Embedded AAFs with handles for Protools

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Scott Danzig

Embedded AAFs with handles for Protools

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 6:44 am

I recently installed the 14.2 update (after having also recently switched to Resolve for my editing software), thinking it may solve this issue I've been having. My sound editor generally likes audio clip handles, and also for the audio to be embedded.

Question 1:
I think I'm able to generate files, but how do I embed the audio? Currently my strategy is to export an XML to premiere and generate an AAF in Premiere.

Question 2:
I saw mention of handles for the Protools export. I thought it was there before. It's only on the video tab, and not the audio tab, but it seems to respect the handle length on the video tab, for the audio clips. I think it was the same way in 14.1. What changed in relation to that functionality?

Thanks.
Davinci Resolve v16.2
Windows 10 Pro
NVidia Titan X Pascal (12GB)
128 GB RAM
Dual Intel Xeon v2683v4 processors
512GB SSD, 2TB SSD, 4TB DD, 3TB DD

Alexandre Sadowsky

Re: Embedded AAFs with handles for Protools

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 pm

I have the same problem. I edited a short movie in Resolve 14.2 recently and the Protools export had no handles… Is the a trick ?
Resolve 18.6.2 - Ventura 13.4 - Mac Studio M2 Ultra - 192 Go Ram - Decklink MiniMonitor 4K - BM Mini Panel

Travis Marshall

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Also have this question.

PieroLass

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 5:01 pm

From 14.2 export to davinci have handles, but you can only use in protools 12!!!!
the export generates mxf files with different names from the original audio files in the case of syncronized clip! And brings no metadata at all! So any sound editors is very upset.
I hope there will be a solution soon because I'm working on a big movie but the sound dipartment it is starting a fight with me because of the aaf without metadata.

tswaff20

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 9:48 pm

Yeah, I am having trouble with this as well. AAFs need to be embedded for my purpose as well and there does not seem to be an option for that. Keeps kicking out tons of mxf files which I can import and open in pro tools. However I am losing all of the audio fades and volume automation that usually comes over to pro tools with Premiere and Avid.

So, if anyone figures out how to do an embedded AAF, please share!!!

Travis Marshall

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 4:41 pm

My mixer was able to use a reference AAF file with external media created in the Pro Tools preset. HOWEVER, the lack of clip levels and cross-fades in the AAF file really should be fixed. I know some mixers don't want to have an editor's automation to overwrite, but simple cross-fades and basic levels are pretty important for reference.

Marck Voyer

PostThu Feb 01, 2018 4:53 pm

Following this thread!

Our audio engineer has been frustrated with this since a long time (not having the audio automation go from Resolve to ProTools).

As far as the handles goes, we were successful to give them handles by using send to avid instead of send to protools... Did not test send to protools since we upgraded to 14.2 / PT 12.

Hope Blackmagic works on these issues!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 2:04 am

Please let us know if the handles bug is not fixed for you in 14.2/14.3 and PT12 with ProTools export.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Travis Marshall

PostFri Feb 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Handles DID work for me, but again none of the clip levels, cross-fades, or automation go through, which would be nice to have for our mixer.

Travis Marshall

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Still having issues with this, as sometimes certain tracks are coming up out of sync once the AAF is in ProTools.

My poor audio mixer now has to have a 9 channel polywave as reference for his mix, so he knows where these clips are supposed to belong in the timeline. Very strange. I don't understand why there is no embedded AAF support in Resolve.

Return to DaVinci Resolve