How to use grabbed stills for edit?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Josef Pöllmann

How to use grabbed stills for edit?

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 am

Hi,

in the edit-system I previously used I had an icon which allowed me to grab, automatically save and re-link to a Bin a still from any player - source or timeline. This still I then could handle like any other still or video.

To do the same in Resolve I need to go to the Deliver-page, export a tif-image from a timeline, go back to the media-page and link it to a Bin.

This is kind of odd, since on the Color-page we have the "grab still" function.

I haven't found a possibility to use the grabbed and saved stills from the Color-page in the Edit-page. Did I just not find that possibility or is it not possible to use grabbed stills this way?

We intensively use stills from Videos eg. in our titles or if we have to explain displayed informations from lectures we report about.

Thanks for help

Josef
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Studio on a HP Z 420, 128 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 2x4 + 1x2 TB Media, RTX4060TI 16GB, 551.61 Studio, W10 for Workstations 22H2 - www.muehldorf-tv.de

Sam Steti

Re: How to use grabbed stills for edit?

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Not sure I really understood your request, but the still grabbed within the Color page is intended to store the grade (even if you can export it as a file)...
If what you need is to keep individual frames, use the subclip function, and/or the freeze frame function
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Josef Pöllmann

Re: How to use grabbed stills for edit?

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Thank you Sam, Subclips are exactly what I was looking for.

It simply is confusing for someone rather new to DR - like me - that things giving the same result work different in the Edit and the Color-page. Especially after 15 years of using one function doing the same throughout a whole application.

Therefore my proposal to Blackmagicdesign to unify this on all pages.

Anyway - thanks for clarifying

Josef
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.5 Studio on a HP Z 420, 128 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, 2x4 + 1x2 TB Media, RTX4060TI 16GB, 551.61 Studio, W10 for Workstations 22H2 - www.muehldorf-tv.de

Return to DaVinci Resolve