Linux and DR

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ilya Marcus

Linux and DR

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi,

Is there a preferred Linux OS to get to a stable and smooth Resolve machine?
Also will 1080TI be supported?

Thanks!!!

Ilya

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Linux and DR

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 7:45 pm

The preferred method is to use our CentOS 7.3/Resolve 14.2 Build Image ISO, burn a DVD from that, and build a system drive from scratch using the DVD.

You can find the link to this ISO in the Linux Installation Instructions PDF file included with the Resolve 14.2 or 14.2 Studio download zip from the BMD web site Support - Fusion and DaVinci Resolve area.

If you don't want to use our build image, we recommend you use RHEL/CentOS 7.x.

If you don't want to follow our recommendation, there is a very long thread here on the forum of people discussing getting Resolve to work with other distro's:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=56878

And yes, the 1080Ti will work.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Ilya Marcus

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks Dwaine!

I was wondering if besides the fact that I will be able to run as many gpu's as I would like are there other benefits to go Linux?

Was planing on a Ubuntu build but I will test on a secondary machine first.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 5:26 am

There are no particular Resolve advantages to Linux over Windows in a smaller scale environment.

Linux is best suited for large scale environments with heavy scale hardware and storage.

A few disadvantages to the Resolve Linux platform at the moment are no H.264 render options, and the need for BMD hardware to get audio monitoring. Plus no Thunderbolt support.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Noel Sterrett

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:There are no particular Resolve advantages to Linux over Windows in a smaller scale environment.

Linux is best suited for large scale environments with heavy scale hardware and storage.

A few disadvantages to the Resolve Linux platform at the moment are no H.264 render options, and the need for BMD hardware to get audio monitoring. Plus no Thunderbolt support.

Also, no MIDI control for Fairlight.

Linux, however, is wonderful.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Return to DaVinci Resolve