Problems rendering in 14 with glitches.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Richard Connew

Problems rendering in 14 with glitches.

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 11:15 am

Anyone else getting this issue with a Windows 10 setup and Cineform/DNxHD 1080P files? Time line is one 2 min plus clip. One 3D LUT applied and basic corrections to make it viewable. Rendering out at all MAX. On 12.5 STUDIO no problem at all but on 14.3 STUDIO its as if something is throttling the processor back and the footage from the 14.3 has glitches in it even if I drop to 1 frame. Same glitches what ever frame rate used. 12.5 has no glitches. See attached screen dump of both renders. Same setup exactly on both renders. Windows 10 version 1709. I have two K6000’s and tried it with two in just to see and it made no difference at all. MB is an X99 chipset. The processor sometimes shows as a XEON in some software even though it isn't (same die as the XEON'S at that time or something of that nature) which may be part of the issue. XEON's can easily be installed in an X99 chipset. This issue has been a problem all the way from the beginning of 14 I just keep hoping it will get fixed in the next version but so far no luck. Screen dump of both renders below in task manager. Note also the frame rates the two are running at for exactly the same job. Thanks Image
NFD Productions

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Problems rendering in 14 with glitches.

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 4:13 am

What type of files are you rendering?

What is the nature of the glitches?

Have you tried Resolve 14.3?

Do you have current NVIDIA drivers installed?

Does having Playback - Performance Mode On or Off have any significant effect?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Richard Connew

PostTue Feb 06, 2018 8:06 am

It only seems to happen with cineform avi files either going to or from. Running 14.3 which is slightly better. Drivers are Nvidia's latest enterprise drivers for quadro 390.77. Performance on or off doesn't seem to make any difference.

Cineform rendering to cineform avi YUV 10bit - renders at about 30-40% with everything at max and with glitches as below! In 12.5 this runs at 90 - 100% with no glitches.

Cineform rendering to DNxHD 220X - renders at about 85-90% plus with everything at max! In 12.5 nearer 100% with no glitches.

Originally the files from the camera are DNxHD 220X then because I use a stereoscopic workflow using Cineform 3D muxed files they are transcoded to Cineform FS1 10bit. Because there is a bug you already know about combining Cineform avi files I'm fixing the editing and the stereoscopic bits in Premiere and Cineform STUDIO PRO and the splitting back down into left and right cineform to colour in resolve. I'm rendering from and to using SSD disks with pretty much nothing else on them. These stills are taken from a time line with quite a few corrections but it is only HD so shouldn't really be that taxing. I did notice in the Cineform rendering to DNxHD 220X that a few frames were media offline as well again not a problem in 12.5 with the same setup exactly.
Appreciate you taking the time to look at this.
Thanks
Richard
NFD Productions

Richard Connew

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 8:03 am

Tried a complete clean windows install and made resolve the first application I installed and still the same problem so I would have to conclude there is a problem with cineform avi files.
NFD Productions

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 4:07 am

I've tried to reproduce this issue without success.

Can you link to the simplest Resolve project drp you can make that will reliably recreate the issue?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Richard Connew

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks will sort one out shortly for you.
NFD Productions

Chip.Murphy

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 3:15 pm

I've head similar issues with Cineform on Windows. My fix was to go to an older NVIDIA driver.

Richard Connew

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Ok did a few more tests. What I'm having to do is to edit and fix stereoscopic 3D in other apps while the cineform bug with 3D is fixed you know about. What that means is I'm exporting the whole scene uncoloured then cutting the scene in Resolve back into separate clips to colour them. I just put a 3D lut on the first node - second a contrast - then another lut but at 50% on the third and it renders out fine no problems "uncut" BUT when I cut back to original clips not changing the nodes at all I then get the problem. I can if you wish put the scene on a server for you to download and use that clip with if you wish?
Thanks
Richard

Chip, tried lots of different older drivers but because I'm running 1709 windows 10 only the newer ones will work with the open GL I need for the stereoscopic 3D I use so I'm stuck, having said that none of the older drivers appeared to fix it either. Thanks
NFD Productions

