update to Sierra; disk database becomes postgreSQL?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RobertTorrance

update to Sierra; disk database becomes postgreSQL?

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 11:57 pm

Hi all,

This is weird; After finishing a project in 12.5 I updated to 14.0 without problem. I decided to update to Sierra 10.12.6 and now my home page lists my disk database as a postgreSQL database with the message "cannot connect to database. I know I used a disk database. Why does it now say it is a postgreSQL database?

Any thoughts?

Robert Torrance
Mac Pro 5.1

RobertTorrance

Re: update to Sierra; disk database becomes postgreSQL?

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 am

Anyone?

Robert Torrance

Chip.Murphy

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 am

Post screenshots and logs.

Did you install postgres when you did the 14 update?

Sam Steti

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi Robert,
I'm still on ElCap and not particularly in a hurry to upgrade, but I've read several times here on the forum and in the read me of the Resolve 14 installer that you must follow a special timing to upgrade (like the DB first then the OS or the contrary)...
You'll find that here around
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 6:34 pm

You can just revert to using Disk Database in Project Manager.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

RobertTorrance

PostThu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 pm

I guess what happens if you don't update postgres first is that your disk database thinks it is a postgres database. I was less careful because I had just finished a film. I have manually installed postgres 9.5 and now I get "incorrect username/password" instead of "cannot connect to database". I am going to try to edit the config file to change the password and see if that works, otherwise I'll just start fresh with a new database. After looking at the DCP I wanted to adjust one shot. I can just use the master for that.

Thanks all.

Robert Torrance

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 2:39 am

You can't manually update to PostgreSQL 9.5.

Well, you can, but all your existing Resolve PostgreSQL databases will be gone.

Too late for you, but in case others are looking, you need to use the PostgreSQL update tools that are in the Resolve installers from 12.5.3 and up. And you need to use them BEFORE updating from El Cap to Sierra or High Sierra.

From the ReadMe notes in the 14.2 Mac installer:

Upgrading your PostgreSQL database server on Mac

Until DaVinci Resolve 12.5.2, the Mac installer used to ship with PostgreSQL version 8.4.2. Starting from macOS Sierra 10.12, PostgreSQL version 8.4 is no longer supported. If you intend to upgrade to the latest OS, you will need to upgrade your PostgreSQL database server to version 9.5.4 prior to upgrading macOS. Once your PostgreSQL installation has been upgraded and your data has been ported, you can then proceed with your macOS upgrade.

We have provided apps to simplify upgrading your PostgreSQL version on your Mac. The apps along with instructions can be found in the /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/Upgrade PostgreSQL folder.

Starting from DaVinci Resolve 12.5.3, new installations will include PostgreSQL version 9.5.4.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

RobertTorrance

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 3:37 am

So the error code "invalid password" is not correctable? I've learned my lesson. Perhaps the info in the release notes should be in red type. I started with Resolve version 9 and I'm up to 14. I got lazy reading I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Return to DaVinci Resolve