Resolve 14.2 is almost a great editing tool. Still…

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Alexandre Sadowsky

Resolve 14.2 is almost a great editing tool. Still…

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 1:54 am

Hi all,

I think the Edit part of Resolve is now getting fine. But, from my point of view, there are still 2 major issues that will avoid many editors to use it :

1. Exporting to Protool doesn't work! It is not possible to add handles to the audio files, as there is no option available. How come ?!
Fairlight might interest mixers someday but for the moment Protools is everywhere. I edited for the first time a short interview in Resolve recently. Everything worked perfectly but we got stucked when we had to export for Protools. We ended manually expanding the audio clips… as there are no handle to audio clips!

2. For people working on programs destined to television, there is still a major issue with Resolve title tools than can't do clean interlaced texts or roll when the timeline is interlaced. Titles or lower thirds get blocky and rolls are choppy. Wich means that we still have to use Photoshop or After Effects to create nice interlaced texts/rolls. Adios finishing in Resolve when in 50i…

These problems are not news. They have been underlined several times in this forum but no solution yet…
Maybe in version 15 ?
Resolve 18.6.2 - Ventura 13.4 - Mac Studio M2 Ultra - 192 Go Ram - Decklink MiniMonitor 4K - BM Mini Panel

PieroLass

Re: Resolve 14.2 is almost a great editing tool. Still…

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 9:01 am

export to protools is the biggest problem to use davinci as an editing tool!!!!!
export for protools works only to protools 12(with mxf files, no link to the original files!!!!) and it doesn't bring anymetadata from sincronised clips, so each sound editor goes mad and averybody is upset.
Please Black magic solve this problem!!!! it's very needed for editors.

Anish Prithviraj

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 am

Alexandre Sadowsky wrote:1. Exporting to Protool doesn't work! It is not possible to add handles to the audio files, as there is no option available. How come ?!

Hi Alexandre,

We added the ability to render handles in the ProTools export in Resolve 14.2.
DaVinci Resolve Program Manager

Michael Tiemann

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 10:48 am

Anish Prithviraj wrote:
Alexandre Sadowsky wrote:1. Exporting to Protool doesn't work! It is not possible to add handles to the audio files, as there is no option available. How come ?!

Hi Alexandre,

Will check it out!!!
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Alexandre Sadowsky

PostWed Jan 24, 2018 10:53 am

Anish Prithviraj wrote:

Hi Alexandre,

Hi Anish,

Thanks for your answer but I only saw this option in 14.2 in the video tab, not in the audio. I'll check. But does it work for for audio clips not related to any video files (soundtrack or sound design for instance) ?
Resolve 18.6.2 - Ventura 13.4 - Mac Studio M2 Ultra - 192 Go Ram - Decklink MiniMonitor 4K - BM Mini Panel

Seaborn

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 8:38 pm

Still not working proprely, i send numerous email to BM never get any reply on the protool export bug.

the edit work great but each time we are at the finishing stage, the export to protool give us a lot of trouble

Some random out of sync,
some audio clip are slipped
we need to manually check and re adjust each audio clip one by one,
i got a couple of producer that ask me to edit in premiere and finish color in resolve just to be sure the export to protool will work without bug.

Please BM give us a solution
Seaborn studio
https://www.studioseaborn.com

Seaborn

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 9:17 pm

i juste finish re sync a project 15minutes aaf from resolve 15.1.2 to protools HD2018

this time was the worst, for each clip that i have use the auto sync in resolve, clip have been slipped and random cut that was'nt in the edit are in!

The stereo track work, the handle work but it's not a trustable solution, i can figure out that BM want you to finish the project in fairlight but for bigger project, working with bigger audio post facility protool will remain a solid option.
Seaborn studio

Tom Early

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 10:46 pm

Seaborn wrote:Still not working proprely, i send numerous email to BM never get any reply on the protool export bug.

the edit work great but each time we are at the finishing stage, the export to protool give us a lot of trouble

Some random out of sync,
some audio clip are slipped
we need to manually check and re adjust each audio clip one by one,
i got a couple of producer that ask me to edit in premiere and finish color in resolve just to be sure the export to protool will work without bug.

Please BM give us a solution

Could you not send an xml to Premiere and use it just to export to ProTools in the meantime, instead of doing the full edit there?
MBP2021 M1 Max 64GB, macOS 14.4, Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Output: UltraStudio 4K Mini, Desktop Video 12.7

Seaborn

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 2:18 pm

Thank for reply, i'have done that several time,
trying roundtripping xml aaf
via premiere
via fcp
via avid

they all give different result,
premiere would not use the good channel when you have used the autosync audio in resolve and will only bring the original camera sound... ( i will never use the auto sync again)

some of the stereo and multichannel files will not pass correctly into the premiere
still need extra work to get it clean and perfectly sync to the original edit, in some case the sync drift is just some quater frame sometime it's 5-6-12 frames!
Attachments
3.png
3.png (468.17 KiB) Viewed 965 times
2.png
2.png (506.39 KiB) Viewed 965 times
1.png
1.png (347.79 KiB) Viewed 965 times
Seaborn studio

Seaborn

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 3:40 pm

Still not solved!
anyone??
Seaborn studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve