how to manage large projects

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jacek Brzezowski

how to manage large projects

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi,

I have collections of video clips taken a long period of time (20+ days) and would like to edit it all into day by day clips but would prefer to have it all in one timeline so I can move/cut stuff and retain the visual style in all the clips. Can anyone recommend some article/tutorial about managing complex projects in Resolve (free version)? Is placing this in one timeline a good idea? Can I split one timeline into several? I experienced quite a nasty problem loosing a lot of my work and not noticing it because partly of how big the project was. So I wonder what would be the proper way.

Marc Wielage

Re: how to manage large projects

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 12:47 am

I don't think it's good having a timeline that's hours and hours long.

You can maintain looks and color and so on just by grabbing reference stills every so often and then comparing the current image to the still of the same shot from an hour (or 2 hours or 3 hours) before.

If you haven't cut the material down for actual editing, then I would just apply some generic look and call it a day, and just edit based on content. I wouldn't worry about color until the project is totally cut, finalized, and approved.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve