Resolve 14.2 bugs and feature requests

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

José Santos

Resolve 14.2 bugs and feature requests

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 12:23 pm

Hello I'd like to report the following bugs and make feature requests:

GENERAL:

• Color cast/temperature difference between the edit/fairlight page viewer and the color page viewer. Noticed when switching between the pages
(In general color management of the viewers is a mess. I found out through testing that (on a mac) even when the option is turned off in Resolve's settings, the icc profile in use has an effect on the viewer. So depending on the icc selected in preferences it’s already doing something! And when ticking the "use mac display color profiles for viewer" box on it seems that it doubles the icc profile's effect. I mentioned this you guys over a year ago even before you unveiled the new panels, that promote the use of the viewer with a dedicated viewer button. You didn’t care... If you promote the use of the viewer for grading you should at least improve the color management.)

• Opening and saving projects takes so long, maybe there are ways to improve the speed? The same applies when switching between pages. On a 20min short with 50 audio changing between pages takes a while. Also when switching to the color page the loading of the memories and stills takes forever.

• Progress bars when backing up or importing a project (progess bars everywhere would be the best!) I never know it it crashed or it's just taking long.

MEDIA MANAGEMENT/EXPORTING TO OTHER PLATFORMS:

• Due to the way resolve links video and audio, the audio files get treated as video files when exporting a fcpxxml resulting in several video layers. Please change the linking feature so that when you link audio with video audio keeps the same name in the timeline, an actual link instead of appending the audio files to the video files.

• The ability of media managing audio only is missing, I’d like to be able to transcode sound only in the media page under the file>media management option. Or transcode a merged video and sound clip to audio only.

• I would like the ability to manage optimized media, so that for example when I have a dedicated ssd for caching on one system but need to move the project to another system I don’t need to generate optimised media. (it would be great if the same applied to cache and stills).

• Please make the stills folder visible on the Mac.

EDITING:

• The snap strength of the edit page is to strong, when rippling with snapping on it’s very hard not to fall on an edit point or on the default ripple length (I know that it can be customised).

• When creating audio fade handles in the edit page that fade does not appear in the fairlight page unless adjusts the curve of said in the edit page, only then will the fade appear in the edit page.

• When working with linked selection turned off in the edit page I cannot ripple the edit point of overlaying clips at the same time even after having selected said clips. The selection should overwrite the unlinked option. I have to enter into trim edit mode to be able to trim two overlaying clips simultaneously when having linked selection turned off. This is a problem if I don't want to ripple trim but only trim and the edit points are touching other edit points.

COLOR:

•The colorspace transform ofx is by default cached when having smart caching on, could that be disabled?

•Control response on the tracker is horrible, when I’m tracking and I tell resolve to stop the track it takes ages and keeps tracking well beyond the point I asked it to stop the track.

FAIRLIGHT:

•When creating audio fade handles in the edit page that fade does not appear in the fairlight page unless adjusts the curve of said in the edit page, only then will the fade appear in the edit page.

•No possibility of changing audio clip speed in fairlight page.

• No possibility to add crossfade simply by dragging an audio clip over another in the fairlight page.

• No possibility of stepping frame by frame in the fairlight page at all. The use of the left and right arrow keys to jump between markers makes no sense at all.

• No possibility of working with linked clips in the fairlight page. If I want to ripple the edit points on 3 overlaying audio clips at the same time I have to jump into the edit page. Makes no sense.

• No ability to commit/print an effect applied to a clip on the fairlight page.

• No ability to "zoom in and out" on the waveform. Basically just making the waveform bigger or smaller without changing the volume or the track height.

EXPORT:

• NO LEVELS nor FADES when exporting an AAF or an XML or and FCPXML. Same for applies for the protools export preset in the delivery page. This is a huge miss. I call it a bug not a feature request.

• Possible bug in export for protools through deliver page: Subframe editing is not supported by protools and might get mistranslated in the AAF resulting in random clip positioning. Also might be speed changes applied to audio clips, didn't test.

