Lost all Powergrades when upgraded to resolve 14

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Blai Graell

Lost all Powergrades when upgraded to resolve 14

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 9:45 am

This morning I upgraded from resolve 12.5 to resolve 14. Before doing so I did a backup of both my local and my PostgreSQL databases. After upgrading to resolve 14 I launched resolve and restored my backup of the PostgreSQL database. All my projects came back propperly but when I open them all the powergrades are missing!! The stills folders of the project are there but no powergrade folder appear. Can somebody help me please? It's 6 years of work gone in a second :o

I'm on a 2010 MacPro running OS Sierra 10.12.6

Thanks in advance,
Blai

John Paines

Re: Lost all Powergrades when upgraded to resolve 14

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 pm

It's likely that the galleries and cache disk locations have changed in the preferences, in the course of the upgrade -- if you reset these locations to the prior ones under 12.5, Resolve may be able to find the powergrades.

If that doesn't work, you could reinstall 12.5, load the old database and either export the powergrades as DPX files (to be imported in 14), or you could try moving them into actual saved projects and restoring them to powergrades inside 14, drag and drop.

Dermot Shane

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:14 pm

did you back up your database before upgradeing?

if so;
roll back to 12.5, link to the saved database
open up a new project and call it "powergrades"
copy all the powergrades to a normal grades bin
save a DRP "with stills and luts"
once back with 14.2 running, import the "powergrades" DRP
open it and copy the saved stils into your powergrades bin

if you did not backup your database you could go through ezisting projects and find shots with the grades applied, and start a re-building that way

best pratice is to make DRP's of all projects for safety and when upgradeing make a new database, and import the DRP's as needed, leaving old Database safe

Marc Wielage

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 4:29 am

Yes, it is a little harrowing that PowerGrades don't automatically get brought into the new version, and also Keyboard Shortcuts don't get imported either (which figures, since they were in a different part of the program). As far as I know, you have to manually import both. I solved it by creating a dual-boot session, installing Resolve 12.5 on one side, bringing up an old session, and exporting all the Gallery stills for PowerGrades and also the Keyboard Shortcuts. Once that's done, exit, reboot to the other drive, and import them all into Resolve 14.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve