Fairlight Q: patch two mono tracks to input of stereo track?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Tiemann

Fairlight Q: patch two mono tracks to input of stereo track?

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 pm

I have two mono tracks that contain recorded audio. I want to patch one track to the left input of a stereo track and the other track to the right intput of that stereo track. In the Fairlight >Patch Input/Output pane I have selected Track Direct as the audio source, Track Input as the audio destination. I have made the appropriate routing patches. I have discovered that Direct Out is not on by default, but can be turned on by selecting Input options of the source audio tracks and during on the Direct Out function. (And I have noticed that one can choose in the same input preferences pane whether the track outputs are pre or post fader.) I have resisted the urge to write how bizarre it is that a channel's output path would be governed by its input options.

Where I am stymied is that after setting up the patches and enabling the Direct Outs, I see no audio signal coming into the stereo audio track. Obviously there is no audio clip for this stereo track because the inputs are coming from elsewhere, not media files. But what does it take to feed a group of audio tracks to another audio track as promised by the Patch Input/Output pane?
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Michael Tiemann

SOLVED: Input settings->record level->Thru

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Ha! Answered my own question. Studying the Audio Processing Path diagram on page 1199, I saw that playback overrides the Chanel Input, but the recording path does not. I found that setting the input option to Thru created the required path to feed one set of audio tracks into another. Phew!
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Return to DaVinci Resolve