Third party OFX

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ian Stark

Third party OFX

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi, I hope I'm not duplicating a question that's already been asked. I did search but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I am looking to move away from Magix Vegas (after 17 years, 14 versions and three owners).

I have a collection of OFX plugins from NewBlueFX and Boris. Am I able to use these in the free version of Resolve?

I wanted to try out Resolve on a relatively simple client project before buying the Studio version and it would be nice to be able to use the tools I'm familiar with. Are there any limitations? And are there any third party OFX plugins that don't play nicely with Resolve?

Thanks for any advice and apologies again if my search wasn't thorough enough!

Alex Uzan

Re: Third party OFX

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 5:22 pm

It's difficult to answer, since Boris plugins have changed a lot, and there are many plugins from Newblue.

What I can say :
- Last version of Boris FX and NewblueFX work without issue in Resolve.
- Resolve has already a lot of smart plugins, that you should try before buying anything else.
- I don't know how newblueFX works on Vegas, but in others apps like Edius, Première, and Resolve, those plugins are terrible. You can get far better results (and more optimized) with Saphire or Hitfilm.

You won't be disapointed with Resolve :)

Ian Stark

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks Alex,

I've had great results from many NewBlueFX plugins in Vegas (and Premiere), but I can't speak for other hosts. I've used them for many years now and, like every provider of large numbers of effects, not all of them have been great! But for the most part I have been quite happy with them. I'm not one for overdoing special effects and I tend to use the more utilitarian plugins more than the fancy ones.

Really, my question is whether they (and Boris, and any other third party OFX plugins) will run specifically in the *free* version of Resolve. For example, one of the NewBlue effects that I often use is Rack Focus, which gives a very usable tilt-shift effect (OK, that's one of the fancy ones I use!). I understand that this effect is available in the Studio version of Resolve, but not the free version. It looks like there are a number of other effects that also only feature in the Studio version. Hence the original question.

I have no doubt that if I decide Resolve is right for my workflow (and at this point I can't see why it wouldn't be) I will quickly upgrade to the Studio version. But for the first few weeks I would like to make sure.

Another issue that I've just considered is my presets - I have many, many OFX plugin presets that I have created for specific clients or projects. It would be nice to know that if I moved to Resolve I would be able to reuse those presets rather than have to recreate them.

Cheers!

Sam Steti

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 4:23 pm

Hey,
First, since you didn't tell us about the host computer, I would first advise not to use an appstore version of Resolve, whose limitations due to sandboxing include OFX among others...
Then just try. What else at the end of the day ? A sort of logic may teach you that OFXs which mimic studio only default tools may require the studio version to work, but it wouldn't be relevant to point every one specifically. So put them all in the right OFX folder and try.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Ian Stark

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Thanks Sam. Sorry, I am so used to being in the Vegas world (which of course is Windows only) that I forgot to mention that I am on a Windows platform. Specs are Win 10, i7 980 at 3.33GHz, 24GB RAM, temporarily using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 (replaced a faulty GTX1070).

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by an appstore version. I've just downloaded the free version from the DaVinci website. Are you saying that the limitations of that version include no OFX support?

I haven't installed the software yet (waiting for a clear few days to work with it).

Sam Steti

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 11:03 am

Ian sorry, I didn't know Vegas was Win only, so I could't infer your system... And thus the appstore reference was about the "Mac Appstore" where mac users may download apps (where the Resolve version is limited because of the sandbox restriction [no cuda/nvidia, not all ofx]).

Now, yes you can install ofx on the free version of Resolve, good piece of news isn't it ? ;)

Ian Stark

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 am

Hey Sam, not a problem! I should have mentioned it anyway :-)

That's great news about OFX in the free version. Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to have a real good look through Resolve. If it does suit my workflow I will go for the Studio version and if the stock plugins work well I would certainly use them over third party plugins.

Cheers!

Sam Steti

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 pm

FYI, if any problem occurs, Resolve and Fusion warns you at launch anyway, for you to be aware of what won't work.
For example, I remember that Neat Video denoiser didn't work on the free version (well, the default Resolve denoiser is a studio version feature, anyone can predict BMDs choice), then a message occurred at every launch. You'll be quickly warned about what's ok or not...

Ian Stark

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Good to know, Sam, thank you :-)

Hector Berrebi

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Boris OFX plugins work on Vegas as well as Resolve, you should be OK there
NewBlue seem to be fully multi-host. I Only worked with Titler and it works well.

As a side tip...
You can also get the free Ignite Express pack,
And the relatively inexpensive Red Giant Universe pack (which I warmly recommend)
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Alex Uzan

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Hector Berrebi wrote:Boris OFX plugins work on Vegas as well as Resolve, you should be OK there
NewBlue seem to be fully multi-host. I Only worked with Titler and it works well.

As a side tip...
You can also get the free Ignite Express pack,
And the relatively inexpensive Red Giant Universe pack (which I warmly recommend)

Are you sure the last version works in Resolve 14.3 ?

Hector Berrebi

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Alex Uzan wrote:Are you sure the last version works in Resolve 14.3 ?

Hi Alex.

Latest version of what?
Newblue Titler Pro 6 on 14.3 works..

Alex Uzan

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Hector Berrebi wrote:

Hi Alex.

Latest version of what?

Hector :mrgreen:

The sentence I put in bold, Red Giant Universe.

Hector Berrebi

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Alex Uzan wrote:
Hector Berrebi wrote:

Hi Alex.

Latest version of what?

Hector :mrgreen:

The sentence I put in bold, Red Giant Universe.

lol.. sorry.. I should have noticed.

Yes. Universe works, though some plugins (Holomatrix 2 for example) seem to crash Resolve as soon as applied.

I think you can test with a trial version ...

Jean Claude

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Just a small service:
Can someone who has OFX BCC 10.x or BCC 11.x test a Load or Save Preset?
Can someone who has NewBlue Essentials test a Load or Save Preset?

Please specify the OS, the version of OFX.

Thank you in advance. :)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Jean Claude

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 6:54 pm

OK: everything is fine: false alarm ... :mrgreen:
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Leslie Wand

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 12:19 am

hi ian,

well i moved from vegas after magix started messing around. (i was 'ushere' on the vegas board). i wasn't too happy with vegas ever since ver 10, though worked reasonably happily with 13.... however, having used/tried nearly every other nle over the years i couldn't resist trying resolve, and apart from the learning curve, haven't looked back. sure, it's nowhere as quick or intuitive as vegas, but so far it's proved rock solid and more than competent with everything i've thrown at it or tried - which, when you see what it's used for on a daily basis, is mere childs play.
i'm using bcc 11 and sapphire without problem, though to be honest i think resolves own fx, etc., are quite comprehensive.

i still fire up vegas for a quick rough cut if necessary (since trimming clip heads and tails is so much faster), but after a couple of years now i'm ever more confident in completing whole projects within resolve.

i also really like and appreciate the help offered by the pro's here, (and make no mistake, they are serious pro's) and that bm own staff regularly chime in.

One other thing i think bodes well is that resolve is constantly developing, and doing so whilst maintaining 'industry standards', such as ofx, vst, acceptance.

so welcome to your new home ian ;-
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Hector Berrebi

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 am

Leslie Wand wrote:i still fire up vegas for a quick rough cut if necessary (since trimming clip heads and tails is so much faster), but after a couple of years now i'm ever more confident in completing whole projects within resolve.

Hey Leslie..

The shortcut isn't the friendliest but definitely can be changed Shift - Ctrl(Cmd) - [ or ]
Called Ripple Start/End to Playhead in the Trim menu.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 12:51 am

Ian Stark wrote:Thanks Sam. Sorry, I am so used to being in the Vegas world (which of course is Windows only) that I forgot to mention that I am on a Windows platform. Specs are Win 10, i7 980 at 3.33GHz, 24GB RAM, temporarily using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 (replaced a faulty GTX1070).

