How to move projects between Resolve Databases?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Dekle

How to move projects between Resolve Databases?

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 4:39 pm

I have three Resolve Databases on my computer and want to move projects from one database to a different database.

I've looked for a way to do that and just can't see how to do it.
Anyone have a way to easily reorganize where projects are stored?

Many thanks for any help!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: How to move projects between Resolve Databases?

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 3:01 am

If you are DaVinci Resolve 14.3 you can simply select and copy the projects in the project manager. Details in the manual.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

James Dekle

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Wow, thanks for pointing me to the right place! I tried everything I could think of to find a link in the help but this new feature made moving and reorganizing a snap. Many thanks to those of you gurus who help us dummies out... it's what makes this program amazing indeed.
thanks again!

Todd Groves

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 5:50 pm

14.3??

I don't remember getting an email about an update. Unless it gets buried in my Promotions section of GMail.

Dang.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 7:53 am

We don’t send announcement emails but you can follow BMD on Facebook or Twitter for news of updates.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 9:42 am

James Dekle wrote:I have three Resolve Databases on my computer and want to move projects from one database to a different database. I've looked for a way to do that and just can't see how to do it. Anyone have a way to easily reorganize where projects are stored?

It is a little tricky to do, but it has to be done from within the Project Manager itself, not in the operating system.

Go to the specific database within the Project Manager and select it, so that you see all the individual projects contained. Highlight the projects you want and control-C (command-C on Mac OSX) to copy them.

Go over to the new database and select that. Wait for the projects to populate the window, then control-V (command-V) to paste them. Now, you can go back to the other database and delete the unnecessary duplicate. One complication is there is no cut & paste available from the contextual right-click menu, and you also cannot just drag a project over to another database haphazardly. It has to be deliberately pasted from within that database.

I think the manual could be a little more clear on this, but the above has worked for me. I took a project database with about 300 different projects and reduced it to 5 different databases, one for each year for the past 5 years. Now, it's a lot easier to find stuff that way.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

ArtBell

Moving entire database from one mac to another?

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 7:56 pm

We are moving to a new Mac Mini/Black Magic eGPU Pro setup and need to move roughly 70 projects in the old MacBook Pro database to the new Mac mini. Is there a way to do this bulk in one move? (thanks i could not fund this specific point in here)
I play hockey & surf. This is my side gig.

Igor Riđanović

PostFri Jan 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Disk Database or PostreSQL? Same version of Resolve?
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Return to DaVinci Resolve