Resolve 14.3 – where did the scopes go?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

KarenSavage

Resolve 14.3 – where did the scopes go?

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 4:28 am

I finished a job and upgraded to DaVinci resolve 14.3.

I went to |Workspace|Video Scopes|on/2-up|

Nothing. No pop-up window with scopes, that I can drag around the screen as needed.

Luckily, I stumbled upon how to re-enable the old one-at-a-time scope in the lower-right box. So I'm not completely S.O.L.

I'm trying to grade another project (scans of 8mm home movies). Part of the process is finding a white balance for the next group of shots shot under similar conditions.

I'd really like to see the pop-up-window video scopes with the choice of 1-up, 2-up, or 4-up, return to Davinci Resolve.

Sincerely;

=Karen
Karen J. Savage

iMacPro1,1, 10-Core, 64 GB/2TB, Radeon Pro Vega 64X

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 14.3 – where did the scopes go?

PostMon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 am

In the scopes palette in the color page u can select to see the scopes as a pop up window and then key frames or clip info is shown bottom RHS.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

KarenSavage

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:In the scopes palette in the color page u can select to see the scopes as a pop up window and then key frames or clip info is shown bottom RHS.

I was on the color page.
I went to the [Workspace] dropdown menu.
I selected [Video Scopes ►], which is below [Gallery] and above [Data Burn-In] on the [Workspace] dropdown menu.
I selected [On ⇧⌘W] from the sidecar menu to [Video Scopes ►].
The pop-up window for the scopes didn't appear.
In addition, the scope that shares the space in the Lower Right-Hand corner with the [Keyframe] and the [ⓘ] (info) displays disappeared. It returned when I deselcted [On ⇧⌘W] from the [Video Scopes ►] sidecar menu.

On top of that, the menu items below [On ⇧⌘W] in the [Video Scopes ►] sidecar menu – [1-up], [2-up], and [4-up] – are now ghosted.

I'm running Resolve Version 14.3.0.014 on:

Model Identifier: iMac14,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Memory: 32 GB
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M

I have no additional display on this computer, although I've contemplated adding a display for the [Video Scopes ►] pop-up window.

I don't excuse the pedantry in my above reply, as the reply to my initial query only reiterated what I'd already done to try to turn on the [Video Scopes ►] in v14.3.0.014. That reply was the tech equivalent of 'mansplaining', without offering anything useful or which actually addressed the problem I came to this forum to try to resolve (no pun intended.)

I do hope that with the next revision of Resolve, the pop-up video scopes returns...
Karen J. Savage

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 2:50 am

It's working here for me.

Can you try the UI reset in the workspace menu, then select the scopes again?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Peter Cave

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 6:48 am

If you are using a single monitor the scopes could be "off screen" as they are designed to be able to display a very large scopes window on a second monitor. Resetting the user interface will usually reset the position to the primary (or single monitor) screen. In a dual screen workspace setup, the scopes are not un-dockable.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

David Banks

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 6:49 am

I had the same problem on Windows 10 Pro, and yes UI reset as Peter suggests worked for me.

Dave.

Willian Aleman

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 2:21 pm

David Banks wrote:I had the same problem on Windows 10 Pro, and yes UI reset as Peter suggests worked for me.

Dave.

Yes, Peter's suggestion worked for me too.
Willian Aleman
New York City
USA

Resolve Studio
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)
MacOS: 10.15.7 (19H2)
processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7
Memory: 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

KarenSavage

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Third time's a charm.

I'd tried doing the UI reset before my initial post, as I suspected the Scopes window had migrated to the inaccessible off-screen dimension. Nothing.

I know, I didn't mention it in the initial or subsequent post. It didn't work the first time, except I got back the dual monitors in the edit window (I find the dual-monitor layout a distraction when I'm assembling and grading film scans.)

After all the posts about " Reset the UI Layout" I gave it another go. I reset, then enabled the scopes.

Nothing.

I reset again, then turned the scopes off and then back on again.

Voilá.

But I'm still scratching my head as to why previous attempts to reset the UI layout didn't achieve this effect sooner.

SUGGESTION FORPROGRAM TWEAK: Provide a mechanism (other than the global [Reset UI Layout]) to move the scopes window to main screen dead-center on single-monitor set-ups.

Thank you for being insistent that [Reset UI Layout] be given another go...

=Karen
Karen J. Savage

Return to DaVinci Resolve