Trouble Loading .drp Project on New Hard Drive

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sam Weston

Trouble Loading .drp Project on New Hard Drive

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm currently working on a project that requires collaboration with multiple people. We don't have to access the footage at the same time, but we do need to access it from different machines.

We have a weekly routine where I sync audio and video footage on my machine, then back up that footage to an external hard drive (along with .drp and .xml files created from Editor -> File -> Export Project). In theory, my editor would then load the .drp project on her machine to work with the synced footage.

The problem is, neither of us are able to open the .drp on the other hard drive, rendering moot all my previous work. We'd like to use Resolve for our entire workflow, but this roadblock is keeping us from making any progress.

The file hierarchy should be preserved, and I think I've done all the proper steps to export it, but every possible way I can think of to load this project file always fails. Any advice here would be really helpful, because right now we're dead in the water and we need to get started soon.

John Paines

Re: Trouble Loading .drp Project on New Hard Drive

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Are you sure you're using the same version of Resolve on both computers? Sounds like you're aren't....

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 pm

You're not located in one place where you could instead share the database?

Even if in separate locations you could with some effort setup a cloud hosted database server that you can share among all Resolves.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 4:01 am

I routinely share projects with a regular client, and all we do is make sure our hardware is (nearly) identical and we're using the exact same versions of Resolve and Desktop Video. Once we do that, everything is fine. I do generally export "Projects with Stills & LUTs," plus I also provide an XML (just in case), and I also will sometimes archive all stills with DRX grades in the event of absolute catastrophe.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 5:50 am

What type of systems are you using? Mac, Windows, Linux?

Is the system and OS and Resolve version of the system you are trying to Import the .drp to, the same as the system that created it?

A stupid question, but are you attempting to import the drp in the proper manner?

There are a few ways to do this:

Right click in an empty area of the Project Manager page and select Import, then point to the .drp file, and it should import. Once it's imported, you need to load it.

Or, use the File menu - Import Project menu and point to the .drp file. Then you'll need to open the Project Manager window to Load the project you just imported.

If you are doing one of those methods, where is it failing?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve