Dual GPU-Adding 3rd-Updrading ?'s

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

joshua newman

Dual GPU-Adding 3rd-Updrading ?'s

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 12:33 am

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me out. This is the first time I've posted to this site, I'm usually able to find my answer by searching the forum, but I'm stumped. I've been using the free version for about a year and I am thinking about upgrading to the Studio version, before I do I want to know if the issues I have will be resolved by it.
I currently use resolve to edit and grade short 3-5 min clips from my Phantom 4 Pro drone and OSMO for my real estate business. I shoot in H.264, 4k @ 23.9fps and typically render out in 1080p, Quicktime H.264, so I don't believe it's that demanding of a codec and application, definitely not as intensive as some of you use and DaVinci is capable of. I think my system should be fully capable of handling it.
I keep getting the message the "GPU Ram is full, lower timeline res or remove corrections", my timeline is 1080p and I get this message before I even do anything to the timeline, it happens when I add it to media pool. I would like to list a few questions and see if I can get some help.
-Why am I getting "GPU Full Message", is 8gb really not enough? If I upgrade to Studio and utilize two GPU's will this rectify it?
-When I render, it only renders out at about 10-12 fps, is this normal or should I expect faster renders, and would upgrading to studio and using two GPU's help this?
-When I upgrade and use two GPU's, how should they be configured, meaning should monitors be plugged into GPU #1 and use GPU#2 and processing GPU or vice versa. My MOBO is set up to be 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (support x16/x0/x0, x8/x8/x0, x8/x4/x4 modes)
-I am considering once I upgrade to also get another GPU and use it for my UI GPU that way I can put both of my 1070's towards processing, is this possible with the configuration I have and if so what GPU would be a good addition?
If someone can please help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz
Win10Pro-DaVinci Resolve 14.1.1
64GB Ram-3 x 1TB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (Boot, Scratch, Render)
3 x 2TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
2 x EVGA 1070 FTW Hybrid 8GB

joshua newman

Re: Dual GPU-Adding 3rd-Updrading ?'s

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 pm

Anybody got any ideas? I'd really appreciate the help.
Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 am

Your motherboard has one x16 slot. " (support x16/x0/x0, x8/x8/x0, x8/x4/x4 modes)"
Put one GPU in the x16 slot and take all other cards out. UI monitor should be plugged into that card. Make sure any motherboard GPUs are disabled.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

joshua newman

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Your motherboard has one x16 slot. " (support x16/x0/x0, x8/x8/x0, x8/x4/x4 modes)"
Put one GPU in the x16 slot and take all other cards out. UI monitor should be plugged into that card. Make sure any motherboard GPUs are disabled.
Peter,
Would this advice be the same if I had the free version or studio, do they both operate the same in regards to gpu's? Does resolve limit to just one gpu or is it more my systems specs that are limiting me to only being able to use one gpu? I would hate to have to remove a gpu just so I can use the program properly. Is there a way to be able to utilize both of my gpu's to either be able to get better performance or at the least be able to use it with both of them installed so it doesn't limit other programs that benefit from using two gpu's? Thanks for the input.

Josh

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 2:39 am

Your motherboard has one x16 slot.
Start with one GPU and measure the performance, playback speed or the like. Then add the second GPU to the second slot. you will now only have x8 speed to both GPUs so measure the performance and decide yourself which is best.

The free vs studio makes no difference to this test. Its a motherboard limitation.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

PeterMoretti

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 5:55 am

Joshua,

I really think something is wrong with your system. Like I said before, I'd recommend doing the following:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68046&p=381287#p381287

"If you want to provide a link to one of the files, I can test it out on my machine.

Other things I can think of are:
Check that you're running the latest version of Resolve.
Check that you're running the latest video card drivers.
Check your GPU settings inside Resolve. I've attached a copy of mine; you can also try CUDA or OpenCL instead of Auto.
Try making new projects and see if this always happens.
Run only one video card and be certain it is in the correct slot.
Physically remove the video cards and check their contacts (like Dean experienced).
Uninstall/reinstall Resolve.
Make a cell phone video of this happening and post it for the BMD team to see.
After a crash or out of memory error, post a file sharing link to a DaVinci Resolve log file. You create a diagnostic log by running the following program: C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\CaptureLogs.bat

Off the top of my head, these are the steps I would go through. And I've used some variety of them quite a few times when trying to figure out what's going with my setup."

Now OF COURSE you are under no obligation to follow my suggestions. But I have to say that behavior you've described of simply adding UHD H.264 media to the Media Pool causing a GPU RAM is full message is not normal, IMVHO.

Good luck!!
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Return to DaVinci Resolve