• When exporting a FCPXML 1.6 and importing it into FCPX the clips do not appear in the FCPX media pool. The same applies to FCPX 1.5 and 1,4 but when using fcpx 1.3 xml it is not an issue.

• In the export page using the audio only option and selecting individual clips I cannot set the in point where there is no video. I cannot select an individual audio clip that has no video above it. If I try to set the in point where there is no video it the in point jumps to the start.

• When exporting individual clips and selecting custom name I always exports the clips with unique filenames even when that checkbox is turned off

CONTROL PANEL:

• When pressing the viewer button on the micro panel to leave full screen the base mem button, caching is lost, it also happens with pressing bypass on and off.

• I would like the ability to define the senitivity of the saturation/hue/contrast/pivot/etc.. knobs on the control panels.

Vit Reiter

Re: Resolve 14.2 bugs and feature requests

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 2:58 pm

FAIRLIGHT:
No possibility of stepping frame by frame in the fairlight page at all. The use of the left and right arrow keys to jump between markers makes no sense at all.

José,
you can press and hold the "K" key and than press "L" key for step by frame forward or "J" for step by frame backward.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Mike Halper

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 8:10 pm

On the Fairlight page, it's difficult to click and adjust keyframe points. If I add a keyframe, a lot of the time I can't select the keyframe. Sometimes the 4-way array cursor appears, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't appear, sometimes if I scroll left, right, up, or down, and back, I can get it to appear.

On the Fairlight page, some clips don't show the correct name. For example, I have an audio clip called "Room Tone" on a track and it shows the correct name on the Edit page. Go to the Fairlight page and it shows a completely different name that happens to be either the name of a video clip, the display name of a clip (showing scene number, or some timecode. It changes even as I scroll left or right.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Mike Halper

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 12:13 am

Also, on the Fairlight page the playhead does not stay in sync with the actual playback. The playhead gets ahead of the actual playback, so when I see the playhead go past a waveform it doesn't play the audio until a moment later. It takes several seconds for it to get really noticeably out of sync, but it consistently does get out of sync.

I should note that I'm on a Mac.
Last edited by Mike Halper on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Micha Clazing

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 am

José Santos wrote:• Opening and saving projects takes so long, maybe there are ways to improve the speed? The same applies when switching between pages. On a 20min short with 50 audio changing between pages takes a while.

I'd like to add that switching to the full screen viewer (ctrl+F) also takes ridiculously long. The Resolve UI disappears completely and I see my desktop for a second even on a high end 6 core with a 1080Ti.

Mike Halper

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 6:09 pm

These are all the issues I’ve been having with Fairlight:

1. VST and AU plugins don’t appear to receive enough processing power from the computer. I get audio glitches/crackles/artifacts during playback and rendering. Specifically I was using the Izotope RX6 Voice De-Noise, Spectral De-Noise, and De-Reverb plugins, as well as tested Waves Z-Noise plugins. I get the same result with all of them, and VST seems to be a lot worse than AU. I even tried restricting the rendering to 5 frames per second, used Optimized Media, and Render Cache and still had issues. You would think that with limiting to 5 frames per second rendering that Resolve will allow extra processing power to the plugins to do their thing, but that is not the case. I ended up sending individual tracks to the RX6 Audio Editor to do my filtering and editing outside of Resolve and the same features/plugins worked perfectly there, so it’s clearly an issue with Resolve’s use of the VST and AU plugins. This makes Fairlight unusable.

2. Using arrows to jump from clip to clip and track to track doesn’t work as it should. I have to click on a track before I can use the arrows. We should be able to at any time just press the right of left arrow and have it jump to and highlight/select a clip. But no, I always have to go and click on a track first. This is an extra step where I have to move the mouse to the right spot and navigate then click somewhere specific on the screen. Makes it less intuitive. Also, when navigating with the arrows and a clip is selected, the EQ and plugins for that clips don’t show in the inspector, and they should. If I need to quickly enable/disable something or change a setting across multiple clips quickly, it would be extremely helpful if the inspector was populating with all the settings for the clip that’s being navigated to.

