Speeding up cut clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

rylcrazy

Speeding up cut clips

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 pm

I am using version 14.0.0.078 and in my videos I take footage from anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, cut out what I dont need and then speed it up. However when I make the clips of footage and speed them up it includes footage that I cut out that occurs after my cut point. I.E. a building blows up and then it falls to the ground... I will cut the footage right before it begins to fall and speed up the clip of it blowing up. However, the sped up clip includes the building falling.

Is there anyway to prevent the footage from being included that I do not want or do I have to manually go find the point at which I cut it before and go cut it again?

Hector Berrebi

Re: Speeding up cut clips

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 8:50 am

rylcrazy wrote:Is there anyway to prevent the footage from being included that I do not want or do I have to manually go find the point at which I cut it before and go cut it again?

The process of speeding up clips in post involves removing frames from original footage.
Since your output time base (fps) remains the same, the inevitable result is choosing between:
A. Shorter clips than original (if building took 20 sec to blow up, now it takes 10)
B. Introduction of whatever comes later in your footage to maintain identical duration.

In Resolve, when you retime a clip using Change Clip Speed, you can choose for it to ripple or not, which will or won't introduce extra footage to speeding up.
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

rylcrazy

Re: Speeding up cut clips

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Thank you so much!

Return to DaVinci Resolve