Relinking footage in another format

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Roman Horvat

Relinking footage in another format

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 am

I have stumbled onto a problem and would like an advice on how to solve it.

I am a former Resolve 11 user and moving on to a new system I installed the Resolve 14 programme. The cameras I use are the FS700 and Nikon D600. The problem I have is that Resolve 11 could read the nikon files straight out of the camera but i had to convert the FS700 files into dnxhd and moving onto resolve 14 that has changed. Now it takes straight out of the camera FS700 files and i have to convert the nikon files, so now it would not link any of my files that i convert from nikon probably because it is in another format after the conversion. How could i solve this problem? How can i link them?

Thank you.

Hector Berrebi

Re: Relinking footage in another format

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Roman Horvat wrote: so now it would not link any of my files that i convert from nikon probably because it is in another format after the conversion. How could i solve this problem? How can i link them?

Thank you.

Hi Roman

there are several ways to do this in Resolve.

Here are 3 ;)

1. Using the Timelines > Import > Additional Clips With Loose Filename Match command which ignores file extensions

2. Using the Reconform From Bin(s) command (p 592 in manual)

3. Using the Reconform from Media Storage command (follows in manual)
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Roman Horvat

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 3:25 pm

Thank you Hector!! :)

Marc Wielage

PostSat Feb 17, 2018 9:56 am

I would also add that even though you can technically relink to the original 4K H.264 files, you shouldn't necessarily do this. For a lot of reasons, DNxHD and DNxHR will play back with fewer problems than H.264, and I think transcoding the camera material to this format is a better idea. This will reduce the processing load on your system and make life a little easier. (For the same reasons, ProRes 422HQ is a better idea for 8-bit material on the Mac.)

If it's a 10-bit image source, there are a few other options, but I believe those cameras are 8-bit only.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve