuuper annoying.

EXACTLY! same situation here +1... coming from premier its almost unbearable like this. I want to switch back to premier but my work is requiring me to cut in resolve... now the passionate distaste is starting to build :cry:

tomassolovsky

PostFri Nov 04, 2022 10:55 am

YEES! +1

chipio

PostThu Dec 08, 2022 1:04 am

Coming from Premiere, Kdenlive, etc, I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be an option for this. I trim footage by scrubbing around and adding edits at the playhead, and it's very convenient to be watching the footage, find a spot I want to cut at, scrub to that point and cut. Having to pause the video before scrubbing is a small additional action but when I'm making several hundred cuts it quickly adds up. There are people who prefer both behaviors so it seems that letting the user choose their preferred behavior would be the best solution.

victor_cuz

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 1:14 pm

After switching from Premiere Pro, I just felt the need in this option. But when I saw some people here wait for it for more then six years it became clear that this will never happen. Sad.

Return to DaVinci Resolve