3. The playhead does not stay in sync with the audio. I can see after a few seconds of playback that the playhead gets ahead of the actual audio and waveforms that are actually being played at that moment. This makes it very difficult to do some sound editing work.

4. Randomly VST and AU plugins disappear from clips. I don’t know what causes it, but it’s been an issue throughout the project I was working on. The last straw for me was opening the project last night and all the plugins on all the clips in the 22 minute project were gone. Hours of work completely gone.

5. Periodically, even though I have plugins on clips, the clips play ignoring the plugins. I have to completely restart Resolve to get them to work again.

6. Sometimes the keyboard play controls will not work. I noticed this mostly while working with plugins. Add a plugin to a clip. It’s window pops up. Adjust settings, close window. Then the only way to start playback is to click the play and stop buttons on the screen. Going to a different page and back would fix it, but the issue is frequent.

7. There's no way to copy plugins or attributes from one clip to other clips. Really? So basic.

8. No pan controls on individual clips. Really? So basic.

9. I have a 22 minute project. Every clip has a plugin or 2 applied to it. The project takes at least 3 minutes to load. Without plugins it takes about 2 seconds. 3 minutes to load a project is too long.

10. It's difficult to click and adjust keyframe points. If I add a keyframe, a lot of the time I can't select the keyframe. Sometimes the 4-way arrow cursor appears, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't appear, sometimes if I scroll left, right, up, or down, and back, I can get it to appear.

11. Some clips don't show the correct name. For example, I have an audio clip called "Room Tone" on a track and it shows the correct name on the Edit page. Go to the Fairlight page and it shows a completely different name that happens to be either the name of a video clip, the display name of a clip (showing scene number, or some timecode). It changes even as I scroll left or right.

12. Not just a Fairlight issue, but I’m having trouble determining what audio clips I’m using in 2-system audio when audio has been synced/linked to video. All the audio clips show as the name of the video clip. It would be ideal if there was a command or feature that allowed us to see what the actual audio clip being used is. Whether that is some kind of feature similar to collapsing in other NLE’s, breaking apart the video and audio of clips in the timeline (selected or all) or just changing the name displayed for audio clips would be helpful.

This is an Edit page issue:

Exporting metadata of multiple selected clips on the edit page doesn’t yield any useful metadata info of those clips. Exporting metadata of a single clips yields good info, including clip name, but when multiple clips are selected there’s not a list of each clip as there should be.

I'm using a 6-core 3.4GHz Mac Pro, 64GB RAM, 10.13.2, Resolve 14.2, all plugins are latest versions.

Kaku Ito

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi,

I installed the 14.2 to my Windows machine and now the app tries to boot but it crashes upon going through loading stage of Fairlight.

Downgraded 14.1 again but now it shows the same problem and won't start.

I did update the nvidia driver for my Titan-X to the latest, though.

Jean Claude

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Kaku Ito wrote:Hi,

I installed the 14.2 to my Windows machine and now the app tries to boot but it crashes upon going through loading stage of Fairlight.

Downgraded 14.1 again but now it shows the same problem and won't start.

I did update the nvidia driver for my Titan-X to the latest, though.

Is V14.1.1 or V14.0.1 version?

No answer. If it's since V14.01 see:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=67934#p380530

Important Information regarding Database Management
DaVinci Resolve 14.2 requires a database upgrade from DaVinci Resolve 14.0.1 and previous versions.
We strongly recommend that you backup your existing database (both DiskDB and PostgreSQL) before performing an upgrade.

Otherwise, I can not reproduce.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Kaku Ito

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi Jean,

I had 14.1 running then upgraded it to 14.2, I can't start the app. It stops at loading Fairlight page.
Went back to 14.1 then start having the same problem.