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by an appstore version. I've just downloaded the free version from the DaVinci website. Are you saying that the limitations of that version include no OFX support?

I haven't installed the software yet (waiting for a clear few days to work with it).

The 580 will only work in OpenCL mode since Resolve 14 requires CUDA 3.0 capability and higher. When you get a replacement to your faulty 1070 you should get much better performance.

Also, the Studio version has much better performance with compressed codec like h264 as it can use hardware acceleration offered by NVIDIA GPUs with more than 3GB of VRAM, and even without that the interactive editing performance with h264 is much better in the Studio version.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Leslie Wand

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 1:26 am

"Hector Berrebi" The shortcut isn't the friendliest but definitely can be changed Shift - Ctrl(Cmd) - [ or ] Called Ripple Start/End to Playhead in the Trim menu.

hi hector - thanks for that. i've used the shortcuts you mentioned, and as effective as they are, they're still not quite as convenient as those in vegas. however, that might well change with more use ;-)
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Dermot Shane

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 5:56 am

Jean Claude wrote:Just a small service:
Can someone who has OFX BCC 10.x or BCC 11.x test a Load or Save Preset?
Can someone who has NewBlue Essentials test a Load or Save Preset?

Please specify the OS, the version of OFX.

Thank you in advance. :)

Jean Claude;
BCC10 - Film damage / W10pro /v14.3 = saves custom presets & re-loads on a diffrent clip
NewBlue - stablizer / W10pro /v14.3 = saves custom presets & re-loads on a diffrent clip

Jean Claude

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 10:44 am

Hello Dermot,

Thank you very much.
I had a problem with BCC OFX and NewBlue. Can not load / save a preset.

I made an export of the Database
I uninstalled
BCC
NewBlue
and Davinci Resolve

Delete the directory (small clean install) and launch a CCLeaner. Then reboot the PC and reinstall and everything is fine.
Thank you. :)

Steve Alexander

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Pretty sure there are limitations in the free version when it comes to OFX and BCC unless BMD has lifted them in a recent release of 14.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 | Fusion Studio 18.6.6 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 7:17 am

Sam Steti wrote:FYI, if any problem occurs, Resolve and Fusion warns you at launch anyway, for you to be aware of what won't work.
For example, I remember that Neat Video denoiser didn't work on the free version (well, the default Resolve denoiser is a studio version feature, anyone can predict BMDs choice), then a message occurred at every launch. You'll be quickly warned about what's ok or not...
No, neatVideo Ofx work fine in both version, I use it. Last year when I had a problem with a bug of Studio version, from.a suggest of Bmd support, I switched to free version and used and exported from.free version and denoise my shooting with NeatVideo Ofx.

Inviato dal mio E6653 utilizzando Tapatalk

James Spatz

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 3:26 pm

I have yet to be able to use a plugin whose visual effect is to display outside the alpha, e.g. drop shadow, glow etc. Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Sam Steti

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 9:57 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:
Sam Steti wrote:FYI, if any problem occurs, Resolve and Fusion warns you at launch anyway, for you to be aware of what won't work.
No, neatVideo Ofx work fine in both version, I use it. Last year when I had a problem with a bug of Studio version, from.a suggest of Bmd support, I switched to free version and used and exported from.free version and denoise my shooting with NeatVideo Ofx.
Yep ok, thank you for correcting it as I indeed made a mistake : actually Neat blocked the launch of my Fusion 8 Studio at never-ending launch screen; I had to blacklist the loading of Neat in Fusion (where I don't need it anyway) to fix it.
Sorry

Hector Berrebi

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 pm

James Spatz wrote:I have yet to be able to use a plugin whose visual effect is to display outside the alpha, e.g. drop shadow, glow etc. Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Hey James

I twisted my head around it several times. its definitely missing and can get extremely frustrating when you need it...

Played a bit with these node trees to some level of success... But sadly not a full, straightforward solution.

Any other insight anyone might have about this would be very appreciated.

