5.1 Panning without a Mix Board

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael McCaffrey

5.1 Panning without a Mix Board

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 am

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 4.30.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 4.30.51 PM.png (92.93 KiB) Viewed 506 times

I am trying to pan a sound effect from the front left speaker to the rear left speaker.

The only way I know how to do this is:

1. Click the latch button to turn on the latch
2. Click Pan
3. Set "Touch" to "Latch"
4. Click to turn on Latching on my SFX track
5. Open the Track Pan Control
6. Set my cursor like 15 seconds before the clip and hit record (then the video starts playing)
7. Quickly race to dial the knob to from Spread "Full" to a value of "17" or so to isolate the sound to that point.
8. Click on the blue square and move it from center to the front left speaker and wait till the video gets to the sound effect.
9. At just the right moment, I drag the blue square from my front left speaker to my rear left speaker.
(Now, to prevent the rest of my entire track from coming out the rear left speaker I have to..)
10. Quickly drag the blue square back to front and center.
11. Quickly dial the spread knob from my value of "17" back to "Full"
12. Stop playback.

This process is undoubtedly insane for the following reasons:
1. I need at least 10-15 seconds of lead time before the effect and after each effect on this track in order to give myself enough time to haphazardly set the dials and settings and move the panner around and then set everything back.
2. If I need to make an edit before the sound effect just applied a pan to, I need to erase and re-do every single pan on the track to keep the pans in sync with the edited sequence.
3. Adjusting pans like this in real-time with a mouse is like a circus act.

Surely there has GOT to be a better way???

Would be AMAZING to have Pan effects adjustable on the actual CLIP and have rubber bands or some way to be able to do it visually. This would accomplish two major problems:
1. It would allow me to precisely be able to adjust my pans in a civilized manner and get them exactly where I want them and when I want them.
2. Sliding the all the clips on the timeline up or down the sequence to make last minute edits would be no problem. Pans would remain intact with the clips. (I know I know, get picture lock first! Hah! Yeah right. We all know how well that works. If I cant make changes to my edit after applying pans to my mix, what's the point of keeping it all in one piece of software? In this case, Resolve's greatest strength is made irrelevant.)
3. Instead of having to do pans for an entire track and set the pan settings back to default before and after applying a pan, it wouldnt matter if the pan settings were applied on a clip level.

I understand audio mixing has been done a certain way for decades and using large sound boards -- but if all you have is a keyboard and a mouse, and your not mixing anything live, then the approach has to be entirely different imho.
Configuration:
Resolve Studio (Always the Latest)
Windows 11 Pro Workstation
32 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 256GB RAM
RTX 4090
RTX 3090
100G NAS
(1) 32" Ultra-Wide Display, (1) 4K 27” Display

Return to DaVinci Resolve