IPP2 and RED Dragon

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Chris Schoenmaker

IPP2 and RED Dragon

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:58 pm

Hi there, I recently updated my RED Dragon's firmware to Version: 6.3.106. Now, when I import footage from the mag into Resolve the video files display as a black screen. I can scrub through the video file but there is no image. The files play fine on RED Player on the same computer it is just Resolve where they do not display. Does anyone know why this is the case and is there a fix? Thanks in advance

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: IPP2 and RED Dragon

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 2:05 am

There are other posts on this and the RED forum that describe this issue and how to fix.
They relate to the OS you are using and we can guess its macOS as you didn't mention it.
Please have a search for the posts for the full detail.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

AndreeMarkefors

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 4:01 pm

Try setting your GPU mode to Metal—that solved this issue for me on a MacBook Pro and High Sierra.

But if that is the "solution", I hope there will be a more proper fix in an update.

Either that, or that Metal grows into its own and becomes the clear choice. As it is now, some things are faster in Metal and other are faster in OpenCL for me.

But I'd be totally on board for Metal becoming even faster so that we can forget about OpenCL on MacOS.
Current camera: Canon R5C
Mac Pro 2019: 12c | Dual W6800X Duo | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K + LG 55C8
MacBook Pro M3 Max 16" 16/40, 64GB

Chris Schoenmaker

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 5:32 am

Thanks Andree! It's now working thank you!

Yes, hopefully they update this fairly quickly, it's a bit fiddly at the moment.

Cheers

Return to DaVinci Resolve