Updating clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jim Sulley

Updating clips

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 3:06 pm

I can not seem to get Resolve to update clips in the media pool when then have been changed externally. Specifically we create our slates in PhotoShop. If we make a change to a file, it does not show up in Resolve unless we restart the program. Have tried using both .psd and .tiff files. And have tried both the Studio and free versions of Resolve 14.2 on several different machines. If we export, it of course uses the correct file since it is only a reference, but not being able to see changes as we make them is a big hurdle as we try to Resolve our Adobe issue, pun intended.

We have tried refresh, rediscover optimized media. Even re-importing the file does not work, have to restart to see new version.

Resolve 14.2.0.012
Windows 10 Pro

Nigel Rogers

Re: Updating clips

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 7:19 pm

I also have the same issue. Is it a bug or a feature request, ie I would like a refresh option for linked media please or better still option for it to be automatically. I am storyboarding and creating an animatic in Resolve and placing psd or png in the timeline.

Resolve Studio 14.2.0.012
macOS High Sierra

Stephen Hunter

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 3:54 am

Also having the same issue - has anyone figured out how to do this?
...and the other way is wrong.

Nigel Rogers

PostFri Apr 13, 2018 8:34 am

The "relink" file worked a bit in Resolve 15 beta and then stopped. Resolve is not updating the cache version on relink :(

The workaround is to delete the file (leave on timeline) and import the new version into the media pool. :shock:

Stephen Hunter

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 7:15 am

Hurr.. Hope it gets looked at in future.
...and the other way is wrong.

andrew_dotdot

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 8:24 am

Even if an update graphic feature were only possible for static formats like jpg, png, tiff and psd – that would be a huge step forward.

I have no interest in trying to recreate stuff that's simple to do in Photoshop using Fusion, even if I like Fusion. The graphic designers I work with even less so!
Andrew Hart - Stockholm, Sweden

Resolve Studio 18.5
Mac M1 Pro on MacOS 13.4.1

TheBloke

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 12:06 pm

Interesting, I thought these did automatically update. That was based on my experience with EXR image sequences which - at least when used on a Timeline, as video footage - certainly do update live for external changes. I used this an awful lot when I was rendering EXR sequences in Fusion Studio which were used on Resolve Timelines. Resolve noticed the updated frames almost immediately, at least as long as there was no Render Caching involved.

Maybe it's unique to EXRs? Or unique to image sequences? Not sure.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

TheBloke

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:35 pm

I just did a quick test with a single PNG file. I imported it into Resolve and put it on a Timeline. Then I updated it in Photoshop and resaved over the top.

The result was that Resolve did see the update, pretty much immediately. I didn't use Relink or anything like that, it detected the change to the file automatically and instantly.

Double-clicking on the clip in the Media Pool showed the updated clip in the Source Viewer, and playback on the Timeline containing that clip also showed the new updated file. The thumbnail didn't update on the Timeline, however it did when I switched from one Timeline back to the original one (or I could cause it to happen immediately with Conform Lock With Selected Clip in Media Pool.)

The did have one slightly odd issue, whereby initially the image didn't update in the Timeline viewer when the playhead was paused. So I had the strange situation where the Viewer correctly showed the updated PNG when I hit play, and when I manually scrubbed the playhead. But when playback was paused, the Viewer showed the old image.

This problem eventually went away, I think as a result of my moving the clip and adjusting its length on the timeline. And later I tested again and found that this issue did not occur if I switched Timeline and then went back to the original one.

Anyway, so far my experience is that still images do update to reflect changes on-disk, possibly with one or two minor glitches. So I'm interested to know what workflow people are using where they are not seeing updates happen?

Of course if any Render Cache is enabled, this would be expected to cache the old clip until the cache was refreshed. I had Render Cache disabled for this test.
Last edited by TheBloke on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

Jim Simon

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:39 pm

PNG's have always updated automatically for me as well.

I've never had need of any other image format.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

brabandt.hans

PostSun Oct 04, 2020 4:22 am

Hello users,

I am having the same/similar issue.

.mp4 file 36sec long won't relink. Tried renaming, moving to another DIR, changed the source folder but Resolve wont see any MP4 files in order to relink, but they are clearly there when I select 'Open File Location'.

I have a Dell Precision 5810T middle of the range workstation so I don't think it's a performance issue.

Can you please advice suggestions?

Return to DaVinci Resolve