workable subclips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

robinwillis

workable subclips

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 12:24 pm

HI there... I just got a nice note back from support regarding working on the subclips issue in the a future release. They said post the request here as well.

Here's the issue. Subclips behave like masterclips in that you cannot access material before or after the cut. For narrative pieces this is probably fine but for docs my process is in logging I first mark and then make subclips of material that might be viable. Then I add the subclips to appropriate bins and then the fun begins. I regularly need to access on either side of a subclip. If it's not available it's a big problem.

Final Cut and Premiere can do this. as I believe can Avid.

This should be a simple problem to solve.

Thank you Black magic... Resolve is looking very, very nice.
https://t.me/pump_upp

Jim Simon

Re: workable subclips

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm

It would be a nice addition. Often some extra material is needed for transitions.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Spencer_Meyer

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 6:09 pm

If you add the complete parent clip to your project, and use duration markers to specify ranges of favorite content, you effectively have what you're looking for.
DaVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

John Paines

PostTue Feb 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Spencer_Meyer wrote:If you add the complete parent clip to your project, and use duration markers to specify ranges of favorite content, you effectively have what you're looking for.

Not really. With duration markers, there are no discrete clips, to put in bins. You'd have to rely on smart bins and metadata, to organize the material, which isn't always necessary or desirable.

robinwillis

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 6:32 pm

John Paines wrote:
Spencer_Meyer wrote:If you add the complete parent clip to your project, and use duration markers to specify ranges of favorite content, you effectively have what you're looking for.

Not really. With duration markers, there are no discrete clips, to put in bins. You'd have to rely on smart bins and metadata, to organize the material, which isn't always necessary or desirable.

Yep... we need malleable subclips! We need malleable subclips!
https://t.me/pump_upp

George Deierling

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 7:40 am

a not so bad work-around for extending subclips:
select master clip in a bin
right-click on subclip in timeline
Conform lock with media pool clip

Ernesto Sanchez

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 12:12 am

+1 for extending subclips and being able to easily rename them.

wjasonspencer

PostWed May 23, 2018 9:32 pm

+1 for malleable subclips! (And yes, Avid Media Composer does this VERY WELL and has been doing it for a long time.) Can't effectively edit or log material without good subclips for sure. Discovered this ugly Resolve limitation when I found I couldn't make a simple dissolve at the head/tail of subclips in my timeline.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 24, 2018 2:09 am

I guess you have all not looked at v15.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

John Paines

PostThu May 24, 2018 2:36 pm

As Peter notes, this missing feature came in with v15 (all but the last post here date to 2017). Right click a subclip in either Browser or timeline, and select "edit subclip", which allows removal of subclip limits altogether, among other options.

What would be nice (15.3?) is a project or user preference which would make "remove limits" a default. Failing that, maybe a dialogue at the time of subclip creation or keyboard shortcut, to avoid right-clicking and mouse navigation, multiplied many times over. Never satisfied....

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri May 25, 2018 2:07 am

John Paines wrote:As Peter notes, this missing feature came in with v15 (all but the last post here date to 2017). Right click a subclip in either Browser or timeline, and select "edit subclip", which allows removal of subclip limits altogether, among other options.

What would be nice (15.3?) is a project or user preference which would make "remove limits" a default. Failing that, maybe a dialogue at the time of subclip creation or keyboard shortcut, to avoid right-clicking and mouse navigation, multiplied many times over. Never satisfied....

I think our concern on the remove limits for all means you might end up with a lot more media to manage and most wont be used.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve