"Show offline reference" doesn't render

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Seppia

"Show offline reference" doesn't render

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 9:56 am

Hello

Using the latest Da Vinci Resolve version to date (14.2.1.007), I have an in-progress-conformation timeline, with an Offline Reference Clip attached, no problems there : it displays properly in the viewer and follows correctly my timeline.

As there are still a few missing / offline clips and gaps in the project, I need to deliver a temporary file with the Offline Reference Clip when black gaps on timeline.

So I've ticked the "Show offline reference for timeline gaps" box (in the "User" > "Editing" DaVinci Resolve Preferences panel). So far, no problems : when playing the timeline on a gap, the viewer does display the Offline Reference Clip on the black gap.
It even works in the "Deliver" Workspace when playing back the timeline.

The problem is when rendering : the gap in the timeline is rendered as black, and not as the Offline Reference Clip.

What am I missing ?
Is there an option to specifically use the Offline Reference Clip on black gaps when rendering and delivering files (even if it's already set and working on playback) ?

Thanks
Guillaume Bringard
Technical director,
Seppia.eu

Mel Matsuoka

Re: "Show offline reference" doesn't render

PostSat Jul 04, 2020 9:38 am

I have the same issue as well. It'd be nice if the Deliver page would honor this setting, or at least offer a checkbox to disable/enable it in the Render Queue.
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 7:39 am

Note th o.p.'s question was from 2018 and involved Resolve 14, which was (relatively) a long time ago.

The only workaround I can think of would be to manually drop another copy of the reference clip on a lower track, then manually disable the missing clips. If you do that, then the reference movie will pop up whenever a clip is missing. I would suggest doing this on a copy of your current timeline so that nothing is permanently altered.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Mel Matsuoka

PostSun Jul 05, 2020 8:58 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:Note th o.p.'s question was from 2018 and involved Resolve 14, which was (relatively) a long time ago.

The only workaround I can think of would be to manually drop another copy of the reference clip on a lower track, then manually disable the missing clips. If you do that, then the reference movie will pop up whenever a clip is missing. I would suggest doing this on a copy of your current timeline so that nothing is permanently altered.

That's exactly what I do. Although it's kind of a pain to manually find all the gaps when you have a 2 hour timeline.

I'm sure that a lot of people would prefer the default behavior of NOT rendering the reference during timeline gaps, but at least an equal amount of other (such as myself) would prefer the reference to render.

So in a way, this is another reason why I'd like to see some sort of feature in the Deliver page to give you control over what actually renders (vs. what you see in the timeline playback before rendering), as I posted this previous request for:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=101394
Resolve Studio 18.0.2 / Decklink Mini Monitor / 14" 2021 Macbook Pro Max (macOS 12.5.1, M1 Max) / 32GB RAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve