DaVinci crashed after prefs changed

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andrey Belov-Kovalevski

DaVinci crashed after prefs changed

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi ! I Have a little problem with DaVinci. Tryed to install free version. First start was sucsessfull. I made a simple clip from some pieces. Saved. After it i tryed to chande some preferenced - memory - From 4000mb to 8100 and Video setup from default to Metal. After restarting DaVinci crashed when when the intro appears. Tryed to uninstall - and reinstall -nothing. After second uninstalling i found files in Folder "Blackmagic design" in Application support. Tryed to delete it too, reinstall, but the same problem. How can i change Video or mamory preferences without starting an application or how to delete DaVinci fully?

My system is Mac Mini mid 2011 with i5 + 16gb and Fusion drive, video AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 МБ and OS X High Sierra.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci crashed after prefs changed

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm

That system is not adequate to run Resolve. Your 256MB of VRAM is not enough to do much of anything.

Assuming you are not using Apple App Store Resolve, and you want to get it back to the state it was in, try the following:

In /Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve, open the config.dat file in TextEdit and add this at the bottom of the file:

Local.GPU.Mode = OpenCL

Save the file and exit TextEdit.

Launch Resolve. It should launch in OpenCL mode. Immediately go to Resolve Preferences - Hardware Configuration and set the GPU Processing Mode to OpenCL and save the preferences and restart Resolve.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Franz Josef Recktenwald

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 am

I have a similar issue. But my MacPro should be sufficient for running Resolve.
I used Resolve Lite for many years without any serious issue.
Recently my MacPro got an upgrade. 4.1 became 5.1. I installed the OS on a new 525 GB SSD.
Now the properties are: 5.1, 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 2560 MB
I did the clean installation of the OS last week. Then I tried to install Davinci 14.2. When I did so it said that a CUDA driver was missing. I deinstallated Resolve, installed the latest CUDA driver, restarted the Mac and installed Resolve again. Whenever I try now to launch Resolve the start window pops up for less than a second and crashes.
What can I do ?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 6:35 pm

You can open Finder, go to /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve and run CaptureLogs, and put that file that creates on a file sharing service and provide a link to the file here.
Dwaine Maggart

Franz Josef Recktenwald

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 9:33 pm

Here is the link to WeTransfer
https://we.tl/AYm2J3lRxm

Thank you so far.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 1:27 am

Remove the GT120 card, or move the display from the GTX570 card to the GT120 card.

Now what happens?
Dwaine Maggart

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 1:54 am

I think its best to remove the GT120. It will slow down performance even if just used for UI.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Franz Josef Recktenwald

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 am

It worked.

Thanks again.

Return to DaVinci Resolve