Timeline to Output Tone & Gamut Mapping?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Piotr Wozniacki

Timeline to Output Tone & Gamut Mapping?

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 8:30 am

I've been working with RCM (grading for PQ) since day one, and must confess I cannot grasp those 2 new Project Settings items. My general experience so far is that when I use proper values (e.g. for Max. Timeline Luminance, or Saturation Knee/Max) - nothing interesting happens that would make me want use those new controls, while on the other hand - by entering non-optimal parameters for them it's very easy to completely spoil the Output image.

What is the real value and purpose of these 2 new settings in Resolve 14's RCM?

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Hector Berrebi

Re: Timeline to Output Tone & Gamut Mapping?

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 12:07 pm

Piotr Wozniacki wrote:What is the real value and purpose of these 2 new settings in Resolve 14's RCM?

Piotr

Hey Piotr

They are meant to properly (and visually pleasingly) re-scale luma and saturation when outputting to a smaller color space.

This video explains it nicely starting minute 5:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=DGY14ygjpLU

I'v only used them in the Color Space Transform OFX workflows, where they made more sense to me and what I was doing.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Piotr Wozniacki

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Thanks a lot, Hector - it makes sense now :)

Piotr
AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP3200 | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

zhugepoyu

PostThu May 31, 2018 9:17 am

Thanks a lot, Hector,Piotr.

Antonio Sanmarful

PostFri Jul 24, 2020 9:42 am

I have been having a problem using the timeline to output tone mappping.

I have a 350 nits monitor. So I have set up the Max. Timeline Luminance to 350.

When the image is still I can see everything perfectly but when I play it feels like it goes back to 100 nits. The highlights get crushed, and lose all the detail.

Anyone knows what is happening? Can it be a hardware limitation.

I am using the Ryzen 9 cpu.
GPU MSI 2060 8G super
RAM 32gb

Footage is 4k Vlog/VGamut and is using DaVinci's color transform.

And thank you for your attention

Return to DaVinci Resolve