Multi-user and password with database PostgreSQL

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Boissard

Multi-user and password with database PostgreSQL

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Hello,
We are currently looking to generate several database on Resolve 14 but with "username" and "password" per service:

restore service
username - restoration
password: 12vf34

confo service
username - confo
password: 5467ad

Unfortunately I can connect to the IP of my database server but I can not create a user other than postgres through the Resolve interface.
Capture d’écran 2017-12-12 à 12.35.48.png
Capture d’écran 2017-12-12 à 12.35.48.png (60.25 KiB) Viewed 5315 times

I created a user "restauration" in pgAdmin and restarted a database creation in Resolve with the user "restauration" and I still have the same error.
aa.jpg
aa.jpg (116.25 KiB) Viewed 5315 times

Capture d’écran 2017-12-12 à 12.35.12.png
Capture d’écran 2017-12-12 à 12.35.12.png (39.67 KiB) Viewed 5315 times

How to create databases by Username with password?
How can each service administer with pgAdmin only the databases of its username through its unique password?
How to have an administrator on pgAdmin who sees all the databases of different username?
cordially
Michael Boissard

Seth Goldin

Re: Multi-user and password with database PostgreSQL

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Multi-user login in 14 is deprecated. Databases upgraded from 12.5.6 and earlier can display the different users that were created, now without password authentication, but new databases created in 14 are not capable of any such multi-user organization or password authentication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Seth Goldin wrote:Multi-user login in 14 is deprecated. Databases upgraded from 12.5.6 and earlier can display the different users that were created, now without password authentication, but new databases created in 14 are not capable of any such multi-user organization or password authentication.

I think that will be back in 14.1, it need to be enabled.
(It is a deal breaker in big facilities not have user / passwords for MPAA/ studious reasons)
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Seth Goldin

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 9:12 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:I think that will be back in 14.1, it need to be enabled.
(It is a deal breaker in big facilities not have user / passwords for MPAA/ studious reasons)

14.1.1 is already out. I don’t see any mention of this in the release notes.

alexoreman

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 12:18 am

You should never change the default User name and Password to create a database using PostgresSQL.

Once the initial database is created you can then create additional users at that point that have strong passwords and also change the admin password to something secure to block bypassing your user passwords.

This is active in current versions of 14, you just need to still create the initial DB with the default user and password or you will be unable to authenticate with the postgressql service to even create the database initially.

Michael Boissard

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Hi,
The problem is that we use a lot of Resolve stations. 7 for service grading/conformation, 4 for service verification, 3 for service bluray, 4 for service mounting ...
We do not want a single user who can see all the services and related projects in Resolve or PgAdmin.
We wish each service has its own user and password that will not be provided to other services.
That each person in charge of service can only manage it is project in PgAdmin without risk ...

Seth Goldin

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Michael Boissard wrote:We do not want a single user who can see all the services and related projects in Resolve or PgAdmin.

Yes, it has disrupted and upset many users. Perhaps it’s best to put in a feature request over in this other thread: viewtopic.php?t=58534

alexoreman

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 7:32 pm

@ Michael Boissard

This is a at your own risk fix reply but I was able to accomplish what you wanted with the below:

I would assume these new postgres user features could be added to the DaVinci Resolve Project Server since the hooks are in the basic PGAdmin tool. I have loaded a project in to this test DB with the separate SQL user and it does not appear to have any ill effects, I will not use this method in production however just nice to know it's there.

Using PGADMINIII authenticated to your DB server as postgres/DaVinci

-Create new Login role for your intended user
-Mirror settings of the default postgres user other than name and password

-Create new Database manually in PGADMIN named the same as your intended user.
-Mirror settings from the properties view of the postgres DB commented as default.

Once I did the above I was able to then create a new DB with the Davinci Project server as the new user and password succesfully and go in to Resolve 14 and connect to that DB as the new user and PW succesfully.

I have not tested beyond importing a project but I have no errors logged so far.

Good luck!

Michael Boissard

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 8:38 am

Thanks
It is perfect

Return to DaVinci Resolve