Richard Connew

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 12:46 pm

Ok after loads of testing I just wondered if it might be something to do with the Cineform presets that are in my older version of Premiere 5.5 (need to run this older software to accommodate Cineform STUDIO PRO which is what I use for integrated open GL stereoscopic 3D inside the Premiere time line etc). Originally the files from the camera are 220X which I convert to Cineform FS1 YUV 222. Then mux together into a Cineform self contained 3D file to edit in Premiere and adjust the 3D convergence using the Cineform plugin. I'm then rendering out a Left and Right to colour in Resolve as Cineform FS1 YUV 222. That's where I get glitches on render out no matter how fast or slow I render. So just as an experiment I rendered out from the Premiere timeline as FS1 RGB 444. Obviously a bit dark now on the resolve time line compared to YUV so adjusted for that and rendered out. Now no glitches! Conclusion the issue is with YUV Cineform files perhaps? Or possibly the Cineform FS1 setting?
Appreciate some feedback when anyone has time please.
Thanks Richard
NFD Productions

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Feb 21, 2018 1:11 pm

In past I found many problems (absurd) with avi container and cineform3d files under windows.
Do you have tried to export mov container from resolve?
Resolve 14 have its cf library, if you export with mov,if you export avi I think grab library from cf studio professional and probably this is the reason that give you problem.
Have you thought to use resolve to build only luts, and load them in cf files by firstlight? Or you need mask and more? That mean you can save an export and come back to great active metadata workflow that go pro destroyed when they closed pro and premium developing.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Richard Connew

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 3:21 pm

Unfortunately I do need masks etc. It does seem to be an issue with how resolve handles Cineform avi files on a windows system as friends with MAC's and Cineform software don't have the problem. Promised admin the project file etc so I've put that plus the clip and the lut I've used in a zipped folder here. Doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason in this at all. Some times it works especially first try, other times glitches every where. Could be Cineform studio professional with the Cineform files but it all worked fine in 12.5. So that says something in 14.3 is different in some way in how it renders.
Link is here anyone else is welcome to try as well. http://www.crooked-billet.com/downloads/TEST%20CINEFORM%20PROJECT.zip
Thanks Guys appreciated.
Richard
NFD Productions

carlomacchiavello

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:34 pm

Cineform in 14.3 never use original cineform library but use only internal library, with advance and disadvantage
Last two years was spent under macOS and I not used win workflow. Do you use firstlight workflow or cineform files are only a di without active metadata?

Richard Connew

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Not sure how I avoid that?

It seems I have (v8.6.3) Cineform codec on my Prem CS5.5 (still need to use it to work with the Cineform 3D open GL stereoscopic plug-ins)
That seems to be the same one used in Resolve 12.5.6. which I think is why that runs fine on export etc.
I do have Miraizon DNxHD and ProRes Codecs (bought them separately to be able to view camera DNxHD files in windows and convert etc) which show up under the Quicktime export in Prem CS5.5 so perhaps if I render out Quick Time 10bit HDxHD they will then work in Resolve better than the Cineform files? BLACKMAGIC 444 shows up under AVI render options so that's another possibility perhaps?

There is a newer version (v9.0.5) of the 64-bit Cineform codec which is not installed on my system that I can find. Came out after Cineform STUDIO PRO became end of life. May be able to get it with what ever the latest GOPRO file software is perhaps.

I wonder if this is the Problem does Resolve 14.3 use version (v9.0.5) Cineform codec ?
NFD Productions

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Feb 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Newer version of cf codec are avaible when install go pro studio free, but I don’t know if support old stereo and metadata feature. You may ask directly to David Newman, the creator of cineform

Richard Connew

PostWed Feb 28, 2018 4:49 pm

Tried installing the new software but it doesn't show up under Premiere so that's no good. Wasted a lot of time with Resolve 14 messing about so for now I'm going back to 12.5.6 where everything just works! In particular the 3D which I need at the moment. I'll give it another go with 14.4 but for now I have stuff to get done. Even a clean windows install with just 14.3 didn't solve the problem although it was better so I have to conclude either it is a bug I'm unable to isolate or its something in my work flow causing the issue and hopefully when Cineform files are fixed to work in 3D then it may well solve my other issues.
NFD Productions

Richard Connew

PostTue Apr 10, 2018 9:46 am

Ok solution finally found!!! Disable Hyper Threading on 14 and 15 and all works fine. 12.5 and earlier are all fine with it enabled. Seems there are still various issues with hyper threading in Intel CPU's but they don't affect everything so the average user is unlikely to ever notice. Took me to keep testing enabling and disabling items in the bios to finally find the culprit. Now that I've found it there are plenty of issues you can google with hyper threading issues. Also seems to be a fair bit around performance is actually better without hyper threading.
NFD Productions

Return to DaVinci Resolve