All your answers are right here!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dariobigi

All your answers are right here!

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 4:35 pm

RTFM - Google - RTFM - Google - RTFM - Google - AND THEN TRY SOME MORE. :idea:

In honor of all the Resolve Community who post answers to the odd tricky questions to hard to find answers...Thank you for taking the time and sharing your knowledge. :ugeek:

To everyone who is in a rush and doesn't do it... You are wasting our time by reading your posts/requests. :x

If it's not in the Manual, it's on the BMD Forum.
If it's not in the Forum, it's on Lift Gamma Gain.
If it's not on Lift Gamma Gain it's on several other Colorist Forum that are posted in the BMD FORUM!

And then and only then when you've spent over an hour doing your due diligence... YES an HOUR (said so at least you will spend 30 minutes) because you are as petulant and demanding as a 3 year old child with ADD that had too much candy...

THEN you should Post / Write / Call / Send Smoke Signals to get help from another persons spare time.

There are more questions on this Forum that are ANSWERED ALREADY than there are REAL questions and bug reports.

I don't want to be negative.
I don't want to shame you.
I love the community and try and do my part to contribute...
BUT HOLY$%!?!!! People are asking for Upgrade Feature Requests that are already there! :shock:
Too many matches when you Command/Control - F the manual?... too bad! READ THE FRIGGIN' MANUAL!
You are showing your ignorance, lack of effort and selfishness. :oops:

Make and effort. Show how smart you really are. (Kudos to all who follow up their questions with their own solved/found answers). Bring something TO the community and help improve it... and take a moment follow the Forum Rules and list your OS, and specs and attach a link to a crash log (no... you can't attach one their too big) and HELP US HELP YOU... when you really, Really, REALLY need it. :!:

Ok... I'm done. (Posted on a Saturday because I had time to. Get back to work if you're reading this on a weekday. ;)

(This will be posted again in 6 months because... well... you know why.)
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: All your Answers are RIGHT HERE!

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 5:46 am

Thanks.

Just that.

Thanks.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Spencer_Meyer

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 5:58 am

Yep. Forum Closed.
DaVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 6:00 am

:D

I always say... 60% of the time, the answer turns out to be: "read the manual." Maybe 20% of the time, the answer is, "get much bigger, faster hardware." 10% of the time, the answer is, "don't use H.264 files for editing and color."

But the 10% that remains are often legitimate questions, particularly if it involves malfunctions or an unexpected result when you process or change an image.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dan Sherman

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 7:18 am

A product priced as Resole currently is, is going to end up in the hands of a lot of consumers who dont even know what terms they need to search for. So you should either learn to deal with it, or find a different forum.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Al Spaeth

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 8:44 am

I fully understand why media professionals with often decades of experience are suffering the frustrations of the seemingly "stupid" questions from those of us who are less fortunate or have to work with "inferior" codecs like H.264 and now H.265.
1) "Free software" results in greater product exposure which has helped BM in their efforts to build a new NLE from a sophisticated colour correction software product used for many years by professionals/studios. We do appreciate the time these pros give to the forum to assist others. Free software also results in a "free for all".
2) One possible solution is to divide the forum into licensed users only and a separate section for free users comparing Resolve to other NLEs they are familiar with or even new to NLEs. We are prone to asking "stupid questions".
Or BM could put the price back to $100k which would eliminate all of us.
3) "RTFM" is good advice but don't hold your breath. It's a huge reference manual and not likely make the best seller list.
4) It's complex and changing rapidly (eg Fairlight). Training videos are often more helpful and easier to understand than manuals. "Goat's Eye View" (recommended) has created 125 free training videos for Resolve 12 and 12.5 basics on YouTube. She hasn't started on ver 14 and may be waiting for ver 15. Other NLEs started as NLEs and have evolved incrementally over many years so the learning curve is not as steep.
5) Many of us don't have luxury of (can't afford) pro cameras and have to use H.264/265 media from 4k action cams, drones, and "consumer" cameras. We accept it's less than ideal for editing for many reasons and I accept that I can't fix ten stops of exposure latitude but it looks pretty impressive on a UHD TV. We can afford a low cost software solution like Resolve Studio. These codecs are capable of higher delivery quality including HDR and Rec2020. Resolve needs better delivery quality.
Last edited by Al Spaeth on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve 15.3 free Win 10 64bit