Jean Claude

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi Kaku,

In that case :
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54509
If you want help: help us. :?
(OS/Spec machine,etc...)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Kaku Ito

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Hi Jean,

The log file is too large to attach here. Is there another way to send it to you?

Jack Swart

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Mike,

I found, as you did, if you have many plugins on a track it takes forever to load.

My solution is to place the plugin on the track header near the audio controls on the left. Drop it into the space just to the right of the MUTE button. Double clicking here also open it in inspector for adjustment or deletion.

This way a single plugin does the entire track. Also avoids the need to copy and paste attributes, which does not currently work anyway.

Simply move clips that do not need the plugin to another track.

It works for me and immensely speeds up load time.

Also my Izotope plugins are V5. Apparently V6 is not yet suited for DR14.
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Mike Halper

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Jack Swart wrote:Mike,

I found, as you did, if you have many plugins on a track it takes forever to load.

My solution is to place the plugin on the track header near the audio controls on the left. Drop it into the space just to the right of the MUTE button. Double clicking here also open it in inspector for adjustment or deletion.

This way a single plugin does the entire track. Also avoids the need to copy and paste attributes, which does not currently work anyway.

Simply move clips that do not need the plugin to another track.

It works for me and immensely speeds up load time.

Also my Izotope plugins are V5. Apparently V6 is not yet suited for DR14.

Thanks for that info. I was not aware you could add a plugin to an entire track like that. I will try that and see if I still get the same glitches on render. Are you not getting any glitches with V5, but were with V6?

Paul Guy

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 12:46 am

Just stumbled upon a rather annoying issue with fonts in the text tool : not all variants of fonts are available in the list. On Mac OS, try using Myriad Pro. You don't see Condensed variants even though they're visible in the Font Book.

As explained in my previous post, Resolve on a french OS doesn't ingest filenames with accented characters.

Textboxes don't interpret the comma (number separator in France) as a period. Can't type values without doing acrobatics on the keyboard.

Please add a relink feature for moved / renamed files, like in Premiere. I've tried the workarounds detailed here and there, but they're band aids at best. There's no simple and efficient way to replace footage. Renaming happens. Variants are tools. I want to swap content easily.

There's no way to copy / paste effects between audio clips either in the timeline or in the fairlight pane. Or am I missing something ?

When creating a timeline from a clip in 1080p, Resolve creates an UHD timeline. Why ?

Resolve 14 is very promising, but for now I can't justify purchasing the full version...
Last edited by Paul Guy on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Swart

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 1:10 am

Mike,

I never installed Izoptpe V6 as DR was not on the supported list.

I firmly believe "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

V5 works well for me and has since DR12
DR Studio 18.6.3 b19, OS 13.2.1
2023 Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 20 core CPU, 48 core GPU, 128 GB ram
BM 3G ultra studio, 12TB SSDs in raid 0, 16TB HDD backup, 56TB archive server.
Tangent Elements panel, TV logic XVW-245W

Mike Halper

PostFri Dec 22, 2017 10:19 pm

I tried the RX6 plugins on the tracks instead of on the clips. It required me to add 4 additional tracks, but it does work for the rendering. I still get crackling/glitches on playback in Resolve, but not as much as before and I'm not hearing any issues on the render output, even at maximum fps.

I did notice that when I first added the RX6 Voice De-Noise plugin to the tracks (with Adaptive turned on) the plugin on track 1 didn't adapt to the audio clips that were on track 1 and instead adapted to the audio clips on track 2. I could see that by selecting track 1 to see the plugin in the inspector and then scrubbed the timeline. The setting changed only when I scrubbed across audio clips on track 2. The same plugin on the other tracks worked as they should. I removed the plugin, re-added it, and then it worked.

I did have to truncate my other tracks a little to minimize the number of tracks. I was getting more crackling/glitches on playback, and deleting as many tracks as I could helped.

