Micro Panel feature request - Fix for missing “Add node"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

roger.magnusson

Micro Panel feature request - Fix for missing “Add node"

PostWed Feb 14, 2018 9:23 pm

The micro panel is nearly perfect for my needs, but the inability to add nodes is very annoying. However, It should be pretty easy to fix! Here's my suggestion/feature request.

Make the Stop button a modifier key when playback is already stopped.

Press and hold the Stop button, then press Next Node to add a new node after the current one. Press Next Node again to cycle through the different node types. Stop + Previous Node adds a new node before the current node.

Micro Panel.jpg
Micro Panel.jpg (136.43 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

What do you think? The Stop button works well as a modifier key since you would hold it with your thumb and press the node buttons with your index or middle finger.

Julian van Mil

Re: Micro Panel feature request - Fix for missing “Add node"

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 12:53 am

+1 - this would be huge
Studio Feather
www.studiofeather.com

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 am

In the meantime, there are great keyboard shortcuts for this and other actions not currently on the panel.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

roger.magnusson

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 11:35 am

Thank you for the reply Peter. Yes I'm using a lot of keyboard shortcuts as well, but this change would mean that the most used commands for primary corrections could be performed entirely on the panel.

Fingers crossed something like it makes it into the product eventually!

Johannes Hoffmann

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Great idea. The suggestion of Stop as modifier key opens the door for a lot of possibilities (custom mappings!).

I often think it would be nice if I could utilise some of those controls for additional things. My biggest dream:
using the color wheels for EQ in Fairlight. Balls for frequency and gain, ring for Q. And of course all those pots for high/low cut/shelf and dynamics ...

Johannes
Last edited by Johannes Hoffmann on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apple M1 Max, 32GB, 32 GB GPU – macOS Monterey
almost retired: MacPro 5.1, 48GB, RX 580 – macOS Mojave

Heiko Thies

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Don't forget there is a mini panel out there too that has the dedicated buttons to add nodes etc. This is kind of one of the reasons to go for the bigger panel instead of the micro to have all the extra functionality. The mini also has two buttons right now that aren't even mapped until now for future usage. I suppose mapping these will be a higher priority than adding functionality to buttons which will be hard to explain to new users as they are not marked on the hardware for having addional functions. So while I completely understand where you are coming from, just keep this in mind and don't get your hopes up too high. From BMD's perspective it just doesn't make much sense to do it.

roger.magnusson

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 2:25 pm

Well, from a customer perspective it makes perfect sense since it's a bit of a flaw in an otherwise great product.

Grant Petty seems very passionate about bringing the tools to everyone so I'm not sure it's a clear case of BMD saying "just buy the more expensive model which isn't portable". And Peter didn't say no. :)

Heiko Thies

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Don't get my wrong, I'm all for additional features to all of the panels. Just trying to put things in perspective. While BMD is doing an amazing job with adding to Resolve with each release, they fight on a lot of fronts all at once, so they certainly have to pick their fights carefully.

To add to the topic and not just try and burst bubbles, might I suggest looking into the xkeys series. These are fully programmable addtional keypads which can also be labeled. I'm using the 24 key model with my BMD mini panel in Resolve and it works like a charme. That way I can add all the stuff even the mini panel is missing right now. This would especially complement the micro panel and what you are trying to accomplish.

You'll find them at: http://xkeys.com/xkeys.php

roger.magnusson

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks, an X-Keys device is a fine alternative. I just like the idea of a single portable device using only the Micro and I'm sure others feel the same way. The only thing we can be sure of is that if we don't ask for changes we're not going to get them.

carsonjones

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Just set up a new workstation and while I appreciate the full features of the mini panel, colour grading isn't the only thing I do (retouching, 3D / CGI, animation, etc.). I don't want a grading panel requiring a heap of desktop space which the mini panel does.

The Micro Panel is an otherwise perfect solution except for the lack of a New Node button / shortcut. I think the suggestion that allows the Stop button to be a modifier key when playback isn't in use is a fantastic idea and could likely be implemented with a software update. That or just release a newer version that includes dedicated node buttons!

The main reason that I would prefer the Micro Panel is for its smaller size and portability. When not in use this would be stored under the desk in a sliding shelf for easy access. Also, easily connecting it to the workstation via just USB is brilliant.

Fingers crossed that BM see the wisdom in adding 'New Node' functionality to what looks like an otherwise perfect product.

Dermot Shane

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Streamdeck.... tiny and transportable

carsonjones

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 12:57 am

Dermot Shane wrote:Streamdeck.... tiny and transportable

Ordered one of these. Thanks for the tip. Would still be best to have a new node button on the Micro Panel (or shortcuts).

KLISLA

PostSat Apr 06, 2019 3:59 pm

Just purchased the micro panel and I totally agree. Using the stop button and pressing next or previous node to add a node before or after would be great.
I'm all for speed and once you are on the flow you don't want to go to back and forth to the keyboard.
This would be a great addition
Kevin delaisla

Vit Reiter

PostSun Apr 07, 2019 7:57 am

More than this I miss the motion in the video using the wheel. Alternatively (the solution with the wheel is better) press and hold the prev / next frame to move in the video, do not jump to the first / last frame.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Return to DaVinci Resolve