Davinci Resolve on Win7 - Install issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bryan Beatty

Davinci Resolve on Win7 - Install issues

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 am

I just purchased the studio version of Davinci Resolve 14, and it refuses to install-- would appreciate any advice. Here's my situation:

I've got a Windows 7 computer. A while back, I downloaded and installed the free version of Davinci Resolve 14 so I could try it out. Liked it, decided to purchase the full studio version, which I just did; it arrived today, on a 16GB SD card.

When I inserted the card and tried to run the installer, it refused-- said that there's a newer version of Davinci Resolve 14 already present, and that I have to uninstall that first.

Okay, so I go to the Control Panel and look for it. The only thing I see anywhere that calls itself "Blackmagic" or "Davinci" anything is an item, "Davinci Resolve Panels". So I choose to uninstall that. And it does-- after the process finishes, I see that the item is now gone from the installed programs list.

So... I go back to the SD card and try to run the installer again... and it still gives me that same error message about a newer version being installed, and I need to uninstall it. Just on the off chance that maybe there's a leftover daemon running somewhere, or something like that, I try restarting the computer. Still no dice.

So... now what do I do? Can't install my purchased Davinci Resolve 14 Studio, because it thinks the product's already installed. Can't uninstall it, because Windows thinks it's not installed. So I'm totally wedged, with this brand-new product I purchased that refuses to install itself... anyone have any idea what I should do?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

g2m.agent

Re: Davinci Resolve on Win7 - Install issues

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 5:19 am

i don't have studio version. but i know that Davinci Resolve 14.3 ONLY support Windows 10. you can try a low version, 14.2.

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 7:41 am

Before continuing you should consider upgrading your OS as resolve is not supported on W7 so you will not get much help. Also check the other requirements carefully as otherwise your experiences will be less then optimal.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Bryan Beatty

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Well, I was running the free version just fine on Win7. I'm not a "power user", I'm not a professional videographer, I just want something that will let me do some basic editing of my videos. I was upgrading to the paid version because the free version wouldn't handle 4K video.

Unfortunately, I'm basically tied to Win7. I positively loathe every Windows version after that, and in any case I've long since learned the hard lesson to never, ever try to upgrade an OS in-place-- moving to Win10 would mean getting an entirely new computer, which is not something I'm looking to do at this time.

Every other piece of software I have, including new ones, work just fine on Win7. Wish I'd known that Blackmagic Design had decided to write off Win7 before I shelled out $299 on a product that, apparently, is useless to me. Heck, even now I'm sitting here looking at the packaging for the software and nowhere on it is even a hint of compatibility requirements, or "warning: does not run on major popular versions of Windows still in wide use". All it says is "Windows, Mac, and Linux".

I'd be fine with working on 14.2, if 14.3 decides to blow off Win7. But... how can I install? It keeps thinking I have a "newer version installed", even though Windows says it's not there. Does anyone have any advice on how to actually uninstall the free version from Win7?

Bryan Beatty

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 4:37 pm

Update: With some tinkering, was able to get it to think it's uninstalled. I just did this:

- Renamed the "Blackmagic Design" directory under Program Files to something else
- Renamed the "Blackmagic Design" key in the Registry (under HKEY_CURRENT_USER) to something else
- Renamed the "Blackmagic Design" key in the Registry (under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) to something else

...and that appears to have done the trick. I now have 14.0 of Resolve installed and running. Am encountering a different technical error now related to actually using the software, but that's a matter for a different post.

Thanks to the folks who offered advice, I appreciate it.

John Paines

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Win7 runs R14.3 as well as it runs any other 14.x version of Resolve.

Bryan Beatty

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 pm

John Paines wrote:Win7 runs R14.3 as well as it runs any other 14.x version of Resolve.

Oh, thanks! Great to know, that's really helpful.

Glenn Venghaus

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 pm

Run != supported.
But feel free to use it that way. Problem is when things dont work as you expect you cant realy complain or claim for support. And its not new but in system requirements since a loooooooong looooong time.
But lots of functions probably work fine.
Beatstep & APC-40 Resolve Edition Controllers https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com
Test Rig : 2xXeon (24c) | UNRAID KVM OSX VM's | 128GB | 5700XT | 40Gbe
Prod Rig : i9-7940X (14c) | OSX 10.15 | 64GB | 2xVega 56 | 40Gbe | Tb3 | V:Eizo | A:5.1RME

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 11:11 pm

g2m.agent wrote:i don't have studio version. but i know that Davinci Resolve 14.3 ONLY support Windows 10. you can try a low version, 14.2.

The latest Studio version runs just fine here on Win7 - no problem at all.
"Not supported" doesn't mean, it doesn't run. BM just don't do any tests on 7.

IMHO Win 8 is the sweetspot for now, 10 comes with much to many problems, and doesn't have any benefits over 8.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 6:06 am

We recommend w10 for many reasons, not the least is we only test on w10 and call on some features that are only in w10.

Use older versions at your own risk and please note, we generally don't review bug reports or logs on old OS's.

In short, we highly recommend using w10 over other versions.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Thomas Dove

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 7:05 pm

and call on some features that are only in w10.

Peter,

Can you comment on what parts of Resolve 'call on features that are only in Windows 10' ?

Thanks
Main Resolve: Linux Centos 7, Intel i7 16GB RAM, nVidia 1070Ti, Decklink Extreme 12G

Return to DaVinci Resolve