Fail to Save - Project Gone

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Cherniack

Fail to Save - Project Gone

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Resolve was open when I got a message from Windows 10 about installing a new update. I delayed the update until tonight and did a little work on my project. When I went to exit the program it gave me a project not saved message which was strange because I have Live Save turned on. When I attempted to save I got a Fail to Save error. I managed to save a copy, exited and went to where I think the projects are stored: C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\admin\. There was nothing there. However in C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\guest\Projects was a folder with my saved copy of the project.

What happened? Anyone seen anything like this?

Should I leave my copy in the Guest folder instead of manually moving it to the admin folder?

Should I turn off the option to open the last project on start up?

Could there be a log file somewhere to shed light on what happened?
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

PeterMoretti

Re: Fail to Save - Project Gone

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 1:27 am

I believe that Resolve defaults to using the guest account (not the admin account) when an account is not specified. I **think** awhile ago Resolve did default to using admin, but that was pre 12.5, IIRC.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

David Cherniack

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 1:38 am

Thanks, Peter. That's good to know. But I really what happened to the original project that just went poof?
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

Dermot Shane

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 3:08 am

it's Resolve's way of telling you to make DRP's and make them often... very often, when ever you have anything of value to protect

takes a min or so, lets you sleep knowing you have a stand alone version of your work

and save it to a mirrored disk or to a cloud somewhere

useless if it's only on one disk, and that disk pukes...

David Cherniack

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 4:02 pm

I'm kinda stunned...feeling lucky I was able to Save As. Making DRPs is not hard but I'd rather figure out what could have caused the problem in the first place so it can be possible avoided going forward.
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

PeterMoretti

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 6:04 pm

Also, it would be nice if Resolve gave a message after the .drp creation is completed.

As it is right now, there is no way know when it's done, except sometimes for a slight flash of the UI, to know it's oaky to resume working or quit the program.

Creating a database backup gives a message when the backup has been completed, but creating a .drp does not... and creating a .drp takes a lot longer.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Dermot Shane

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm

humm, i see a blue circle when it's writeing a DRP, typcialy it takes under 90 seconds to make a DRP from a feature film project, maybe 5 min to save the database, it seems to be all about disk access.... in taskmangler i see 2% CPU, and 100% disk access

in both cases i'm saveing to the same mirrored SSD's that holds the working projects

PeterMoretti

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 7:03 pm

I've also seen that blue circle right before a Windows app crashes, so it doesn't exactly give me much peace of mind when backing up, lol.

Marc Wielage

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 11:25 am

PeterMoretti wrote:Also, it would be nice if Resolve gave a message after the .drp creation is completed.

I totally agree: it would be nice to get an alert box that said, "Exported DRP Successfully Created" and an "OK" button.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

David Cherniack

BUG - Found the Problem of the Fail to Save

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 pm

It just happened again. Here's the process that triggered it, and I now realize, is exactly the same as the first time it happened:
- I dragged some stills tiffs and PSDs from Windows Explorer into the Media Pool.
- I did F11 replace with one of them into an Opened in Timeline compound clip. The replace happened but went to the wrong track.
- I control z'd and undid the replace.
- I got a Failed to Save Project message

I looked in the database folder and the project was still there, saved by Live Save a few minutes earlier. For safety I copied it to another drive.
I then Saved As the project to a new name.
I looked in the database folder and the older project was gone. The Saved As project was now there.

Clearly there's a fatal bug lurking somewhere in this procedure.
Can Support please try to replicate.
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

Marc Wielage

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 7:07 am

I can't promise it will help, but you could try backing up your boot drive and your project database, then installing Resolve 14.2 and see if this improves things.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

David Cherniack

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 1:08 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:I can't promise it will help, but you could try backing up your boot drive and your project database, then installing Resolve 14.2 and see if this improves things.

hmmm...I look for an update every day or two. Didn't yesterday. I'll try and replicate with 14.2 in the next day or two.
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

David Cherniack

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 pm

I just did a simple shot replace in 14.2 and got the Failed to Save message. I immediately Saved a Copy As. I feel very sorry for anyone who doesn't do that and expects their project to be there the next time they start Resolve. This is a serious bug, folks. It's probably related to Windows 10 Pro and its permissions schema.
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

PeterMoretti

Re: BUG - Found the Problem of the Fail to Save

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 am

David Cherniack wrote:It just happened again. Here's the process that triggered it, and I now realize, is exactly the same as the first time it happened:
- I dragged some stills tiffs and PSDs from Windows Explorer into the Media Pool.
- I did F11 replace with one of them into an Opened in Timeline compound clip. The replace happened but went to the wrong track.
- I control z'd and undid the replace.
- I got a Failed to Save Project message

I looked in the database folder and the project was still there, saved by Live Save a few minutes earlier. For safety I copied it to another drive.
I then Saved As the project to a new name.
I looked in the database folder and the older project was gone. The Saved As project was now there.

Clearly there's a fatal bug lurking somewhere in this procedure.
Can Support please try to replicate.

David, I tried to replicate this but can't. Essentially, when I open up a compound clip with stills I can do a replace edit w/o the replace going to the wrong track and w/o Resolve Crashing if I do a Ctrl Z.

Good luck, but I think some more info. may be needed to replicate what you're experiencing.

David Cherniack

Re: BUG - Found the Problem of the Fail to Save

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 11:50 am

PeterMoretti wrote:David, I tried to replicate this but can't. Essentially, when I open up a compound clip with stills I can do a replace edit w/o the replace going to the wrong track and w/o Resolve Crashing if I do a Ctrl Z.

Good luck, but I think some more info. may be needed to replicate what you're experiencing.

Thanks for trying. The problem doesn't happen every time with a replace so it makes it much harder to replicate. But this last time the replace was with a clip, not a still and the clip was already in Media. I'm pretty sure it's more a collision with Win 10 Pro and after your attempt, it's probably within my specific system where the OS is on a Samsung m2 MVNe SSD. The Fall Creator's update wouldn't install on these drives (BSOD) until earlier this month when Asus brought out a new bios
David
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card

Return to DaVinci Resolve