Monitor color space options?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alexander Sutton-Hough

Monitor color space options?

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 pm

What is the best work flow for color grading with Dell Ultrasharp monitor with color space options sRGB, REC709, DCI-P3?

Graphics cards Nvidia GTX 970.

Footage will be from Mini Ursa 4.6k ProRes and RAW, RED Raw files, Sony MXF and GH5 files.

Final delivery web for majority of my work.

But also out of curiosity what would be the best options for broadcast and theatrical as well?

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Monitor color space options?

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Get BM card (don't use GUI preview), calibrate monitor to Rec.709 and done.
Stick to Rec.709 for all cases.

Jim Simon

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 5:05 pm

My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Cary Knoop

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 6:08 pm

amsh89es335 wrote:What is the best work flow for color grading with Dell Ultrasharp monitor with color space options sRGB, REC709, DCI-P3?

Footage will be from Mini Ursa 4.6k ProRes and RAW, RED Raw files, Sony MXF and GH5 files.

But also out of curiosity what would be the best options for broadcast and theatrical as well?

If you use the GPU instead of using a BM card I would recommend Rec709 in the monitor and using Rec709 as output. Note that Resolve uses 2.4 gamma as the default so if you monitor is calibrated for 2.2 you might want to change that to 2.2.

I would refrain from using sRGB, your blacks will be unsatisfactory due to the fact the transfer function in the shadows is different from Rec709 in Resolve.

If you edit video I would make sure your results will be future proof. Now you might only need web output using Rec709 but before you know it you or the client wants a HDR or a DCI version.
You can always render to a smaller gamut and less dynamic output range but the other way around is not possible.

For web destinations I would use Rec709 unless it is for HDR.

Marc Wielage

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 2:55 am

amsh89es335 wrote:What is the best work flow for color grading with Dell Ultrasharp monitor with color space options sRGB, REC709, DCI-P3?

I would avoid working with a computer display like this and try to get something a lot better. There have been dozens (maybe hundreds) of past conversations on affordable displays that will work for color grading.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

PeterMoretti

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 11:06 am

The thing that stands out to me is your video card may not be strong enough. I have a 970 and it has 4GB of RAM, it's fine for a lot of stuff but I imagine if threw the higher resolution .R3D's at it, it would go out of memory, esp. with significant effects added.

The other thing is that if you are using 10-bit GH5 files I belive you need the Studio version of Resolve.

The advice to go 709 is very sound. And then test how your output looks when exhibited. That simply means, if it's Vimeo, then upload the file and look at it using different OS's and browsers and see how it looks. You very well may have to adjust your grade to make video look right when viewed online. There is a whole host of reasons for this.

Using a Decklink card or similar device will enable you to avoid OS interference on your end, which is helpful. Calibrating your monitor to 709 is kind of a must. If you are serious, then research probes and calibration software. And if you are really serious, then get a professional to come in and calibrate your monitor. And then try matching that calibration with your own equipment. I'd much rather have a properly calibrated $700 monitor than a poorly calibrated $3,000 monitor. The truth is that most good IPS panels can be calibrated to 709. The more expensive panels will be more stable, have more connections and controls and higher bit depth.

Finally, you should pay attention to the color temperature of the light in the room that you are grading in. And ideally should have 18% grey walls behind your monitor.

Good luck.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Return to DaVinci Resolve