[Bug] Disabled Nested Clip From Premiere Enabled Upon Import

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TyBailey

[Bug] Disabled Nested Clip From Premiere Enabled Upon Import

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm working in a Premiere Pro timeline with multiple nested clips. I then exported an FCPXML from Premiere to import into Davinci Resolve 14.2

I'm happy to report that it imports the nested clips very well into the compound clips as they're called in Davinci! This never worked so well for me in the past, but now is shaping up for my current project!

HOWEVER, there are small segments on my nested clips in Premiere that I have disabled in order to play the nested clip that is underneath it in the edit. I would have expected that the clips stay disabled when importing into Davinci Resolve, but this is not the case.

Every single nested clip (now compound clips, in Resolve) remains enabled and I have to manually go through and disable the clips all over again. A fix to this would be to duplicate my timeline in Premiere and just delete those nested segments that I have disabled so that they don't even import into Resolve, but I believe that information should communicate from both programs.

I just ran a test import timeline with both individual clips and nested clips, disabling everything on the timeline before exporting my FCPXML. When I imported it into Davinci Resolve, all of the individual standalone clips remained disabled, while the compound clips were enabled. All of them.

Perhaps there is a setting that I'm missing? Otherwise I would think this to be a bug of some sorts. Or maybe it is intentional, though I don't see why.

Seth Goldin

Re: [Bug] Disabled Nested Clip From Premiere Enabled Upon Im

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 3:46 am

Why do you need the disabled clips? Why not just delete them before the import into Resolve?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
https://www.sethgoldin.com

Tero Ahlfors

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:08 am

Clean up your edit before bringing it in. Not all features go through to different programs.

Dermot Shane

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 8:50 pm

+1

i get a timeline like that in, there's three options...
1 - send it back to get cleaned up
2 - hire an assist to clean up the garbage and bill production for their time + my overhead
3 - ask the producer to send the project to someone/anyone else

TyBailey

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Yes, I've already decided now that I would just delete the nested sequences that are disabled before importing. However, this seems only to be a workaround for something that ideally should translate. Like I mentioned in my OP, it never even used to import as compound clips, they would just be blank so this is a massive improvement. Though it would only make sense for it to communicate that the compound clip was disabled when exporting as an FCPXML just like it does for the standalone clips on the timeline.

Or maybe there is a reason that it doesn't.

Thank you for the replies!

Return to DaVinci Resolve