Bad quality until cache

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jamie Dickinson

Bad quality until cache

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 5:49 pm

I was trying to check the quality of a credits roll I'm keying over some pictures and I think this is a pretty bad bug in my opinion.

I made a credits roll (white text with nice drop shadow, 4K) in After Effects and rendered it as a CineForm 12 bit with alpha Quicktime. I'll be delivering this as a separate asset to my client but I put it into Resolve over the end shots of the my film to check it. It looked dreadful. I thought this might be because I'm monitoring HD but have a 4K timeline. Any settings I changed to give a centre cut out 'actual pixel' still didn't improve the edges of the text.

Then I tried just looking at the UI, at 100% in Premiere Pro and in Resolve both just putting the credits roll on top of some video. The Premiere Pro UI like great, nice anti-aliased text with a drop shadow, the Resolve UI looked terrible. However, as soon as I forced Resolve to render a cache for the clip it now looks perfect and the HD out now looks perfect too!

Try it for yourself... Is it a bug?

(Resolve 14.1 Studio, Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, 32GB RAM, 6-core i7 6800K)

Return to DaVinci Resolve