Keyframe Timeline Mode default

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sam Steti

Keyframe Timeline Mode default

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 9:54 am

Hi there,

I've recently made a couple of mistakes that took me 15 mn to fix (actually to find out where were the issue came from). Well, now I know...

Actually I'm using stills a lot, because it's a powerful way of copying grades, keep the evolution of them over the edit, etc etc, easily applied to clips, post-groups, selected clips, whatever...
But as you now, stills keep various informations, and my 2-3 mistakes (out of 25 same actions, fortunately) came from I middle-click the stills to apply them, which applies both grades and sizing : as a few keyframes about sizings were involved in this very saved still, it applied it because the Keyframe Timeline Mode was on "all" (default behavior), instead of Color (only).
And I'd like this latter to be the default one, because I neither want to "append node graph" nor go through the display of it to choose color only : just keep on middle-clicking stills to apply their grade only to selected clips/groups.

Any way to open Resolve and have "color" as default for Keyframe Timeline Mode in any project ?
Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 1SSD for system, 2 SSDs raid0 for footage and caches, OSX ElCap and Sierra, Resolve 15 Studio

Sam Steti

Re: Keyframe Timeline Mode default

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Nobody ever pasted grades AND sizing from a still when only color grades were required ? :shock:
Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 1SSD for system, 2 SSDs raid0 for footage and caches, OSX ElCap and Sierra, Resolve 15 Studio

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 1:33 am

Try keyframe timeline mode.. in Mark menu
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Sam Steti

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 am

Thx Peter, but what I'd like is that "Mark > keyframe timeline mode" would be on "color" only, that's to say in any project, new project, re-open project etc... ever and by default for new projects...
So far, this very "color" choice remains until the project is closed, then it will turn back into "all" on whatever new openings (new projects, and even the one in which "color" had already be chosen, that's my point)

mattfezz

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 am

I might be misunderstanding, but you can also right click in the gallery and select "preserve input sizing" to only apply the color info from the stills.

I agree though, having an option for resolve to default to color keyframe mode would be very welcome.

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 5:09 am

If I can suggest a quick way to solve this: I use several keyboard shortcuts so I can alter Keyframe Timeline Mode to All (^A), Color (^C), or Sizing (^S). I do this frequently enough that I have specific keys on a macro keyboard preset for these functions. I use these all the time -- I'm a big believer in only using keyframes on specific nodes (except in special cases).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sam Steti

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 9:47 am

Thx mattfezz and Marc but listen, your solutions are fine for sure, no doubt about it, but I confess I'm mainly troubled by the fact I have to remember to check the mode anyways, because this part doesn't behave like elsewhere in Resolve, where you may define a default behavior for ever.
Here it comes back to a status "all" each time you open a project, and I got screwed a couple of time because of that when switching from one project to another... :oops:

So my issue is not the easiness/quickness of the access to the mode change (why not shortcuts, yes), I just would like an option to specify "only apply color from stills, anywhere, anytime" (what you can define in other parts or Resolve btw)
But I'll probably get around in the end ;)

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 am

Sam Steti wrote:Thx mattfezz and Marc but listen, your solutions are fine for sure, no doubt about it, but I confess I'm mainly troubled by the fact I have to remember to check the mode anyways...

Life is hard -- it's a constant struggle. There are certain things you have to do every day: wear clean underwear, brush your teeth twice a day, keep your car full of gas. Remembering to check the Keyframe Timeline Mode is high on my to-do list.

In my case, since I have it programmed as a macro, I just hit a button and go. I don't even have to think about it. Do it 1000 times and you won't have to think about it, either.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sam Steti

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Sam Steti wrote:Thx mattfezz and Marc but listen, your solutions are fine for sure, no doubt about it, but I confess I'm mainly troubled by the fact I have to remember to check the mode anyways...

Life is hard -- it's a constant struggle. There are certain things you have to do every day: wear clean underwear, brush your teeth twice a day, keep your car full of gas. Remembering to check the Keyframe Timeline Mode is high on my to-do list.

In my case, since I have it programmed as a macro, I just hit a button and go. I don't even have to think about it. Do it 1000 times and you won't have to think about it, either.

Well, I brush my teeth 3 times a day actually, and I accomplish all other "daily missions" too without pain... But even if life is really hard (which depends on who is thinking of it), I'd like not to add a basic option check on the list even more ;) It appears to me as stupid as checking a power supply button to remain switched on while working.
Please BMD add an option to keep "color" for ever, we'll find other stuff to make our lives complicated...

Return to DaVinci Resolve