problem exporting alpha embedded from proRes444 from AjaQuad

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jam Abelanet

problem exporting alpha embedded from proRes444 from AjaQuad

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Hello,
I have a very strange issue, on Resolve Studio 14 (and we had same issue also from 12).
I shot footage on green screen with C500 Canon connected to AJA KiPro Quad, recording log quicktime ProRes 444 in 4K 29.97fps.
When I do color correction and 3D keyer on Resolve everything work fine, alpha is correctly taken care of, but when I try to export alpha turn to be total white. Of course I tried to export either in ARGB 8bit or 444 with alpha enabled but it does not work.
The very strange thing here is if I convert my initial proRes444 footage form Aja to another proRes444 footage using FcpX for example (same parameters, same resolution, same framerate), and reuse this footage in Davinci, it now works perfectly, and exported footage include a good Alpha channel.
Does anyone had this issue ?? Is the proRES 444 codec from Aja is a problem somehow, and is there another solution than spending hours converting proRes444 to another proRes444 and duplicate all files in order to have a working workflow ?
many thanks to good souls who can help me on that... :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve