Suggested Workflow? Importing Spanned AVCHD

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jesse Barlow

Suggested Workflow? Importing Spanned AVCHD

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 pm

After days of grading and roundtripping from Premiere to Resolve to Premiere, realized Resolve never imported the full, spanned AVCHD clip (only 11 minutes), so the graded footage exported from Resolve is incomplete. I would like to achieve:
1. Import full AVCHD .MTS spanned clips into Resolve, without re-wrapping or transcoding
2. Grade using Optimized Media (perform all transcoding for grading directly in Resolve without using FFmpgX, Handbrake, etc. beforehand)

What is the workflow to achieve this?

Roen Davis

Re: Suggested Workflow? Importing Spanned AVCHD

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 12:38 am

I have had similar troubles in the past. I have found that an XML from Premiere doesnt seem to link to the spanned clip but just the first file. It can be a real headache. Have you tried importing the entire directory using the Media page? I am pretty sure that is how I got around it. It is a pain for trying to be economical with space as pulling the entire directory takes up a lot more space. Within the AVCHD parent directory are utility files to facilitate the spanning. (I think!!!)
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Jesse Barlow

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 3:42 am

I imported all of the original AVCHD .MTS files directly into Resolve and did not export XML from Premiere. In doing so only parts of the spanned clips imported, but not the entire spanned clips.

PSimpso

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 6:56 pm

Resolve 16.1 (the public beta) fixes this issue.

Return to DaVinci Resolve