I also started experiencing an issue with moving audio clips to other tracks on the Fairlight page. For example, if I clicked on a clip to drag it to a lower track it would jump up to a couple tracks above. I couldn't do anything to move it down. I had to go to the Edit page and move the audio clip there. I had the same issue trying to move an audio clip to the left and right also.

Message to BMD: I really want to be able to use the Fairlight feature. Being able to edit, color, and edit/mix audio all in one app at the level that Resolve is trying to do is highly advantageous. But it's not there yet, unfortunately. Bottom line, Fairlight in Resolve is NOT ready for primetime... not even close. BMD, you would be better off labeling the Fairlight page as a BETA level feature until you get the feature set complete and in line with other audio editing/mixing applications and fix the enormous number of bugs and issues with it. at v14.2 I would expect us to see the Fairlight feature more complete and reliable than it currently is. The rest of Resolve is fine, but Fairlight needs a TON of work. Right now, to be honest, the Fairlight feature really just makes you look bad.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 4:03 am

Thanks for the detailed reports.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 1:27 am

Paul Guy wrote:Just stumbled upon a rather annoying issue with fonts in the text tool : not all variants of fonts are available in the list. On Mac OS, try using Myriad Pro. You don't see Condensed variants even though they're visible in the Font Book.

I can confirm that that is a problem. As one example, if you install all the versions of Helvetica Neue, only a small number of them show up in Resolve. All of them show up in Microsoft Word, inDesign, and even simple apps like TextEdit.

When creating a timeline from a clip in 1080p, Resolve creates an UHD timeline. Why ?

The session defaults determine what resolution to use. Change the config defaults to whatever you want, and it won't create a UHD session. All of this is in the manual.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Martin Heffels

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 11:04 am

Mike Halper wrote:These are all the issues I’ve been having with Fairlight:

2. Using arrows to jump from clip to clip and track to track doesn’t work as it should. I have to click on a track before I can use the arrows. We should be able to at any time just press the right of left arrow and have it jump to and highlight/select a clip. But no, I always have to go and click on a track first. This is an extra step where I have to move the mouse to the right spot and navigate then click somewhere specific on the screen. Makes it less intuitive. Also, when navigating with the arrows and a clip is selected, the EQ and plugins for that clips don’t show in the inspector, and they should. If I need to quickly enable/disable something or change a setting across multiple clips quickly, it would be extremely helpful if the inspector was populating with all the settings for the clip that’s being navigated to.

1 - Adding on to the above, it would be nice that if I press the arrow (arrow right to go to the next clip) when the playhead is in the middle of a clip, it would jump to the start of the next clip, and not the start of the clip after the next clip.

2 - Further, if I go from the Edit-window to the Media-window, then change a clip attribute (different frame-rate in this case), when returning to the Edit-window, the playhead has jumped the middle of the timeline by itself.

3 - When an XML-import fails for some reason, the clip is on the timeline, but not in the Media. Relinking is impossible then, bar importing the clip manually, then replace it in the timeline. Sorry for dragging out the old horse, but Premiere does this much better, so have a sneak peek how they do this ;)

ShazDeJav

PostThu Jan 04, 2018 12:05 am

Hey yall,
I am also having issues with the new update. Everything was fine with 14.1.1 but i updated to 14.2 and now resolve crashes when enabling OFX window in 'Color' workspace. Tried unistalling and rolling back to 14.1.1 again but the same problem persists. Oh dear. :(
I also updated the Desktop video software to 10.9.9

LOG File Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uUqPj3kcPoi0jMLCH1gqfeh8ZlKrfyrD/view?usp=sharing
Shaz De Jav e.K.
DOP & Colourist

System: Custom Build
Asus Z10PE-8D WS Motherboard
2x Intel Xeon E5-2640v4 @2.4GHz
Kingston 128GB regECC RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti

Return to DaVinci Resolve