fairlight channel swapping

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Glenn Sakatch

fairlight channel swapping

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 11:28 pm

I know there has been a lot of discussion about how to setup the delivery page for surround sound and multichannel outputs. My confusion is simply on playback workflow.

In both Avid and Resolve, if I playback a 6 channel surround timeline, using blackmagic hardware, I have to swap the Center and LFE channels to hear proper playback. In Avid this is easy enough to do in the audio output tab, and it was as well in Resolve 12.*. In 14, I was trying to do it last week, and couldn't figure out where to do it. I ended up physically swapping the channels on my timeline, which is not ideal, as forgetting to put them back to normal would be bad.

I saw the whole patching tab in fairlight, but couldn't figure out how to swap the two channels for monitoring. I know there has been some discussion about monitoring being different from output inside 14, so I probably just need clarification as to how to set this up properly from the start.

Thanks for any help.
(I think it is time for a fairlight tab in these forums)

Glenn

Marc Wielage

Re: fairlight channel swapping

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 11:56 pm

Here's a link to a couple of free tutorials on Fairlight that just appeared in the last week or so:

These are the only really practical, down-to-earth tutorials I've seen on Fairlight thus far, and they're very well-done. (You will need to click the "Watch on Vimeo" button in order to see the first one.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 6:28 am

How have you assigned the Speaker Setup in:
Resolve Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O > Speaker Setup?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Reynaud Venter

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 am

Marc Wielage wrote:Here's a link to a couple of free tutorials on Fairlight that just appeared in the last week or so
A few odd workflow choices in those two videos, such as using the Patch Input/Output window for assigning Auxes, and completely ignoring the more efficient and flexible Auxiliaries window for each channel, and double routing to Main Busses and SubMix Busses.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Glenn Sakatch

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks guys...ill check those videos out.
I knew there was a monitor setting somewhere...was just having trouble finding it.

Mattias Murhagen

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:, down-to-earth tutorials I've seen on Fairlight thus far, and they're very well-done. (You will need to click the "Watch on Vimeo" button in order to see the first one.

I have to disagree. The first one plays so fast and loose with terminology I think it'll probably confuse many people new to pro-post-audio in the long run.

Come to think of it, I actually dislike them quite a bit.

Jean Claude

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi,

It's been a while since I have not used it but there is a VST that can combine the audio channels in any way you want:
MChannelMatrix from MeldaProduction:
https://www.meldaproduction.com/MChannelMatrix

Is an element of MFreeFXBundle but only $ 49
(just to adapt the main output..if you reduce the number of main channels)

swap_channels.jpg

7_1_to_5_1.jpg

7_1_to_stereo.jpg

Just a small advantage: there is no cumulation of Db in an assigned channel (at least reasonably) :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

PeterMoretti

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 7:03 pm

Mattias Murhagen wrote:
Marc Wielage wrote:, down-to-earth tutorials I've seen on Fairlight thus far, and they're very well-done. (You will need to click the "Watch on Vimeo" button in order to see the first one.

I have to disagree. The first one plays so fast and loose with terminology I think it'll probably confuse many people new to pro-post-audio in the long run.

Come to think of it, I actually dislike them quite a bit.
Fair enough, but it was very nice for Marc to post and I'm sure they will help many people. As even if they aren't optimal, they are more aptimal than anything else out there on Farilight
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

Mattias Murhagen

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 7:47 pm

Yes, it was nice of him. I agree.

Return to DaVinci Resolve