Jean Claude

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 am

I admit that by looking at certain questions: how to answer?
We do not know the OS, the hardware configuration, whether it is Davinci Resolve Studio or Free ... In short, I go my way => I do not answer.

No help to go => No help to hope in return. :mrgreen:

Yet there is one important post:
Please read before posting support questions
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54509
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Charles Bennett

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 10:36 am

Well, here's another one. All it says is:

"Hello all,

Why is Davinci Resolve so slow to render? Mine is showing 0 to 9.

Vic."
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Al Spaeth

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am

Jean Claude wrote:I admit that by looking at certain questions: how to answer?
We do not know the OS, the hardware configuration, whether it is Davinci Resolve Studio or Free ... In short, I go my way => I do not answer.

+1 Maybe all that info should be in the user profile for easy reference.

Tero Ahlfors

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 3:13 pm

I'd also add:

If you're trying to figure something out on your own then just try it. Things are nondestructive in programs nowadays and there's also the undo feature if you mess something up.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 2:08 am

Al Spaeth wrote:3) "RTFM" is good advice but don't hold your breath. It's a huge reference manual and not likely make the best seller list.

I don't have any patience for people trying to learn something who won't even bother to read the manual. About 75% of the time here, somebody asks how to do XY&Z, and I'll say, oh yeah that's on page 660 of the manual. But I type very fast, read even faster, and don't mind helping. Still, it's no substitute for actual learning, and that only happens if you try harder and read the manual. The video tutorials will only take you so far, and there's no tutorials out there that cover all 1320 pages of the manual.

Tero Ahlfors

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:41 am

Al Spaeth wrote:5) Many of us don't have luxury of (can't afford) pro cameras and have to use H.264/265 media from 4k action cams, drones, and "consumer" cameras.

But all of you have access to tools so you can transcode the source files to better formats and add reel names and timecode to them before editing. There's been a lot of relinking issues brought up that come down to these kind of things and they could be easily corrected with some pre-edit prep work.

Thomas Milde

Re: All your answers are right here!

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:11 am

+1

Was the first thing I learned as a consumer cam user: Transcode!
Tech:
Win 10 pro, Ryzen 9 5900X, 128 GB, M.2 for media
RTX 3080 ti, Intensity Pro, DVR Studio + Fusion 18.x, Desktop Video 12.x

Cedric Cornell

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 12:18 pm

before my first post here (lurker) I went thrught the whole 80 or so episodes of Goat Eye veiw on Youtube...

so should 90% of new free users....
GoPro Hero 4 & 5 / Canon 70D
i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-E, ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, DDR4 2666MHz 32GB, Samsung 512 GB (NVMe), 2 TB Storage.

Stewart Hemley

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Dario thanks for the post. Agree 100%. So many times I have been tempted to reply to basic questions that are covered fully in the manual, or online, with "Just RTFM" and probably to add " and stop being lazy and expect people to do your thinking for you" but I lack your cojones.

IMHO your post should be a "sticky". Just leave it up there. Although many people wouldn't bother to read it. And something similar is already there from BM.

dariobigi

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:A product priced as Resole currently is, is going to end up in the hands of a lot of consumers who dont even know what terms they need to search for. So you should either learn to deal with it, or find a different forum.
That does not negate reading the manual (and encouraging people to do so). I vented. Spoke my peace & will continue to help viable questions when I can.
Feel free to reply to all the posts that have previous answers in my stead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

dariobigi

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Stewart Hemley wrote:Dario thanks for the post. Agree 100%. So many times I have been tempted to reply to basic questions that are covered fully in the manual, or online, with "Just RTFM" and probably to add " and stop being lazy and expect people to do your thinking for you" but I lack your cojones.