This structure is the simplest way I got Resolve to apply glow/blur/rays and such on an alpha generated inside Resolve (in this case a green screen).
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.34.08.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.34.08.png (798.29 KiB) Viewed 7217 times

I apply (copy paste) same parameters to nodes 2 & 3 then tweak if needed. if I turn off node 3 you get Resolve's normal behavior with a blur on alpha. turning off node 2 (or not putting an effect there) is ok
It saved me when IO needed some RSMB applied on a key to restore motion blur.

Also tried more complex structures using Ext Mattes to gain more control... on some effects it seams to work better, but didn't dive deep enough (layer mixer on darken, darker or multiply), and It felt like doing too much
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.16.13.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.16.13.png (136.75 KiB) Viewed 7217 times

You can try this one for drop shadow emulation on graphics that come with alpha. This is a V2 out of 3 layers - V1 Background, this on V2 and V3 is the logo again
It involves blurring the key input of node 2 as well as offsetting it using node sizing and dropping its opacity, node 3 is only there for added blur as key input blur only goes up to 1...
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.20.55.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 18.20.55.png (236.48 KiB) Viewed 7217 times

Jean Claude

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Sam Steti wrote:
carlomacchiavello wrote:
Yep ok, thank you for correcting it as I indeed made a mistake : actually Neat blocked the launch of my Fusion 8 Studio at never-ending launch screen; I had to blacklist the loading of Neat in Fusion (where I don't need it anyway) to fix it.
Sorry

Salut Sam,

NeatVideo 4.7.0 works very well with Fusion Studio 9.0.2. Why do you stay in V8?

Sam Steti

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:06 pm

In the first place because I had read too much problems with v9, then only because I constantly had projects running on, now only because I'm ok... But I will one of these days.
Anyway I don't use Neat anymore (sometimes in a facility, not @home), I'm ok with Resolve Studio default tool.

Jean Claude

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:53 pm

James Spatz wrote:I have yet to be able to use a plugin whose visual effect is to display outside the alpha, e.g. drop shadow, glow etc. Has anyone figured out how to do this?

Hey,

(Hector is OK)

There is so much combination ... Another variant:
A clip (frog) track 2 and a solid blue color => compound clip track 1
A powerwindows => an outside => Alpha output to a serial node and a 'Lens Flare + Difference' connected to the Alpha output

OFX_ALPHA.jpg

Hope this help

Marc Wielage

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 1:10 am

Hector Berrebi wrote:You can try this one for drop shadow emulation on graphics that come with alpha. This is a V2 out of 3 layers - V1 Background, this on V2 and V3 is the logo again. It involves blurring the key input of node 2 as well as offsetting it using node sizing and dropping its opacity, node 3 is only there for added blur as key input blur only goes up to 1...

That's a very clever idea, Hector -- much appreciated.

I have had some success in doing a drop-shadow on non-alpha graphics in the edit page -- V3 in screen mode, V2 in subtract mode, V1 background plate -- and this can work to a point. Ideally, you'd use alpha-enabled graphics and then just turn one black and shift it accordingly (or even blur it for a blurred shadow).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hector Berrebi

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:45 am

Marc Wielage wrote:That's a very clever idea, Hector -- much appreciated.

Picked it up along the way.. Happy to share.

We all deserve better alpha/compositing behavior in our nodes. Improv' isn't always fun

John Epton

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Does Boris Red 5.5.3 work properly with Resolve 14.3 Free version?
When I drop it on a stack of clips I only see one Track in the Boris Red interface.
Also the track that I do see has a blue haze on it.
Having said that it appears to work fine as long as you only need to process one track.
Does anyone else have a similar behaviour?

Newbe to Resolve
Resolve Studio 18 Fusion Studio 18 Desktop Video 12.1
Apple Mac M1 Studio
64 GB Memory
10 Cores
32c GPU
Disc 1 TB
BMD Speed Editor

jaysmith

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 10:07 pm

I had neat video work flawlessly on the free version until I was able to upgrade, never saw any warnings. To be honest I like resolve built in denoise a bit better for your average noisy shot. Neat is only called in for the heavy surgery.

Return to DaVinci Resolve