DaVinci Resolve and Matroska and MTS and Prores

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robert Sauer-Ernst

DaVinci Resolve and Matroska and MTS and Prores

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 8:14 pm

Hello forum,

after installing DVR successfully I wanted to open a Matroska mkv, and then testwise an MTS (sony old hobby cam). It did not show any preview and the movie neither. What did I do wrong?

And: would it be better to try cut edit 80GB ProRes Blackmagic Web File or convert this first to lets say mpeg4? This 80GB (ca. 60 min.) would tak about 4 hours to be converted to mpeg4 by free software VCSD which I just was sort of urged to use since all I could see (s. above) in DVR was "black".

Thanks in advance for a reply,

Robert Sauer-Ernst from Berlin

Robert Sauer-Ernst

Re: DaVinci Resolve and Matroska and MTS and Prores

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Sorry, but now, trying again, I can open both, ProRes 80GB file and sony MTS file.

Trying to open the from ProRes encoded mpeg4File (with VSDC - s. above) return wrong sound (loud and destroyed). Using ProRes 80GB worked with accurate sound. Still do not know if working with this huge file is reasonable. But maybe faster because there is not so much encoding to be done for the processor while reading?

Thanks, Rob.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 1:46 am

Resolve converts all source files to RGB per pixel uncompressed 32 bit float data.

If you have ProRes, don’t throw away quality by making MPEG4, just use the closest format to uncompressed as your system allows.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Cary Knoop

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 2:36 am

NLE's typically do not support the Matroska (mkv) container.

However it is easy to change the container to mp4 or move without re-encoding the video or audio, in ffmpeg you could use something like this:

ffmpeg -i in.mkv -c:v copy -c:a copy out.mp4

It is a little bit more complicated if the video has multiple audio streams, but see the ffmpeg documentation to cover those cases.

https://www.ffmpeg.org/

You could a similar operation with mts, which is really a transport steam and not really designed for editing.

Robert Sauer-Ernst

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Thanks [USER=252]@Peter Chamberlain[/USER]

Just to understand: any idea, why the sound in the converted mpeg4-file (playable in VLC etc.) is crushed in DVR?

I understand that I should do the editing in the highest resolution possible.

Thanks again, Robert

Return to DaVinci Resolve