IMHO your post should be a "sticky". Just leave it up there. Although many people wouldn't bother to read it. And something similar is already there from BM.

Tone is a slippery slope in posting something. I included emojis to lighten it up and help. I stated my intent of non-negativity. I offered solutions (web& other forums) besides RTFM. No cojones needed. I learn something new almost ever session due to a diversity of projects & footage. We all do, as we foist our skill set onto “difficult” projects & problems. Hopefully it will resonate with some people and benefit us all (ALL i said). That’s the purpose of any open forum. ;-)

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Dan Sherman

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 5:05 pm

dariobigi wrote: That does not negate reading the manual (and encouraging people to do so).

You missed the point completely! It doesn't mater how many times someone reads the manual, if they don't have enough knowledge, or context to understand it, then they won't learn anything.

As someone who spends a lot of time teaching junior employees, I can tell you most of my time is spent learning what they know, so I can explain something in a context they will understand.

Then their is the fact that some people are visual learners. You can arrogantly talk down to them with theory till the end of time and they won't learn a thing. Show them once and they pick it up instantly.

As far as I'm concerned RTFM is an ass hat response.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

dariobigi

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Marc Wielage wrote::D

I always say... 60% of the time, the answer turns out to be: "read the manual." Maybe 20% of the time, the answer is, "get much bigger, faster hardware." 10% of the time, the answer is, "don't use H.264 files for editing and color."

But the 10% that remains are often legitimate questions, particularly if it involves malfunctions or an unexpected result when you process or change an image.
Completely Agree

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

dariobigi

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 5:37 pm

Al Spaeth wrote:
Jean Claude wrote:I admit that by looking at certain questions: how to answer?

+1 Maybe all that info should be in the user profile for easy reference.
Mine is.

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

dariobigi

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 6:09 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
dariobigi wrote: That does not negate reading the manual (and encouraging people to do so).

You missed the point completely! It doesn't mater how many times someone reads the manual, if they don't have enough knowledge, or context to understand it, then they won't learn anything.

As someone who spends a lot of time teaching junior employees, I can tell you most of my time is spent learning what they know, so I can explain something in a context they will understand.

Then their is the fact that some people are visual learners. You can arrogantly talk down to them with theory till the end of time and they won't learn a thing. Show them once and they pick it up instantly.

I believe posting a question before searching for the answer for the question is a waste of everybody’s time who is reading to that question. I believe reading the manual WHILE in front of the software AND footage AND testing out ideas IS a way to visually learn. I believe that searching and “visually” seeking out answers on other forums besides here... and other videos (goats eye & mixinglight) besides here is a way to learn. Blurting out vague questions into a form without considering the details that are needed to answer them should be addressed... and I did so. Give a man a fish... or Teach a man to fish.
I’m not name calling (love the term AssHat by the way... one of my faves). I’m calling out actions & repercussions and offering alternatives and an alternative way for people to see THEIR questions. I am self taught. I am encouraging that. If you re-read my original post, consider not putting your perceived “arrogant” tone to my post and see my pauses, apologies, emojis & acknowledgements. Hopefully everyone gets something out of this. And takes the time before posting... anything.
And now... back to work.

Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Dermot Shane

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 6:30 pm

if the manual was not so utterly defficent is so many ways - i would agree with you Dario...

unfortuantly, just as when you posted the same thing last year, the manual is still riddled with erors and ommisions, but especialy omissions and some outright bad advice...

the notes i had from last year are still not addressed, and given the video style gradeing approach of the author, i'm not holding my breath for anything to change anytime soon, i don't think there's any understanding of anything but his narrow approach to gradeing, and probbaly comes from zero time on Baselight, Nucoda or Luster.. kinda a 1998 video gradeing tunnel vision presented as the one true way...

and that's leaving the gapeing back hole of F'dupLight documentation aside....

Jean Claude

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Thank you Dario for reminding us of simple things for everyone
Regards.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

dariobigi

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:if the manual was not so utterly defficent is so many ways - i would agree with you Dario...

unfortunately, just as when you posted the same thing last year, the manual is still riddled with errors and commissions, but especially omissions and some outright bad advice...

Hey Dermont,

You have valid points. The manual isn't the end all and be all.
It's the 65% of questions that can be answered in the manual...
or by searching the forum...
or by watching a web video on many qualified sites
than when asked without any true effort prior to getting the answer.

I am all for the community, and the knowledge we share. I am thankful for it. When I have time I run through the forums to learn, to help and to anticipate future problems in workflows. I love that I can find that odd answer about the 4th track ball or the Hotkey pattern that ISN'T listed.

The last time in the forum, more time was spent reading (answerable) questions that not. That's why I wrote this post with this title "All your answers are right here!" - It's click bait. It's sarcasm.
That's also why I wrote "- Google - " several times in between the RTFM.

Hell... even I don't find the answers to my searches on the first try,
the first page,
the first hit.
I learn so much as occasionally get sucked down an internet learning rabbit hole. I just do my best before I post.

And now of course this is more than I ever wanted to write or reply to on the matter and goes way beyond the original intent of venting, commiserating, thanking, shaming and inspiring people.

Nuf' said.

I hope everyone's projects are coming to fruition with sanity.

Sincerly Dario "AssHat" Bigi csi :D
Dario Bigi, Colorist
New York

Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Al Spaeth

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:You missed the point completely! It doesn't mater how many times someone reads the manual, if they don't have enough knowledge, or context to understand it, then they won't learn anything.

Agreed Dan - plus the NLE world has a unique language and terminology difficult for many to understand. Insulting people rarely solves the problem. On any forum members will ask "how to" questions which the answer is obvious to most. I've also done a fair amount software training (not NLE) and believe the old adage - "The only "stupid question" is one you don't ask".

Bryan Worsley

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 2:58 am

Cedric Cornell wrote:before my first post here (lurker) I went thrught the whole 80 or so episodes of Goat Eye veiw on Youtube...

so should 90% of new free users....

+1 on that. Excellent series. Granted, it deals with DR 12/12.5 specifically, but a think any new user coming in on 14 would find it just as useful.

AndreeMarkefors

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 8:50 am

Dan Sherman wrote:A product priced as Resole currently is, is going to end up in the hands of a lot of consumers who dont even know what terms they need to search for. So you should either learn to deal with it, or find a different forum.

You're right to your opinion Dan, but I don't feel this is right at all. Not on a moral level nor practical.

#1 I think it's fair to expect someone to read the documentation of a product they buy. If they DO read it, but don't understand it, that is a pretty solid indication that they're in over their head, or should at least start on a more basic level to build the necessary foundation to deal with more complex concepts.

But most users don't read the manual. They look for shortcuts and want things served. People are nice and will answer.

A user shouldn't show up here totally green with a sense of entitlement because they had $300 to spare. It's not how it works.

I recently had questions of my own about the implications of setting Resolve to 'DaVinci Color Managed'. I wasn't sure what was going on behind the scenes in terms of 'targets' or 'active transformations' and was tempted to ask here or on LGG. Instead I went Help --> DVR Reference Manual --> Search Field.

After less than 10 min worth of reading I had solidified my understanding and could continue working. And once in the manual I often stick around and read up on other things. It's not bad at all!

There's a much larger, over arching theme at play here: life has gotten so much easier, more comfortable in the last 80 years. I think there's a point where things will have to become more difficult again, lest we all become a bunch of pacified and numb drones. Resistance fosters determination. Or, alternatively, it will serve its purpose as means of natural selection.

I actually think this larger issue is the main one, but from a practical viewpoint, endless basic questions that are clearly answered in the manual becomes forum noise. No one wants that.
Current camera: Canon R5C
Mac Pro 2019: 12c | Dual W6800X Duo | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K + LG 55C8
MacBook Pro M3 Max 16" 16/40, 64GB

Tero Ahlfors

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 am

AndreeMarkefors wrote:#1 I think it's fair to expect someone to read the documentation of a product they buy. If they DO read it, but don't understand it, that is a pretty solid indication that they're in over their head, or should at least start on a more basic level to build the necessary foundation to deal with more complex concepts.

This. If there's no foundation one should start with some super basic general editing/grading 101. It's not glamorous and cool but it's really important. Then one can take that experience and use it in everything.

AndreeMarkefors wrote:There's a much larger, over arching theme at play here: life has gotten so much easier, more comfortable in the last 80 years. I think there's a point where things will have to become more difficult again, lest we all become a bunch of pacified and numb drones. Resistance fosters determination. Or, alternatively, it will serve its purpose as means of natural selection.

And this. There are so much questions about trying to automate everything so one doesn't learn/want to learn how to actually do the job.

Ellory Yu

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 12:04 am

I think you can read the manual from front to back and learn how to use the software. It will get you to know how to use the software but it does not help you learn how to optimally color and grade with the tool. Of course you can resort to other instructions like Alexis Van Hurkman's excellent book "Color Correction Handbook" but I think for the uninitiated it is not a fast track when you are trying to get something done ASAP. Hence many resort to how to videos and forums, and inundating others with [silly] questions. Maybe someday someone with the know-how of Resolve like Daria Fissoun and a colorist like Alexis can come up with a "cook book" that similar to those that professional software engineers have used to get new concepts to code during time crunch, like the O'reilly series of programming cook books (https://ssearch.oreilly.com/?q=cookbook) that will supplement the manual. I said supplement not replace.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Marc Wielage

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 1:31 am

Ellory Yu wrote:Maybe someday someone with the know-how of Resolve like Daria Fissoun and a colorist like Alexis can come up with a "cook book" that similar to those that professional software engineers have used to get new concepts to code during time crunch, like the O'reilly series of programming cook books (https://ssearch.oreilly.com/?q=cookbook) that will supplement the manual. I said supplement not replace.

One problem with this idea: there is a lot about Resolve and reading the manual that is kind of like trying to learn to ride a bicycle by reading the manual. You have to actually USE the program to understand what the manual says. Online Tutorials (particularly from MixingLight, FXPHD, Lowepost, and Ripple Training) help a lot to fill in the gaps.

Becoming a colorist is a process that happens over time. I could draw comparisons to becoming a cinematographer or an editor or a VFX artist or a sound mixer: it doesn't happen overnight, and it requires work and time and subjective experience to really wrap your head around it.

I will say that Blackmagic Design has gone a long way towards providing the "cook books" you ask for with their recent course manuals, which are available for free on their training page:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

That's basically $200 in books for free, available as PDFs. Go through every one of those, and you'll have taken a big step towards being a colorist.

VioletWolf

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 2:47 am

Books? :?
Resolve 17.1.1 | Windows 10 x64 (Latest Updates) | AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
| 32GB RAM |MSI NVIDIA RTX 2070 8 Gig - Driver 457.51 | Refugee from Adobe Premiere / After Effects

Peter Cave

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 3:49 am

Learning to edit/grade in Resolve is similar to learning to drive in a Formula One race car. Possible but certainly not easy. Asking an F1 driver to show you what the pedals are for may result in an unexpected response.
Resolve 18.6.5 Mac OSX 14.4 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Marc Wielage

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 am

VioletWolf wrote:Books? :?

Yeah, those are these very cool sources of knowledge put together by experts who use words to express complete thoughts in order to educate people who know very little, and the hope is someday they'll know more. Books are available as PDF files (readable on computers, eBook readers, or tablets) or as actual printed physical media documents sold by firms like Amazon. Books are terrific and can change your life -- you should try them.

The fact that Blackmagic gives these away for free is really pretty amazing, when you think about it.

