Timeline issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Thom Britten-Austin

Timeline issue

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:13 am

Working with a project of about 75 minutes long in the Edit page, the timeline becomes unresponsive. I can switch to the other pages and browse the time line but back in the edit page it is stuck.

Don't know what the cause is or how to replicate it but this has happened quite a few times now since the last update.

The only way to proceed is to restart DR
Thom Britten-Austin
Windows 10, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X, Resolve 18.5

Marc Wielage

Re: Timeline issue

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 am

Thom Britten-Austin wrote:Working with a project of about 75 minutes long in the Edit page, the timeline becomes unresponsive. I can switch to the other pages and browse the time line but back in the edit page it is stuck.

What hardware? What OS? What type of files?

I have long believed that if you have what I call a "heavy session" (large source files, complex node trees, lots of effects, noise-reduction, etc.), the timelines will bog down if you try to cram a lot of them into one continuous timeline. In some cases, nesting the timelines will help this. In others, adding a lot more RAM, faster CPUs, and faster GPUs will help relieve the stress quite a bit. As a workaround, consider breaking the timelines up into smaller chunks -- say, 15 or 20 minutes each -- and dealing with those separately. At the worst, you can render out those virtual "reels" and then assemble them back together for the final render.

For features, I often get into situations where we've finished reel 1, 2 is not finished, 3 is being completely changed, 4 is mostly done, and 5 is awaiting some last-minute fixes. Sometimes, you wind up working on the film inside out.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Thom Britten-Austin

Re: Timeline issue

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Thom Britten-Austin wrote:Working with a project of about 75 minutes long in the Edit page, the timeline becomes unresponsive. I can switch to the other pages and browse the time line but back in the edit page it is stuck.

What hardware? What OS? What type of files?

see my signature for that info.

Its a bug, whoever wrote the code forgot to save/reload or whatever is required to make it work. Its possible that it works on the MAC but then the Windows version seems to be it's poor cousin.

Its a simple enough bug to fix as are many other issues in DR14 .. its just a shame that BMD don't take quality control seriously enough. We trust our projects to their software - is a basic quality control too much to ask?
Thom Britten-Austin
Windows 10, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X, Resolve 18.5

Return to DaVinci Resolve