Fairlight clip mixing or track mixing?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

Fairlight clip mixing or track mixing?

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Im coming from Premiere where I can EQ and mix my film on a clip by clip basis, and effortlessly copy my settings or templates from one clip to another clip, or to a multitude of clips that need the same effects. In Fairlight, there is no way to do this. Cant copy settings or templates or presets from one clip to another. If I have 40 audio clips that all need the same EQ and compression and volume settings, I have to re-do all those settings 40 times, once for each clip. That is crazy and impractical.

So there seems Fairlight is designed for track-based mixing, with no other way around it. So now Im looking at having to create a new track for every different speaker, every different mic, every different room tone, etc. My 15 track mix could swell to over 200 tracks easy. That also sounds impractical. Is that really the best way to mix in fairlight?
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Thom Britten-Austin

Re: Fairlight clip mixing or track mixing?

PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:24 pm

Having struggled with it myself I concur. As it is now you get only the bare minimum of whats required, enough to do a mix but nothing fancy.
Thom Britten-Austin
Windows 10, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X, Resolve 18.5

Rick van den Berg

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 9:16 am

i dont have a lot experience with ''real-life'' projects in fairlight/resolve when it comes to audio/video editing, but you can do a basic eq per-clip in the edit page.

but to be honest, im also doing my (audio)editing in premiere, but if i got alot of clips where i want to apply the same effect, i would definitely prefer track effects. if you got overlapping audio clips(of which you want to have the same eq), you can just route it to a bus (i think) and apply all the effects there. this way you're way more flexible in tweaking everything at the same time. if you want to edit just one clip a little different you can tweak it in the edit tab. i dont think you will end up with many more audio tracks if you organize it correctly

it's just a different mind-set i guess. but takes some time to get used to.

Charles Bennett

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 10:23 am

To me, as a sound guy, that is a hard way of doing things. If all the clips are on the same track, then I would use track not clip fx. If they are on multiple tracks, then these would be routed to an aux input and fx applied there. So in each case you only have to apply the effect once.
Fairlight, like Pro Tools, is a DAW and is probably a different way of working than you are used to
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 11:41 am

Michael McCaffrey wrote:Cant copy settings or templates or presets from one clip to another. If I have 40 audio clips that all need the same EQ and compression and volume settings, I have to re-do all those settings 40 times, once for each clip. That is crazy and impractical.
Switch to the Edit page and Paste Clip Attributes.

While available, the Plugins option currently isn't functional, hopefully this will be fixed in future releases.

The Fairlight Clip EQ is also not currently an option in the Clip Attributes window, again another useful omission.

So there seems Fairlight is designed for track-based mixing, with no other way around it. So now Im looking at having to create a new track for every different speaker, every different mic, every different room tone, etc.
Compound Clips are perhaps a more efficient and flexible option, along with Aux and Sub Busses.

Multiple methods to achieve the same result.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 18.6.6 • macOS 14.3.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Dan Sherman

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Michael McCaffrey wrote: That also sounds impractical. Is that really the best way to mix in fairlight?

This is something that I have struggled with as well. To, me Premiere is an application that started off as consumer product, and is adding features to push it towards the professionals. Resolve started off as a professional product, and is adding features to push it towards the consumers.

Like Rick said, it's a different mindset and a different way of working.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Return to DaVinci Resolve