Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Andratica

  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:49 pm
  • Real Name: Andrea Plamondon

Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 10:58 pm

I have been searching the internet for days, but am still confused whether or not the 2016 and or the 2017 15" Macbook pros can efficiently handle editing DNG cinema files, or not. If anyone has any better suggestions I would be most appreciative. I am used to working with apple systems but am open to using something new like the Dell XPS 15 2017. Any thoughts or comparisons?
Offline

Howard Roll

  • Posts: 277
  • Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:50 am

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 1:57 am

DNGs from a Pocket or BMCC maybe, 4.6K raw, no way Jose. For one Full Res clip I get get about 18FPS from 4.6k raw files on a maxed out 2016 MBP. Lowering to quarter res helps a little but not much. You can get away with it using optimized media but for native editing I would say it's a categorical no.
Offline
User avatar

Jack Fairley

  • Posts: 610
  • Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:58 pm

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 3:39 am

Howard Roll wrote:DNGs from a Pocket or BMCC maybe, 4.6K raw, no way Jose. For one Full Res clip I get get about 18FPS from 4.6k raw files on a maxed out 2016 MBP. Lowering to quarter res helps a little but not much. You can get away with it using optimized media but for native editing I would say it's a categorical no.

+1, if you want a real RAW workflow it's not happening on a laptop IMO.
Offline
User avatar

Rakesh Malik

  • Posts: 1897
  • Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:01 am
  • Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 4:23 am

Jack Fairley wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:DNGs from a Pocket or BMCC maybe, 4.6K raw, no way Jose. For one Full Res clip I get get about 18FPS from 4.6k raw files on a maxed out 2016 MBP. Lowering to quarter res helps a little but not much. You can get away with it using optimized media but for native editing I would say it's a categorical no.

+1, if you want a real RAW workflow it's not happening on a laptop IMO.
I'm using a laptop for raw editing and color, and it's working pretty well. It's a pretty nice machine (HP Spectre x360, 15", 8th gen), supplemented with an eGPU.

A discrete GPU is critical, of course.

Still, you can get a more poweful system for less in a desktop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
HP Spectre x360 Kaby Lake-R w/ 1080Ti eGPU in RazerCore
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 2387
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostFri Feb 09, 2018 10:26 pm

A current MBP with an eGPU should work, but you'll need very fast storage too.
Offline

PeterMoretti

  • Posts: 912
  • Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:12 am

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 5:28 am

You will have to lower the debayer quality, timeline res and if necessary use Prores or DNx optimized media at 1/2 or 1/4 res.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.
Offline

Rene Gilvert

  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:
Jack Fairley wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:DNGs from a Pocket or BMCC maybe, 4.6K raw, no way Jose. For one Full Res clip I get get about 18FPS from 4.6k raw files on a maxed out 2016 MBP. Lowering to quarter res helps a little but not much. You can get away with it using optimized media but for native editing I would say it's a categorical no.

+1, if you want a real RAW workflow it's not happening on a laptop IMO.
I'm using a laptop for raw editing and color, and it's working pretty well. It's a pretty nice machine (HP Spectre x360, 15", 8th gen), supplemented with an eGPU.

A discrete GPU is critical, of course.

Still, you can get a more poweful system for less in a desktop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


I am, likewise, working on a ful spec MacBook and it works really well... and am working with RAW lossless footage from an URSA Mini 4.6 .... part of my workflow is the generate optimised media and to use the smart caching....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rene Gilvert

MacBook Pro 15" (16Gb / 4Gb GPU Radeon Pro 460), two LG 5K screens
Offline

Glenn Sakatch

  • Posts: 236
  • Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 6:11 pm

If you are going through the effort and time to create optimized media...then the idea of editing with raw isn't really there. You might not want to call it a transcode...but that's all it really is. The time it takes to relink to raw at the end is minor. I would just transcode and edit. Spending a bunch of extra money on an expensive laptop to avoid transcodes with the hope that your box will work properly is unnecessary.
Offline
User avatar

ShazDeJav

  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm
  • Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 10:57 pm

MSI GT83VR 7RF-206 

That should do it as a laptop.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
Shaz De Jav e.K.
DOP & Colourist

System: Custom Build
2x Intel Xeon E5-2640v4 @2.4GHz
64GB ECC RAM
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti
Offline

PixelMan

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:56 pm
  • Real Name: Chip Daniels

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 11:20 pm

To echo what others have said I can tell you from tests with 4K, 5K, 6K R3D footage, a maxed out 2017 MBP doesn't come close to having enough horsepower to playback even unedited RAW / CDNG footage at those kinds of resolutions. If you have an equivalent PC laptop and add an eGPU with a 1080 Ti card, or if you have a Vega 56 Card and eGPU on a Mac, you've got a chance but only if you drop the resolution quite a bit.

Really though, you need a workstation. 10+ Cores, a lot of RAM, M.2 drives, and 2GPUs would be ideal from what I've seen so far.
Offline

Armen Amirkh

  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 am

Andratica wrote:am open to using something new like the Dell XPS 15 2017. Any thoughts or comparisons?


I think that 1070 card will do 24-30 fps correction possible, without NR of course
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 2387
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Well, the initial question as shown in the title was about editing, not grading, right?

Why nor transcode (either full transcode, which I prefer, or optimized media) and doing the editing on any current mid-level laptop? Then move the stuff to a serious workstation and finish there!
Offline

Kye Leslie

  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:18 am

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 4:17 am

The answer is a proxy workflow.
I have a base MacBook Pro 13" laptop, and it edits beautifully with 720p Prores 422 Proxy proxy files.

Editing needs full-speed playback but not colour accuracy, so proxies are fine.
Colouring and grading need full colour accuracy but not full-speed playback, so originals are fine.

The only challenge comes in when you want to adjust the edit with effects, which is when you need to use a render cache, and if that's not workable just export the critical bits of the timeline and iterate.
Offline

Tero Ahlfors

  • Posts: 320
  • Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 am

Kye Leslie wrote:Colouring and grading need full colour accuracy but not full-speed playback


Nnnoope. Grading needs realtime playback and a beefy enough computer to run the project at the required resolution. This is why Resolve and other grading software require the horsepower. You can't grade to a still you need to see how it looks when it's playing back.

Also try grading with a client if you need to take cache breaks everytime you do something.
Offline

Uli Plank

  • Posts: 2387
  • Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:48 am

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 11:14 am

That's why you need a laptop plus a beefy workstation for anything over HD.
Offline

Kye Leslie

  • Posts: 56
  • Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:18 am

Re: Best laptop for editing raw in Davinci Resolve14?

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 12:47 am

Tero Ahlfors wrote:
Kye Leslie wrote:Colouring and grading need full colour accuracy but not full-speed playback


Nnnoope. Grading needs realtime playback and a beefy enough computer to run the project at the required resolution. This is why Resolve and other grading software require the horsepower. You can't grade to a still you need to see how it looks when it's playing back.

Also try grading with a client if you need to take cache breaks everytime you do something.


I stand corrected!
Apologies.

Return to DaVinci Resolve

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Carsten Sellberg, Juha Takabe, Micha Clazing and 21 guests