Chris Whitten

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 8:42 am

Playing devil's advocate somewhat......
I have 40 years high level experience in the music industry.
I have been an active member on several music forums. I take pleasure in helping people with less experience. I enjoy it. If it gets too much, or too frustrating, I just don't reply, or don't even open the topic in the first place.
One forum I am a member of has a whole 'newbie' section - which is designed for inexperienced people to post simple, often obvious questions. Wiser forum members go there to help, with the forum moderator's message atop the forum reminding us 'go easy, be gentle'.

Ok, the problem I have have with BMD cameras and Resolve is that I DON'T understand the technical terms. I haven't studied as a cinematographer or colourist.
I have spent a lot of money on Ripple Training courses, and watched BMD's free films, plus spent hours watching other users Youtube videos etc. So I mostly get by on that.
I asked a simple question here a few days ago and got one half helpful reply.
How does one go about the workflow for BRAW in Resolve 15?
I was told it was briefly mentioned in the latest 15.3 manual, which I downloaded. I didn't really find much specific advice.
In the Camera Raw chapter, it describes in detail every codec from Sony to CDNG except BRAW.
Ripple Training have briefly covered it in a '5 minute' video, but just explain all the options.
In the Ripple Training Hurkman tutorials for past versions of Resolve, he takes you through a complete workflow on setting up your project for CDNG, from woe to go. That would be helpful regarding BRAW in my opinion.
I actually think BMD should have produced a free video explains how to best process BRAW in Resolve - but they haven't.
To conclude, I don't really get the frustration behind this thread. If people are asking silly, overly basic questions, just ignore them if it winds you up. But maybe, BMD can open a 'newbie' section of the forum. Although it helps no one if wiser heads don't go there to help the naive (like me).
Chris Whitten

Rick van den Berg

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 11:49 am

Chris Whitten wrote:Playing devil's advocate somewhat......
I have 40 years high level experience in the music industry.
I have been an active member on several music forums. I take pleasure in helping people with less experience. I enjoy it. If it gets too much, or too frustrating, I just don't reply, or don't even open the topic in the first place.
One forum I am a member of has a whole 'newbie' section - which is designed for inexperienced people to post simple, often obvious questions. Wiser forum members go there to help, with the forum moderator's message atop the forum reminding us 'go easy, be gentle'.

Ok, the problem I have have with BMD cameras and Resolve is that I DON'T understand the technical terms. I haven't studied as a cinematographer or colourist.
I have spent a lot of money on Ripple Training courses, and watched BMD's free films, plus spent hours watching other users Youtube videos etc. So I mostly get by on that.
I asked a simple question here a few days ago and got one half helpful reply.
How does one go about the workflow for BRAW in Resolve 15?
I was told it was briefly mentioned in the latest 15.3 manual, which I downloaded. I didn't really find much specific advice.
In the Camera Raw chapter, it describes in detail every codec from Sony to CDNG except BRAW.
Ripple Training have briefly covered it in a '5 minute' video, but just explain all the options.
In the Ripple Training Hurkman tutorials for past versions of Resolve, he takes you through a complete workflow on setting up your project for CDNG, from woe to go. That would be helpful regarding BRAW in my opinion.
I actually think BMD should have produced a free video explains how to best process BRAW in Resolve - but they haven't.
To conclude, I don't really get the frustration behind this thread. If people are asking silly, overly basic questions, just ignore them if it winds you up. But maybe, BMD can open a 'newbie' section of the forum. Although it helps no one if wiser heads don't go there to help the naive (like me).

exactly my thoughts.

This thread pegs me a little bit.

I have spent alot of time consulting the manual, watching tutorials, reading blogs, and most of the time i was searching for something very specific, i was just looking for the wrong stuff since my knowledge about specific terms is still a little restricted.

as much as i agree that some ''basic'' questions can come off as lazy, they might not be. its hard to express emotion into written text for some people as it might not be his/her native language, which will mostly make it look even more messy/lazy.

ofcourse there are always people who are actually lazy. they exist everywhere.
thats kind of the result of all the new users, which i think is the goal of blackmagic.

how can you prevent people from posting stuff before doing research first? and after how many minutes/hours/days of researching are you allowed to post something here? i think the target audience is, ironically, not even reading this thread.

In retrospect, i think i also asked some ''stupid'' questions before, and im sure the last one is still to come. you can study the entire manual and still dont have a clue what the ''best'' way is to do something specific.
but the line of what makes a question stupid or not, can be very blurry.. thats why a community can be such a wonderful thing.

maybe a ''newbie'' section is indeed a neat idea

Brad Hurley

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Rick van den Berg wrote: you can study the entire manual and still dont have a clue what the ''best'' way is to do something specific.

That's an important point. The manual is more descriptive than prescriptive, which is necessarily the case for most manuals, but beginners often need advice on workflows rather than specific functions. That's why video tutorials can be so useful; they take you through a recommended process, and the best ones explain why you would want to do things one way in a given situation and another way in a different situation.

One of the best tutorial series I ever watched was the old Lightroom video tutorials offered through the Luminous Landscape website. Jeff Schewe (one of the developers of Lightroom) and the late photographer Michael Reichmann conducted the tutorials together, and while they sometimes pecked at each other like a couple of old hens they focused on walking you through the entire process of importing, organizing, processing, and printing images rather than going through the software menu by menu.

Another thing to keep in mind is that beginners often aren't familiar enough with the terminology to even know what search terms to put into the PDF to find what they're looking for in the manual. I remember responding to a couple of questions here about the auto-select button, which appears in the track header, but most new users aren't familiar with the term "track header" so wouldn't think of entering that in a search, and since there are no tooltips they didn't know what the auto-select button was called so they wouldn't think of entering "auto-select" in a search either. The only option then is to go to the section of the manual devoted to editing and scroll through all the pages to find where it describes the track controls.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Daz Wood

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Only read the first posts and what springs to mind is what is a forum for?

It's a lonely place stuck in front of a computer learning new skills but much better to get to talk to others who are happy to give their own experience and helping hand. Dumb questions will always disappear to the bottom of the forum and out of view if only people don't answer back with RT*M. Just because something may have been discussed before doesn't make it wrong to post and ask. This isn't an encyclopaedia it's a forum and a hangout for users new and old. Or we could have a private member's forum for the studio version and keep this for the free version of Davinci Resolve. :-(
Thank you

Daz
Davinci Resolve Studio Version
ASUS Strix GL702ZC 17" laptop. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Desktop CPU), 32GB DDR4, Storage 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB SSD, 4GB RX 580, Win10

Al Spaeth

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi Chris - Agree with many of your points. Resolve is a powerful set of tools and far more than just a non-linear video editor (NLE) which has rapidly evolved from a color only product which, due to cost, was only available to professional studios. Other NLE software has evolved over decades and become increasingly complex as personal computer power grew. User GUIs are overcrowded and often difficult to use and understand.
I started with linear tape editing and the first PC based NLEs using early DV.
I'm not a pro and for the first time have the benefit of advice from industry professionals like Marc who often have the patience to answer novice questions (Thanks Marc).
I believe Resolve is the best software available today but I am still learning and may never use or fully understand all it offers and have to accept that if I could afford a Stradivarius I will never become a great or even a mediocre musician - or even a decent colorist using Resolve.
Manual is essential to understand basic settings and as a reference. Terminology can be confusing as much of it has evolved with NLEs. Lots of good videos out there. I watch them then take a couple of clips and repeat step by step. It all falls into place with a bit of time and patience.

Joshua Morin

PostSun Mar 10, 2019 9:15 pm

You guys are so awesome. All hail you!
Resolve 18.1.4 Build 9
Apple M1 Max, 32.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070M, 8Gb
MacOs Monterey

Katta08

Please ensure that the system power profile is set to use t

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 5:54 pm