Resolve 14 crashing when opening media

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

onekanoobie

Resolve 14 crashing when opening media

PostSun Feb 11, 2018 8:59 pm

Hello
I am hoping that someone can help me out with this issue or at least put my mind at ease. I just built a AMD based system running a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 along with a Vega 64 GPU. I have been previously used Resolve on my laptop with a Nvidia 750M and not had any issues. Every time I launch Resolve I can get to the media tab but when I try to open any media at all, the program will crash. Most of the time the monitors turn off then back on and Resolve is open, but the screen is completely white. I am able to kill the process, but in order to get Resolve to start again I have to reboot the PC. I have the log files but nothing jumps out at me. I love Resolve and was really looking forward to using it on my new PC.

I suspect that I have a driver issue but dont know what it might be. The PC works great in all my games the only place I have an issue is in Resolve. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20180211-105938.zip
(107.68 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

onekanoobie

Re: Resolve 14 crashing when opening media

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Update-
It seems to definitely be a driver issue. AMD released updated Adrenaline Drivers on 2/11 (18.2.2). I updated and while the same thing is happening, I now get a message from Resolve that it has crashed. I was not getting that before.

Does anyone know of a good driver version that works with Resolve? Thanks.

onekanoobie

PostFri Feb 23, 2018 2:37 am

ok, i am really at a loss here. I tried Resolve 12 and it also crashes. I cannot imagine that I am the only one using a AMD Vega card and Ryzen CPU. I am by no means a professional, is there possibly a setting I am leaving on that could be causing it? Could the video files themselves be an issue? They are the same ones that open on my laptop with a GForce 750m. Thoughts?

road1warrior

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 7:42 pm

have the same problem on win 10 crashed on slash screen I tried all fixes then I thought it was a system issue so I ran a property compatability issue it is found in advanced section It found a issue then it said fix
and it did from then on no issue fixed so simple to over look hope it works for you

onekanoobie

PostSat Mar 03, 2018 3:35 am

Thank you for the reply, but I am not sure I understand. Where is the "property compatibility" found? I checked under "Preferences->Advanced" in Resolve but all it is is a large command window. I searched that term and found a reference to UI scaling but was not sure that is what you meant. I tried it but it did not change anything. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

onekanoobie

PostTue Mar 27, 2018 9:33 pm

Well, I am not sure at this point I will ever figure out why Resolve will not work. I have tried using older drivers, a fresh install of Windows 10, up dating chipset drivers, tried Resolve v12 as well as v14 and I still get the same issue. Every time I try to open a media file, Resolve locks up. When I check the Sys logs it tells me that the amd driver crashed and restarted. The resolve logs seem to indicate an issue with the video card, sometimes is says the memory is full, other times though, there is nothing that shows why it crashed.

At this point I am hoping that someone can confirm that my system should be able to run Resolve. I am running:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600
16 GB memory
Asus ROG B350 MB
AMD RX Vega 64 - Sapphire (running recent Adrenalin 18.2.1)

my media files are on a network share (i dont think this is the issue since I tried with local files as well with the same result)

The PC is fine in all other aspects. I don't experience the crashing in anything else.

If this system just wont run Resolve, then fine, at least I can give up on trying to find a solution. If someone knows if I need a specific driver please let me know. I am at my wits end. Thank you

Return to DaVinci Resolve