ProRes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mbrojanowski

ProRes

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Brand spanking new to this..... If I shoot in ProRes (which I understand is Apple technology) will I be able to format and edit the footage in Davinci on a windows 10 pc? Also can you import scenes with (text message) animation made on finalcut to Davinci and edit it into the film??

Uli Plank

Re: ProRes

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:35 am

Yes, Resolve can read ProRes on a PC, but you'll need to deliver in another format.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Marc Wielage

Re: ProRes

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 6:38 am

mbrojanowski wrote:Brand spanking new to this..... If I shoot in ProRes (which I understand is Apple technology) will I be able to format and edit the footage in Davinci on a windows 10 pc? Also can you import scenes with (text message) animation made on finalcut to Davinci and edit it into the film??

If I understand the first question, you can play back and edit ProRes under Windows, but you can't render a new ProRes file from the session. You can only do that from the Mac OS version or the Linux Advanced Resolve version. You can deliver high-quality formats like DNxHR and DNxHD 444, which are visually identical to the best ProRes formats.

An FCPX clip with FCPX animation (assuming this is a plug-in) will only work in FCPX. If you render that out as ProRes, then the effect can be used in any editing session, including Resolve.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve